Cancer food for my dog, food for thought for us..

1. I found out about 2 months ago that my female doxie, Millie, who I rescued about 2 months and 2 weeks ago has mammary cancer. Which, essentially is breast cancer. The reason is, she was used as a breeder and was never spayed..(spay and neuter your pets, please!). Anyway, one of the interventions is diet. I was lucky enough to be connected with a vet who has done extensive research at UC Davis vet school in the area of diet and breast cancer in dogs. She told me the following: No carbs, they feed the cancer, high protein, plus broccoli, spinach, and any other dark green vegetables. AND, 1200 of fish oil. So, as I dropped my Doritos I thought, if that diet significantly slows cancer in dogs....well, we all need to be aware of what we are eating. Just wanted to share..
  2. Oh I am so sorry. I have two doxies (spayed) and would be crushed if anything happened. My thoughts are with you and Millie!
  3. My prayers are with you and Millie as well:smile:
  4. Oh, good luck to you. Did you get the mascectomy (s) done? I know how hard this is. We had a kitty disgnosed with breast cancer. She had a triple mascectomy and went on a diet of only premium cat food and anti-oxident pills. She had a wonderful QUALITY year with us. Saying prayers for Millie.
  5. Oh, my!!! Going out to get green leafy vegetables for myself now!!!
  6. irishgal -- wishing you the very best luck and a speedy recovery for her. we've been researching cancer preventative measures too -- in addition to fish oil, look into daily selenium.
  7. This doesn't surprise me. I pulled my dog off of 'dog food' years ago. That stuff is soooooo bad for them. Their diet now consists of human grade grains, nuts, avocadoes and fresh meat. They are so much more healthier and do not suffer from allergy problems.

Irishgal - I said a little prayer for your dog.
  8. Thanks everyone. I will def look into the selenium, thanks dressage queen.
  9. I sincerely hope that your little baby will be okay. Hopefully the diet change and everything else helps. It really does give us somethng to think about!
    BTW do you give raw veggies? I give Maya carrots as snacks, but i'd like to branch out and give her more variety.
  10. Aww, Irish, I'm sorry about Millie :sad: How does her outcome look?

Good points about the diet/supplements.:yes:
  11. Irishgal, I'll definitely keep you and Millie in my prayers. What about Soy protein?
  12. To answer some questions, raw veggies are good as long as they are low sugar. Soy protein is great. Sadly Swanky, even with the treatment she is getting we will be lucky to give her another 8 months. However without the treatment she would have died within a few months. Given that she was rescued from an abusive home I wanted to give her some more time in a fun, exciting and damn fashionable home.:shame:
  13. :heart: you rock dude:yes:
  14. BTW, my two Chis are on "Castor and Pollux" dog food...all organic, human grade can find it at health food stores like Sprouts, etc.

It is DISGUSTING what is put in "normal" dog food: even Science Diet, Iams, etc...

I can't remember the name of the book, but I read it at Barnes and Noble. It is all about dog food and the gross stuff that they put in it:sad: YUCK!!