Cancer? Any thoughts appreciated...

1. I've been really down lately since my father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer in September 2006. Unfortunately, it was diagnosed late because my dad is not in the target age (under 50) of when this cancer usually shows up.

At first when he was diagnosed, doctors told our family it has spread towards the bone, but thank GOD not the spine. So far he has undergone hormone therapy injections for the last 4-5 months, and just this month he has stopped responding to it. :sad::sad::sad: He is very tired, and in a lot of pain and is on a lot of pain medication. Just recently, doctors told him he was anemic and he had to get blood transfusions the other day. After seeing him walk really slowly and wobbly to the car, I was really upset by this.

Today has been the most horrible day. I missed my train home from class today, and I had to wait 30 minutes and I had all this time to worry. I got into my car and lost it and cried for a good 20 minutes. (I feel somewhat relieved)

But after I got home, I have learned that my dad might have gotten Hepatitis B from my grandmother. This is the biggest blow because my dad's immune system is still pretty weak from fighting the cancer.

I feel so helpless right now, its really tough to be strong, and that's what my relatives are telling me. And I feel as though I need another good cry. It's killing me.

I really am wishing for a good outcome in all of this...........

I'm not sure if my dad is still eligible for the new drug for Provenge since he might have the Hep B virus, it is suppose to significantly increase the patient's survival rate.

I don't know, but I feel like its one bad blow after another. Any thoughts would be wonderful and deeply appreciated. Thank you all.

I'm just hoping tPF's good karma will help our situation.

Sorry for the long post... my thoughts are everywhere, and I'm just frazzled right now.

2. I am sooooo sorry. Gosh this must be so hard on you. Sickness is hard to deal with for the patient and their relatives. I know you want the best for your dad and Im sure the best will come for him. I will pray for your father and your family. Crying does help. Trust me.

3. ^Thank you so much. :biggrin:

4. awe..Im so sorry!**HUGS!**
    Been there..watched my FIL thru a cancer battle last year..It was mind blowingly intensely traumatic..On me and my entire family.I totally feel your stress.seriuosly.its not something i can even describe easily..as it was such an emotional roller coaster.
    B there for him...smile..cry when he isnt looking...as long as you are there for him..THATS WHAT COUNTS..he will know it and appreciate it.I swear.
    Just try to take care of yourself during this long process.
    I lost him in November..he was like a dad to me...it was 6 months of living hell watching his struggle.Do u have friends to talk to?if not..PLEASE feel free to Pm me anytime to talk..Ive been there..its not fun..but he needs your support!Im sure itll all work out and he'll be fine..My FIL had lung CA that spread to his brain..it was FUGLY..Always imagine how much worse it could be.Thats how I got thru it.I tried to think positive the whole time...I imagined how it could have been way worse....

5. So sorry about this. First, he must have the best treatment team in the area. Hopefully that is the case. You need to take care of yourself so that you can be there for him and other members of your family, so please talk to us and any other friends you have. PM me if needed. Also, please note that since you are under a lot of stress you may forget to do simple things, like eat, sleep, and generally be aware of what you are doing cause you will be absent minded, which is normal. We are here for you.

6. /hugs to you...

My Dad was diagnosed with leukemia when I was 7. He went from being the model of perfect health to having a 30% chance of survival. He had a bone marrow transplant and is going strong 14 years later. :smile: Luckily, at 7, I was too young to know what was going on at the time besides "Daddy was sick." Now, of course, he has pretty poor health (they always say a bone marrow transplant is like taking your body to the edge of death and then trying to bring it back... killing the cancer, but almost killing the person with it). He has a bad liver from all the pills, had to have a hip replacement a few years ago, the list goes on and on. I can't stand to go to hospitals now because of all of this... I almost break down when I enter one. Seeing my Dad in a hospital bed when he got his new hip made me break down.

...All in all... it's taught me to appreciate every day that we have and that old adage "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." I think we're all stronger having gone through that ordeal.

I hope your Dad gets better soon... you're in my thoughts. :smile:

7. ^ It's wonderful to know that your Dad is happy and healthy after everything!! It gives me such hope!!!! Thank you so much EmilyK!

Thank you Jill for your advice! I'm really taking it to heart. :yes:

Thank you Irishgal.. ah sleeping through the night is starting to get tough, but I'm hanging in there.

8. UGH. My mother passed away from lung cancer a few years ago. It's such a devetating time for the family and I greatly sympathize. I wish there was something I could say to make it better. I hope that your father comes through this okay! :sad:

9. I'm so sorry to hear about your father! Many of my family members have battled cancer so I'm very familiar with the way you're feeling right now. The only thing I can really say is remember to always be strong and try not to show your weakness when you're around him. Being cheery and supportive will only raise your father's spirits. :o) Take care and many hugs to ya!

10. My best friend is in her 50's i'm only 19 so when she told me she had cancer i just about died, i kept thinking aobut death ... but now i think cancer is so treatable and not a death sentance that people make it out to be... people can recover and live happy lives.... regardless of age!

11. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, juicy. It must be a very tumultious time with many uncertainties and heartache.

All I can say is to keep a strong face for your Dad and be there for him as much as you can. I know this is harder said than done, but I have been through a very similar experience with my father and you can only do what you can.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk. :heart:

12. Oh what a horrible time for you and your family..I'm so very sorry to hear your news. But crying is good, therapeutic almost as you certainly need to let these emotions out and that it IS ok for you to feel vulnerable and somewhat lost. Like the other ladies mentioned make sure to take care of yourself, for your own well being and so you can be strong for your dad. I hope you are close to your family so you can bond together and don't be afraid to ask the doctors LOTS of questions about drug treatment possibilities, especially in lieu of this possible Hep.B. I'll say a prayer for you and your dad-big hugs for you honey:heart: !! Please keep us up to date on how both you and he are doing!
    Meg

13. I am incredibly sorry this is happening to you and your father. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. God Bless you! Just think positive and keep the faith.

14. I'm so so sorry about your dad. :crybaby:I will be praying for your dad and all of you.

I've been going through a similar thing with my big sister. She's my one true best friend through everything.
    We found out she had an inoperable, cancerous brain tumor the size of a golf ball right above her left ear a few years ago.
    It's wrapping itself around a major artery and there's no chance of surgery.
    It has been HELL, i tell you. Seeing her all drugged up on 6-7 different anti-seizure meds is torture. She is doing better now, and had radiation and it has shrunk 23%
    They gave her 10 to 12 yrs. when we first found out, but you never know.... :yes: She is the strongest person i'll EVER know.

Anyhow, yes, be strong, but PLEASE don't be afraid to cry and break down when you need to. It's perfectly ok to be sad and upset. I tried to hold it all in, and be the "strong one" in the family, but it ended up progressing into very nasty panic attacks, to the point i'd be curled up on the floor, hyperventilating and screaming, not knowing what was going on.

I know how you feel about things popping up to make things worse. That's what happened to my sister, too.
    It's really hard to watch someone you're SO close to go through all of this. It's torture. But just keep the hope that everything will level out and he'll be steady.
    Spend lots of time with him, just watching tv or whatever. It really helped my sister when i'd go to her house to hang out with her and watch funny stuff on TV. (We were partial to Sex and the City. lol)

I'll keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers. :heart:

15. PS-sometimes a good cry is what u need...especially when going thru this situation....I remember pullin up in front of a hallmark store during a sh*tty day....and just CRYING my heart heart in my car...LOL...I really needed to do that.Dont hold it all in.....noone knows U like U DO!!
    Sometimes we just need time to vent and feel upset..its how we deal with our personal problems.NEVER feel badly about crying...