Cannot sleep because of a graphic image :(

1. :cry:

Last night before going to bed I was browsing a forum came across a graphic pic related to something "medical" (not really medical, but the best way I can describe it without saying it).

The pic was not actually real and I knew that immediately, however it was really disturbing for some reason. Anyway, I had trouble sleeping last night. It kept grossing me out and it reoccurred in my dreams And I am NOT the type of person that scary/creepy/gross things come into my dreams. Any movie/topic/whatever no matter how disturbing has never affected my dreams nor appetite. But this did. I have not been able to eat all day and it took me 4 hours to fall asleep last night. I do not know what to do because it is driving me crazy and I feel awful!

I was talking about it with my friend who is a psyc major and she said that if the image disturbs me so much I should look at it some more until I gradually desensitize to it.

What do you think about that? I would puke and have more nightmares if I have to see that image again!!!!!! She said that is a technique they teach in psychology. I just wanted opinions. Do you guys think I should just ignore it and hope I forget about it in a few weeks? Or should I try this systematic desensitization stuff??? I honestly almost cried it grossed me out that much !!

*** NOTE ***
    If anyone knows what image I am talking about PLEASE DO NOT MENTION IT IN THIS THREAD because I dont want it being brought up again PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

2. Wow, I'm sorry this disturbed you so much! I don't know about that desensitizing technique; I'd rather just get my mind on something else and eventually it will fade. I do know what you mean...sometimes I see something or read about something really disturbing and I get a mini episode of being 'obsessed' with it but eventually it goes away.

Hope that helps?
  3. Sorry this bothered you so much. :sad: If I were you...I'd just tell myself it wasn't real and then put it out of my mind and think about something else. :tup:

I mean...If you know it's not real...Then why let it get to you? KWIM...

So....when you do think about it..? Do this: (LOL, this is what I tell myself to get things I don't want to think about to go away.....)

Think...."It's not real anyways...ah, who cares...""I don't have time for this.." "I have other things to think about besides this..""I'm wasting all my time and energy on something that's not even real.";)

HTH!! :yes:
  4. My advice is, do not look at the picture again! Your memory of the picture will gradually fade over time. In the mean while, try to do someting fun to distract yourself.
  5. Aw thanks guys! I'm gonna watch a funny movie and try and forget about it.
    I think the systematic desensitization stuff would scar me worse!

ANYWAY..... I'm gonna go watch Office Space!

Thanks ladies :flowers:
  6. I would be tempted to say look at it and become desensitised but it really depends on the person. I became fascinated with gore etc and I've basically have no qualms about it at all.

Hopefully if you can end up forgetting about it and blocking it out then all luck to you :flowers:
  7. I wouldn't look at it again. There is another thread on here with a pic that had the same effect on me. I won't look at it again.
  8. I think I know what image you are talking about. I didn't look.

I get grossed out really easily and I try to limit my exposure to stuff I know will give me the creeps. (One of the many reasons I don't have cable and don't watch television very much).

All I can say is try to replace the image in your brain with something else. When I get the creeps, I distract myself. If all else fails, I begin doing a task that requires a great deal of concentration like a video game or math problem. That usually works to crowd the image out of my beain.

That said, I have a weird fear of gross public restrooms. Usually, I handle it by only going at home or in places like luxury hotels or fancy places where I KNOW the facilities are clean and new. But a while ago, I had to do a lot of travelling and didn't really have much control pver my surroundings. In that case, I used the desensitization method and it really worked. After a while I got used to it. Unfortunately, when my travels were over, I went back to my old ways. Now, years later, I still avoid public restrooms like the plague!
  9. it IS an icky photo, ITA:yes:
    We warned people, just just repeat over and over, it's only photoshop, photoshop, photoshop . . . . .
  10. Yea, I am pretty sure I know what pic you mean and that bothered me for a few days afterwards a lot!! But my mind got on other things, and now I don't even think about or anything like that. I do know that I will NOT go into that thread again as I am not taking that chance. The image/thought will leave you in a few days, just try not to concentrate on it.
  11. Thank heavens I didn't look.
  12. I wanna know which image so if someone wants to pm me or something? Lol. please? xx
  13. I think I know what pic you're talking about as well, and it grossed me out too! Although, it didn't have the same effect on me as it did on you. The only reason I'd agree with viewing it again is cause it's not real. If it was something real, I wouldn't support the idea of desensitization as I feel desensitizing certain realities might lead to complications down the road.
  14. I am sorry to hear that! I usually can't sleep very well after watching a scary movie. However I feel like hwat your friend said about desensitizing yourself may be true. I feel like I have seen soo many scary movies and watched allt hese ghost things, that I am now not so scared of it to the point where I can't sleep.

However that was over a long period of time.. not so much as staring at the same image over and over. Just take your mind off of it by watching something really cute and the total opposite of what is bothering you.

Feel better! Maybe you can fall asleep while watching a funny movie and it will make you dream of something funny :p
  15. me too. what is it?