Can I please get some legal advice? Shoplifting charge pressed against me by...

jag said:
March into your deans office- this was an innocent mistake and you should not be penalized by having something like this on your record. Offer to pay restitution to the school in exchange that no charges, informal or otherwise, be brought against you. Don't be snide, just explain that this was a stupid mistake and you had no intention of stealing anything, you simply thought this was trash- it is afterall an empty cardboard box. Explain that you aspire to go to graduate school (even if you don't) and something like this could ruin your academic career (even if it won't). You would be happy to apologize to the store manager or whomever (with your best fake smile) to make ammence.

Good luck~ I am sure it will all work out!!! We are all here for you!!!

Thanks, Jag!

IntlSet said:
Haha, thanks, tr444!! I think my "attitude" came from the fact that I literally met with 3 different people, 3 times today, for a total of about 2 hours over a cardboard box. I will drop this attitude immediately, thanks for pointing that out.

WEll, I just meant that you will catch more flies with honey than with vineagar (I learned that the hard way). However, do have an air of "importance and self-worth" when you speak to them about yourself!! I hope this works out well for you!!

No problem sweetie!!!

I added this, and just wanted to make sure you see it:

ONe more thing: if there was any mention of a formal charge or ticket- you should call an attorney ASAP! This is something you can easily negotiate out of as a first time offense. In the end, you simply would pay a fine and the ticket would be held in abeyance for a period of time. If you are a good girl, then the charge/ticket simply goes away like it never happened.

Yes, I agree obviously it was an innocent mistake, there was no bad intent there, stress that to the Dean, and the possibility of this going on your record is not something that you can or will take lightly.

Ugh, that must be so stressful to have happen!

Are you talking about the poster mailer tubes? Like the hard round cylindrical ones? Regardless of if they sell these in the store, it is weird that if you had it at the check out that they wouldn't charge you for it or comment on it. If anything, isn't it the cashiers fault for not charging you for it if it was a piece of merchandise? I'd run it past your family's attorney, but that just seems a little strange to me! They should've just given you the chance to give the box back as unknowingly taking it from the store, and that would be the end of it! Sounds to me like someone (security) had too much time on their hand...

jag said:
No problem sweetie!!!

I added this, and just wanted to make sure you see it:

ONe more thing: if there was any mention of a formal charge or ticket- you should call an attorney ASAP! This is something you can easily negotiate out of as a first time offense. In the end, you simply would pay a fine and the ticket would be held in abeyance for a period of time. If you are a good girl, then the charge/ticket simply goes away like it never happened.

Thanks, Jag. A "formal charge" was mentioned by the director of the bookstore but he had to refer me to someone else for that. Apparently I will be contacted within a month to be informed that this will be placed on my academic record and whether or not actual criminal charges will be filed.

I did get the name of an incredible (and incredibly expensive) attorney but hopefully I won't have to call him! :wtf:

IntlSet said:
Thanks, Jag. A "formal charge" was mentioned by the director of the bookstore but he had to refer me to someone else for that. Apparently I will be contacted within a month to be informed that this will be placed on my academic record and whether or not actual criminal charges will be filed.

I did get the name of an incredible (and incredibly expensive) attorney but hopefully I won't have to call him! :wtf:

That seems awfully suspicious that they can wait that long to determine whether or not they will bring a formal charge. I would definitely call the attorney- trust me, the $$$ spent now on good representation will be the best money spent! This is the kind of matter that can easily be negotiated especially if its your first offense. This is not the kind of case that a prosecutor wants to spend tax dollars pursuing. seriously, its more paperwork than anything else so they will be happy to make it go away! And I would definitely have your dad call especially if he used to work or does work at the university. Maybe he can call in a favor and make it all go away!

nikki213 said:
That is INSANE! It's a piece of cardboard. Obviously this bookstore guy has nothing else to do and needs some excitement in his life. Sorry this happened!

I 100% agree!!..the whole thing is soo ridiculous:wtf: !! Attitude adjustment?!:rant: ...what are you suppose to do, lay down and take it and not stand up for yourself?!...maybe because you're a woman, I suppose!!:feminist: I'd like to do some adjusting with that cardboard tube to that :censor: sexist director and it won't be his attitude I'll be adjusting!! What a waste of time and money for your university!...I can't believe they're going to follow through with these absurd charges.

IntlSet said:
Also, this is very embarrassing, as my family is pretty involved with the university.

Well then I would stress that too at your meeting. And don't worry too much, no police station would ever waste their time with someone who picked up a EMPTY CARDBOARD BOX at a bookstore. What would the dollar amount of that be---20 cents? Just try your best with the Dean. Good Luck!!

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. It's insane! Seriously...the cardboard is worth what? $2? Maybe $4.

I find university policies insane. You have to fight this and fight it hard! Do NOT accept this on your record and there's no way a formal charge should be brought.

Gah! I am infuriated for you!!!