Can I please get some legal advice? Shoplifting charge pressed against me by...

Intlset,

I know that you don't want to bug your parents about this, but I think it's time that you need to call them. Your academic record is extremely important. Right now, the school may view you as someone they can bully, but w/ your parents there to stand up for you, they might think twice. Good luck dear, and hope you get this resolved soon!

p.s.

Is this the type of box you guys saw?

construct_micro_poster_tube.jpg

spiralsnowman said:
Intlset,

Is this the type of box you guys saw?

postertube.jpg

No, it was not. It was just a longer, narrow cardboard box someone might use for moving. It wasn't one made for a specific purpose, like containing posters.

The bookstore just happened to use it to hold posters, but it was empty and unmarked when we took it.

I guess I am going to hear from the Vice Chancellor.

As far as the $200 goes, the school has said that is a matter for the bookstore and that I have to pay it then take them to small claims court.

I suggest you call your parents so they know how you are being mistreated! If you can't do something, I'm sure your parents can. They will probably be appalled!

^ Agreed. This is crazy. I've taken library books from my school by mistake, and they let me go after I explained that it was a mistake. Students make mistakes like this all the time. They are bullying you; I have a hunch the Chancellor will be much more understanding :smile:

p.s.

Was it like this?

5panel_folder.jpg

IntlSet said:
They won't give me a degree.

If the dean's jurisdiction is not the bookstore, the bookstore situation should not interfere with your academic degree (in a sane and logical world) Well, since they are refusing to back down, i guess it's time to tell your parents so they can help you hire an attorney. Let us know how it goes and hang in there! one thing i was thinking was that since you had the box in front of the cashier it was obvious you did not intend to steal it. oh well. Good luck!

varsha624 said:
If the dean's jurisdiction is not the bookstore, the bookstore situation should not interfere with your academic degree (in a sane and logical world) Well, since they are refusing to back down, i guess it's time to tell your parents so they can help you hire an attorney. Let us know how it goes and hang in there! one thing i was thinking was that since you had the box in front of the cashier it was obvious you did not intend to steal it. oh well. Good luck!

Well, it's charged to my student account. If my student account has a balance, I won't graduate!

I tell you I have read through this thread and still cannot figure out what your school is doing. I agreed with Jag's earlier point about paying the $200 as restitution, people pay "settlements" all the time and although they may be popularly thought of as such, legally they are truly not considered as per se admissions of guilt. Anyways, at this point I agree that you need to consult a criminal lawyer ( and tell your folks) to do the talking-- just to push back, as I said in my first post, there was no bad intent (to deny another of their property permanently) I'm not familiar with your state's or school's laws/policies but I just can't figure out what the motivation is behind this whole thing!

IntlSet said:
JAG, thank you soooo much! You know I adore you!!

I did end up talking to a really great attorney. He said not to do anything for now and see what the dean says. If I can even get in with the dean since I have to go up the bureaucratic chain!

Me too!:flowers: Just know I am here for you if you need ANYTHING! But this should definitely go away! We are all here for you in the meantime! Big hugs!