Car driven into Glasgow airport terminal building

1. 'Car on fire' driven into Glasgow airport

By staff and agencies

Last Updated: 4:39pm BST 30/06/2007

Police have confirmed a vehicle has driven into the terminal building in Glasgow Airport and is now on fire.
    Earlier, the BBC reported witnesses saying a car on fire had tried to drive into the airport through the main doors.
    The car's occupants were seen fighting with police inside the terminal, they said.

The airport has been evacuated and all flights are suspended.

The Strathclyde Fire Service is at the scene. There were no immediate reports of any injuries.
    Witness James Edgar told Sky News he was in the airport during the incident.

He said a four-wheel drive, believed to be a Cherokee Jeep, tried to drive into the building, but was stopped by security barriers.

"I was in the airport booking a holiday, suddenly people were running as if they were missing their flight, but then we were told to get out of the airport," he said. "A four-by-four had rammed into the building and caught on fire.

"Police were scuffling with a gentleman."

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said it was too early to say whether today's incident was terrorist related.
    She said the vehicle had not penetrated the building and the blaze was under control.

The incident happened at about 3.15pm. It comes one day after police in London foiled two car bomb attacks in the capital.
  2. Oh my! I wonder if this is connected to what happened yesterday..
  3. latest reports say it was not an accident, it was planned. two men were inside the car.
  4. This is incredibly scary, where next? Almost puts me off travelling this year.
    Police say it points to Al Qaeda!
    That's two botched jobs, London yesterday & today Glasgow, noone hurt thank God but they will try harder next time :sad:
  5. This is really scary, they were lucky no passers by were hurt. Makes me think this probably isn't the best time for me to go to the airport on Monday. Still you can't live in fear.
  6. ITN is reporting that the hospital where one of the drivers of the car were taken has been evacuated. The person had on an explosive vest so they got it off him and took it to a nearby cricket field to be detonated.
  7. This is about Glasgow. But, reports coming in, Heathrow have got a similar situation. Unconfirmed report explosion at Heathrow.

Several airports, Newcastle, Blackpool, Edinburgh are not allowing cars to drop off, they are having to get out of their cars etc at the nearby roundabout, and walk.

An apparent car bomb attack on Glasgow airport has ended in terrifying failure.

Witnesses said a blazing Cherokee jeep containing two Asian-looking men crashed through the doors of the main terminal building.
    A man with his clothes on fire got out of the vehicle and was restrained by passengers and police while others put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. Two men were later arrested.
    The airport was closed and passengers were cleared from the terminal building amid fears that it was a terrorist attack.
    The incident came as police in London continued to search for terrorists who planted two car bombs which failed to detonate in the heart of the capital.
    A spokesman for the airport's operators, the British Airports Authority, said emergency services were at the scene.
    He said: "A car is on fire at the entrance to the terminal and there is considerable smoke damage to the terminal. The terminal has been evacuated as a result of this and all flights have now been suspended. This is the start of the busy summer holiday period, although Saturdays are less busy than week days.
    "But this will cause disruption and our advice to passengers is to check with their airline to establish if their flight will be operating."
    Another eyewitness, taxi driver Ian Crosby, said he was in no doubt that it was a terrorist attack.
    "It looks to me like these people were intent on doing some serious damage," he told the BBC. "There was smoke coming from inside of the back seats," he said. "Immediately I realised this was a terrorist attack. Somebody had planned this. This was no accident."
  8. That is just terrible & I am sorry to those who live in the areas affected.
  9. this is awful! What is wrong with people? I hope the police/intelligence can continue to keep it under control over there, so far they are doing a great job.
  10. Oh, my GOD!

Thank God nobody in the terminal was injured.

Ladies, for those who are travelling, I'm praying that you stay safe.
  11. :cursing: why won't they ever stop??? :mad:

ugh, i'm flying on monday too.. i'm not particularly worried about it but heathrow is going to be even more of a nightmare than usual :cursing:
  12. The man they took to the hospital has reportedly died. There is a news conference coming on soon. Meanwhile Bush is fishing in Kennebunkport while people here are getting ready to travel for the July 4th holiday. :cursing:
  13. I can't believe that there is a plane load of people still on the runway at Glasgow airport.

They have been sat there since 3.15pm. They should have already landed in Gran Canaria. They have been told there will be an announcement at 9.00pm. What is the betting the announcement will be that the crew are now over hours and are unable to fly the plane.

I can't believe what is happening.

John Lennon airport in Liverpool, now closed until further notice.
  14. Police are now saying during a news conference that this event has been linked to the two car bombs found in London. The news conference is on CNN right now, if anyone is interested in following this.

15. I haven't read that anywhere :confused1: On Skynews he's still in a critical condition so far.