Career Confusion---it's Paralyzing!

1. Hello, everyone!

I'm writing this because I am confused, and I need to vent. :confused1: I'm hoping that maybe some of you are in/were in the same situation as myself and can give me some advice as to what I should do or what you yourself did when you encountered this problem.

I used to teach high school, but burned out after about 6 years. I got sick of all the hard work and little pay, very little free time for friends and family on the weekend. I'm married now (wasn't then) and am getting ready to have my own family. So I left teaching in search for a job....something where I could go to work, come home and not worry about it.

I work for an online retailer in a contact center. I take a few phone calls, but mostly deal with writing customer emails and live chat. There are aspects about it I love, mainly not having to entertain a room full of misbehaving adolescents, free time in the evenings and weekends and pretty decent pay for what I do.

HOWEVER....I am having a bit of a self-esteem issue. Sometimes I say to myself "You used to be a teacher. A TEACHER. You were in charge. Now look at yourself, sitting here plugged into your computer like a little peon! LOL" And then I question if I wasted my college degree.:crybaby:

BUT....when I was teaching, I'd say to myself, "What are you doing? You went to college for this? To basically work at big kid daycare, dealing with kids who are 4'nothing telling you to F*** off? :cursing:You're better than this!"

I don't know what I want, I don't know what I should do or what mental approach I should take to this. Anyone here ever been in a similar situation? What did you do and how did you handle it?

2. BTW I'm almost 33 years old and lots of the people at the contact center are early to mid 20's.....maybe that's making me feel strange. I'm older than them but I'm not "old." I just wonder if I'm wasting my time at a job I could have done straight out of high school. Hmmmmmmm.........

3. Well I think the job you are doing sounds really interesting. And by the sounds of it, it works perfectly if you are planning to have a family, as you will then be focusing on a new baby, and other things will have to go on the backburner for a while.

And you are still a teacher, you can go back to that later if you so choose.

I can't really offer much help or advice sorry, just encouragement!

4. Ummmm...

Honestly, if you like what you do....other things can be well tolerated. When you keep encountering problems, it seems like it can be an indication that your are still trying to fiquere out what you like to do.

Maybe you need to just look alittle harder and research into other fields you can entertain with the degree you have?

5. From the perspective of being a retail customer, I love that there are intelligent people like you working as customer contact representatives! I bet you're very good at your job, can (and do!) think to help solve customer's problems, ensure full understanding of a question or issue and resolve it, etc. I don't know if you know but I'm sure your company values you highly because you have experience and maturity to handle your job professionally and represent them well to their customers.

From your personal perspective, the benefits of the job may outweigh some of the thoughts you're feeling, but of course, that's for you to decide. Working from home has its perks - like being able to be home for FedEx deliveries, for example :lol: - and this may be of greater benefit to you vs. some of the frustrations you felt at your "big kids daycare." You also mentioned free evenings and good pay, all pluses! And once you become pregnant, you'd definitely be much more comfy at home than standing on your feet all day.

BTW, do you get an employee discount for the retailer?:graucho:

Does your company offer opportunities to advance in your job, like taking on more responsibility for others, writing training manuals, training new people, stuff like that? In some customer contact centers, high-performing individuals have these opportunities, and with your background in education, this would give you an extra advantage.

And like Bubble Girl said, you have your teaching experience and credentials, so it's not like you're completely abandoning your teaching career. You could always go back! And you'd be the cool teacher with awesome live chat skills.:tup:

Good luck and keep us updated!