Career Change, Advice needed

1. I am contemplating a career change at 29. Problem is I have "golden hand cuffs" to my current job. The money is incredible (6 figures) and I am working from home, part-time.

Most would say, "What is the problem? You've got it made!" Problem is, I am SOOOO BORED and unfulfilled :hysteric: . I have been doing the same thing for 8 years and I will never advance or achieve anything greater than where I am now. It is a strickly sales job- commission only, so I will have up and down years and the stress of never having a steady pay check wears on me. Although, it is the only work situation I can make my own hours and not be managed.

So :idea: - I am thinking about going back to school for a phd in Psychology, but I would have to take a year of prereqs first. Then on to 3 more years of school. At the same time, DH and I are wanting to start a family, and I need to work through the first child. Not to mention the cost of grad school.

Help! I am feeling trapped in my current job and I don't know what to do?? It seems like I am hopelessly trapped in my current career. :crybaby:
  2. tabby, I'm sorry you feel trapped :flowers:

of course, everyone is totally different but on my reading of this, my first thought is stick with your job, its great & get your fulfilment & satisfaction out of everything else in your life. I don't have children, but I can imagine how great it must be to have a flexible job to work around them if you do. as opposed to a rigid one where you have to be in the office X amount of hours everyday.

I havea vaguely, kinda/not really/ similar situation in that I must in the next few eeks decide whether to give up my terribly 'cushy' role in my husbands company to go & get some formal qualifications (although I have had a sucessful business career for years ) to help with emigration red tape. :sad: it all involes lots of long hard thinking & consideration doesn't it?

I wish you well, what ever you decide to do. :flowers:
  3. oh, & I am just 30, so maybe in a more similar situation than I thought.

& totally off subject but that is a super cute little pup you have yourself there!! is he/she yours??
  4. I know, my situation sounds kind of silly... but I really want to help people. My job is so shallow!!

Thanks PAP!
  5. Sometimes you need to just make that leap. If you don't just jump to something else, you may never do it. Do you have something you really want to do?
  6. PAP- yep, she's mine, she is my husbands when she is a naughty girl!

Elong- Yes, I really want to help people with Panic Diorder, generalized anxiety and phobias....

Thought about getting a Masters in teaching and going into Health education for stress management, etc...
  7. Well, you need to go to school. Maybe you can stick with your job for however long it takes you and then leave?

8. LMAO!!! yes,... my husband uses that reasoning on me when my baby is a naughty boy...:biggrin: she is super cute!! give her a big cuddle from me! & good luck with the career change:biggrin:

ooh! good suggestion Elong!
  9. This is good advice. If you want to make a change just do it. I am in the same boat as you. I am so unhappy at my job that the money is just not worth it to me anymore. I handed in my notice last month and am going to leave my job at the end of October. I have no idea what I am even going to do yet but I needed to make the change. Even though I don't have a new job lined up, I feel like I less stressed now than I have in a very long time. I am looking forward to just relaxing for a couple of months while I decide what I want to do next.

Do you have savings and/or can you survive w/o a job for a few months until you find something new? I see that you are married so maybe you and your husband could live off his salary for a little while until you find something new. If you want to go back to school, do it now before you have children. It will be more difficult if you wait (though not impossible.)

Good luck.:flowers:
  10. Although I agree with the advice that you should do what you love, I have to add a bit...I earned my PhD in Clinical Psych 18 years ago. I began in private practice but saw the emergence of managed care coming down the pike and I quickly got out and carved a niche in doing fitness for duty evals, workplace prevention training, exec coaching, and such for private industry so that I could avoid insurance and managed care. I am telling you that because depending on where you live, managed care drives treatment, not the clinician. It used to be we could actually treat the patient, but now managed care limits the sessions and so on. Being in private practice is a very very hard way to earn a living, lot of responsibility, no health care benefits, no paid vacation, etc. I am not trying to be the negative one here, but please really take a look at all your options and examine why you want to be a therapist. I think we all know teachers who went into teaching because they wanted to shape minds and work with kids, only to be overwhelmed and frustrated with the teachers union, parents, red tape and such. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to hear more about the good, bad and ugly of the practice on psychology these days....
  11. If you're not happy with what you do, it makes the job so much harder. I personally would rather be happy and feel fulfilled than stay at a job that I hate unless the benefits of that job is really good. You have to weigh out the good and the bad for both scenarios. Good luck!
  12. Irishgal- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I tend to see only the good side of something I want to do, and only the bad side of what I don't want to do ;) .

I am really good at my job, which is why everyone tells me not to quit. I think Park Avenue Princess hit the nail on the head when she talked about getting satisfaction from everything else.

You guys give great advice! And you are free :p (Sorry irishgal)
  13. wow... it seems like you already got a GREAT JOB :p
    i think maybe you should start having small courses, but let's not abandoned your job for now. you might regret it.
    i quit my steady job about 4 yrs ago to go freelance, yes it made me happier cause i can work at home & arrange my own schedule. but the downside is my income is not steady, and although i get more money than my monthly wage, it usually took longer to receive the payment, could be 1-2 months after the job's delivered. so in the end, i still have headaches when i'm digging my savings to pay bills.
  14. I think you should do whatever makes you the happiest. I'm in the process of applying for my PhD (Russian literature), and I'm worried about giving up my salary and going back to the life of a student too, but I really want it more than anything else.

First, getting a PhD shouldn't cost you any money-at least in terms of the tuition. Any decent program you apply to should offer to cover your tuition and give you a stipend to live on (LOL, it will not be anywhere close to 6 figures though!). If your husband is employed, you two should sit down together when you apply & work out the financial costs of you being in school, it might not hurt you that much if you start socking away a portion of your salary now.

I say take the few prereq classes now part time while you're able to bring in your income. If you love your classes enough to want to do it full time after taking your prereqs, apply for your PhD.

I know quite a few people that have had babies while getting PhDs. They used the summer (usually no classes, less clases during the summer) & university provided daycare to their advantage. Or another option is taking additional time to get your PhD. Does it really matter if it takes you 4 years rather than 3?

I hope you do whatever makes you happiest! Good luck!
  15. That's what I was going to say! :yes: Since your job is only part time you should be able to fit a few classes in and make sure it's what you want to do. My boyfriend and I each rushed through different programs just to want to be done ... and found out that neither of us really want to do what we majored in, so it's back to school for both of us! Take your time and don't give up on the well paying job until you're sure.