Can you REALLY afford LV - or are you fakin'?

I'll tell you my answer: I do lots and lots of research before I actually buy a bag and it'll be months before I'll be able to get it. I like LV purses because they symbolize my hard earned money and such. But I don't want to have a purse addiction that causes me to have a whole bunch of purses and then no house to live in. :hrmm:

there's a lot of generalization here about people w/ money. . . . :sad:

The fact is, like everything else, some people know everything about a brand whther it's cars, jeans, handbags, hotels, etc. . .
and people who don't.
The people who don't still obviously buy these things, just don't obsess over them, they probably have another vice.

I would not be surprised if 98% of women carrying bags had NO idea what style name their bag is. I think most of them that are carrying designer bags know the brand but not the style name, Just like I don't know every style name of jenas in my closet, or shoes, etc. . . .

Before tpf, I was one of those people that don't know the name of the style of the bag, but knew if it was LV, Chanel, etc.

NOW, I KNOW!!!! (Except I still don't know some of the OLD bags that I own!) :smile:

I really love this question...and really got me thinking....

I really think that it depends on the person's personality and up bringing....

Some privillaged people I know love name brands...maybe b/c its not something that "regular" people will recongize, we assume other wise but certainly the wealthy do....My friend has so many versace dress shirts that are very loud in color and fabric that I cringe....but to those in the know...it is signature versace.....and that is the reason he buys them.....it may seem stealth wealth to those who are not....to those who are....it screams designer....that also goes for the Hermes purse....it might look like it is no-brand type of bag.....but the style of bag hasent changed b/c of the purpose for those who know (have money) to recongize them.....its just on a different scale

Some people have grown up with the knowelge of keeping their finances under wraps either rich or poor....some dont.....

But you know what....I do see one thing that does stand out......those that seem to covet the actual love of a bag or car or whatever....and that seems to be wealthy and poor...I think thats us....:lol:

LOL "SHE'S BACK!!!!"

:smile: Very cool thread.

I would have to say that it honestly depends on the person. Some who are extremely wealthy really are into the brand and know the name of the bag. Others who are really wealthy don't care at all--if its cute, they'll carry it...what in the #&#&*^* is a Speedy?!?!?!? :smile:

I do think that the very old money does tend to carry more discreet bags. For example, my grandparents are very wealthy and I have NEVER seen her carry a bag that has logos all over it.

I think its about what you are passionate about. Maybe this women has a boner for cosmetics and can tell you the name of all of her lipsticks. Or maybe she is obsessed with Diane Von F wrap dresses and knows the style name of each one. Maybe bags are just something to carry to her and not that important. I think it has nothing to do with money and more to do with interest level.

People usually buy what they like.

People with lots of money who don't have to think about what their spending still will buy what strikes their eye. I don't think it depends on how much money you have that will determine what kind of a bag you buy. I mean, look at Hermes....top of the line, but unless you KNOW those bags, you would never even know what bag that was.

Also, people have different ways of handling money.....really rich ones perhaps don't pay that much attention to how much something costs, but those who have worked hard for the money.....want to receive QUALITY for their money.

All in all, I think it just comes down to the old saying, "To each his own".

Um...I think may be the lady who wore Alma bag got it from her daughter or somebody.. :shrugs:

I, sometimes, bought my mom some LV bags (once in a while) and I knew the name of the bag while my mom didn't have a clue..

except for one thing that it's LV (because the LV bag was put in the LV box).. :roflmfao:

My mom knows a lot about LV (since she always bought that for me, when I asked for), but she just doesn't know the name of each piece (and I always named my LV according to the pattern, so when I called my mom usually understood what piece I was talking). When we're shopping at LV shop, she just chose the one that she thought it's perfect for me..That's it.. :yes:

Ps. My mom's just not buying LV for herself..she said one or two bags are enough!! :shame:

I personally don't like monogram much. I like vernis and epi the most. I don't wear lv to be showy, it's cause I actually like it. But this doesn't mean that I'm poor or wealthy. And of course, I am no way in debt from LV. Probably a bit of debt from my tuition though, med school is not cheap! =[

I love monogram but not a big fan on the MC. It's always funny to me too when people don't know the name of their bags.....it's like "I took the trouble to research this...why didn't you?" I'm like that though. I need to do my homework first!

Anne

We all know the style names because it is our interest/hobby. Before I found tPF I knew I liked LV but I didn't know all the little details about it that I do now. :yes: I've had LV SA's that don't even know the style names. :lol: I asked to see a Jasmin and they said huh? :confused1: So I had to point out which one. :P

To me it doesn't matter new or old money people will carry what they want and it is to each their own. What I think is more of an interesting question is why do ladies that purchase their first LV find it necessary to be crass and caddy and constantly make comments "Did you see that bag" OMG its fake, etc, etc. I compared it to mine and look.. that annoys me more than the filthy rich carrying what they want- more power to them. then theres the working class than think about their purchases, save for it and carry it proudly minus the snob effect you go girl!! (sorry if my typing sucks- got the flu)

I think its about what you are passionate about. Maybe this women has a boner for cosmetics and can tell you the name of all of her lipsticks. Or maybe she is obsessed with Diane Von F wrap dresses and knows the style name of each one. Maybe bags are just something to carry to her and not that important. I think it has nothing to do with money and more to do with interest level.

Totally agree :yes:

I bet about 90% have credit card debt because of LV purchases.

To be/get rich you have to buy things that appreciate NOT depreciate!!
that's the key.
Unless you want to work until your 70years old and can't enjoy your life because you have to watch every $$.
People with wealth are doing more important things like running their businesses not watching what new LV bag just came out.
Their wives on the hand enjoy shopping!!