Can't get motivated

1. During the summer, when I didn't have anything to do - no school and no job - I went to the gym 2x a week.

I got to a pretty good point after a while - ie. bench somewhat like 50 lbs, squat something like 100, 25-30 on various arm-press machines, etc.

But now I have school and a job, and I never have any energy anyway, so I don't go.

I'd like to go, but I can never get motivated.

Advice?

2. I was the same way -- when I started working after I finished my graduate degree, I was just too tired and unmotivated to go work out.

One day, I forced myself to bring my workout clothes to the office and changed into them before I left work at the end of the day. I had brought my workout stuff into work before, but each time I lost all motivation once I stepped foot outside my building. Changing at the office did make a difference.

Once I went that time, it was easier to get back into a workout routine. Even now, I have extraordinarily busy periods at work where there just aren't enough hours in the day to squeeze in a workout. Each time the hardest thing to do is go back to the gym that first time after the busy spell subsides ... but the lack of motivation subsides once I force myself to go back.

You'll be able to get back into it!! Good luck!

3. It's that first step that's so hard to take. Studies have proven that exercise gives us more energy, so if you can force yourself to stick with it for a couple weeks you will probably get the energy and motivation back to go regularly.

I saw your response on another thread, and exercise usually has a positive effect on our mood, too.

Best wishes!

4. ITA with boxermom.... but getting started is sooooo hard. And goal setting and meeting is reallly hard, too. I usually fool myself before I go to the gym into thinking how AMAZING I will feel when it's done.. and how much more productive I will be when I get home. I know when I am getting a little out of shape.. and then I TOTALLY reward myself when I get back "skinny". you know? Like, I will eyeball a pair of jeans or something... or even cute new workout clothes.. and when I can look totally hot in them.. I get them. Which causes me to want to workout more! It's a ridiculous cycle. so... my vote is to fool yourself into craving the workout high.. and look ahead to some hot designer jeans! GOOD LUCK!!!

5. I will say up front that this may not be what you want to hear, but I think it is true. When I was in grad school and had a horribly demanding schedule, I was at the gym at 5:00AM, worked out until about 6:30AM and then was at class by 8:30AM. I knew, and still believe, that it gave me an edge, kept my anxiety down, plus it was, quite frankly, the only part of my day I could control. It was difficult, I took one day at a time, I only went 4-5 times per week.

6. the problem is that once we start going it becomes a part of our lives. we discipline ourselves to make the time because we feel better. we become accustomed and wnjoy that adrenaline rush from exercise.
    for reasons we stop going. and it just takes missing that week and then we loose the energy. we loose the drive and head back to square one.
    its tough. but the rewards are too great.
    we must start slow and then go from there. the hardest part is beginning.

best of luck to you.

7. Wow :wtf:

It would be kind of dumb for me to ask how you did it, but I'm completely not a morning person. I can hardly get up for school at 6 AM, which is something I have to do.

8. I think one of the ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine is to look at it like an appointment. You keep appointments with the doctor, with your dentist. You go to meetings at work, or go to class. So why not make an appointment with your body, so to speak? :p

It's all about making it work within your current schedule. For example, during my first two years of college I went to class in the morning from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., then worked retail from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. In the time between work and school, I'd come home and put an exercise DVD on and do anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. This still gave me plenty of time to do homework, relax, eat, shower and get ready for my evening job.

During my last two years of college I quit working, but had unpaid internships. The only time I had to work out was in the evenings, anywhere from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. or so. I made the time, "penciled" in that appointment. By then, it had become a habit. I remember struggling one year and gaining weight, then I got right back on track and never forgot to take care of myself first.

Now that I'm done with school and doing the regular 8-to-5 grind, I go in the mornings. It was tough as balls getting used to it, but I'm so glad that I'm home by 5:30 p.m. and I don't have to worry about getting in a workout. I bring everything with me to the gym - clothes for the day, hair dryer, shampoo, everything - and get ready there. I have an hour and 15 minutes or so in the mornings to work out, and I make the most of it.

You don't necessarily have to go to a gym, either. You can walk or jog around your neighborhood, do exercise DVDs, invest in a set of weights and a stability ball, etc. There are some great weight-training and cardio DVDs out there that will give you a great workout, all done at home.

You have to take care of yourself first, and make you a priority. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true :nuts:

9. I found weights in the garage and I think I'll just try to do as much as I can do with 20 and 35 dumbells.

10. WOW Irishgal, I swear, I'm the laziest grad student ever, I'm in the gym by 9 and I'm out by 9:45. I need to develop this discipline, I'm working on it (off to work on the diss now in fact!).

11. ohhh yeah... and another thing I thought of... what about workout classes?? Group exercise classes like full body conditioning, or combat cardio or something like that.. they will give you a butt kicking workout and challenge you.. and they only take an hour.. I just think that something like that is quick and really works?