Can I do anything about people using my pictures on Ebay?

If you have sold your item to her, what's wrong if she's using the same pictures to resell it ?
I'm a professional ebay seller, i sell different stuff. For example i sell iphone cases, brand new etc... if a seller steal my pictures to list the same item i will report to ebay. But i also sell second hands luxury bags, but as there is only one piece exactly like this, it's not a problem if the buyer buy from me and use the pictures again if he wants to list again the bag. I got the money from him so i can give him my pictures too as i won't use them anymore )) that's just my way of thinking.

sorry for my bad english ((

What's wrong is that the buyers are not buying the rights to use someone else's photos, description, or other form of intellectual property, they are only buying the item in the listing. It is a violation of ebay policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html). If it's okay with the original seller, that's one thing, but if the original seller does not authorize it, it's wrong.

Personally, as a seller, I know how much time and effort goes into my photos. If someone else uses them without permission, it's frustrating, knowing they didn't put in the work to produce that image... If they want to sell something, either take the time and make the effort to ask to use my photos or put in the time and effort themselves to take new photos.

Not to mention, the condition of the item could change between the time the photo was taken and when the new owner lists it for sale. Even if it's a minor rub mark that occurred during shipping, it now means they are misrepresenting the item they have for sale.

^^^ :goodpost:

To add to Moxie's comments, there's another problem with unauthorized use of someone else's work.

Sellers often make an effort to develop a "style" as far as listing, photographing, describing and when prospective buyers see pictures they recognize, it could end up as a case of mistaken identity where they might think the new seller is the same person whose listings and service they're used to.

What's wrong is that the buyers are not buying the rights to use someone else's photos, description, or other form of intellectual property, they are only buying the item in the listing. It is a violation of ebay policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html). If it's okay with the original seller, that's one thing, but if the original seller does not authorize it, it's wrong.

Personally, as a seller, I know how much time and effort goes into my photos. If someone else uses them without permission, it's frustrating, knowing they didn't put in the work to produce that image... If they want to sell something, either take the time and make the effort to ask to use my photos or put in the time and effort themselves to take new photos.

Not to mention, the condition of the item could change between the time the photo was taken and when the new owner lists it for sale. Even if it's a minor rub mark that occurred during shipping, it now means they are misrepresenting the item they have for sale.
This.

If you have sold your item to her, what's wrong if she's using the same pictures to resell it ?
I'm a professional ebay seller, i sell different stuff. For example i sell iphone cases, brand new etc... if a seller steal my pictures to list the same item i will report to ebay. But i also sell second hands luxury bags, but as there is only one piece exactly like this, it's not a problem if the buyer buy from me and use the pictures again if he wants to list again the bag. I got the money from him so i can give him my pictures too as i won't use them anymore )) that's just my way of thinking.

sorry for my bad english ((

The legal owner of the photos and any item descriptions belong to the person who created them. That person owns the copyright to those items. Unless the owner gives permission for someone else to use that information, it is a violation of copyright laws.

The legal owner of the photos and any item descriptions belong to the person who created them. That person owns the copyright to those items. Unless the owner gives permission for someone else to use that information, it is a violation of copyright laws.

+1. In addition unless otherwise lised the purchase price the buyer pays only covers the price for the item the seller is selling, not the rights to the sellers pictures.

Originally Posted by Jennie's Aunt

=> i understand that, i'm a professional seller on ebay since 10 years and i'm really pissed when someone steal my pictures, when i give all my items to a photograph and pay 9dollar per picture to have the better one (i sell smartphone cases and i have my own brand of baby leather shoes). But for example i sell second hand bags too, i will use my picture only one time, so if the buyer wants to use it after or if it helps him to sell what he bought from me...even if there's copyright that's really not a big deal. I won't lose my time to make reports for that.

=> i understand that, i'm a professional seller on ebay since 10 years and i'm really pissed when someone steal my pictures, when i give all my items to a photograph and pay 9dollar per picture to have the better one (i sell smartphone cases and i have my own brand of baby leather shoes). But for example i sell second hand bags too, i will use my picture only one time, so if the buyer wants to use it after or if it helps him to sell what he bought from me...even if there's copyright that's really not a big deal. I won't lose my time to make reports for that.

I am not a professional seller and I take a lot of time and effort to take my photos and style them and write descriptions so I am mighty peeved if someone steals (yes, it is stealing) my photos! Maybe it is not a big deal to you but it is for many people.

Jennie's Aunt The legal owner of the photos and any item descriptions belong to the person who created them. That person owns the copyright to those items. Unless the owner gives permission for someone else to use that information said:
It doesn't matter to you if someone uses your photos - BUT that doesn't change the fact that if someone is using your property (photos or wording) without your approval is a copyright violation. That is theft plain and simple.

People should be upset if their property is being used without their authorization.

So what if a buyer purchases your custom baby leather shoes, and once she receives them, decides to sell them? By your statements, the condition hasn't changed (still new and hand made). Would you be OK with letting her use your $9 photos to sell the shoes she just bought from you?

After you've put time/effort/money into your photos, it doesn't matter. They're YOUR photos. Not the buyer's.

No you didn't understand what i meant sorry this is because of my bad english, if i sell an LV bag, for example, after i will sell it i won't have the same bag anymore, and i won't use anymore the pictures, if someone pick this picture to sell his bag, why would i make a fuss about it, as i won't use these pictures anymore. I'm sorry if you guys are upset, maybe this is just french mentality.
For my leather shoes this is not the same thing as i have stock and sell it. For my LV or chanel bags i only have one of each.
sorry again i have a poor english

I've had it happen more than once. One buyer was a jerk from the getgo so when she stole my pictures, I reported them without any warning to her. Ebay removed the listing and the thief didn't know who reported it.

The other buyer was very nice, communication was great (until the point where she stole the pictures) and I hadn't had any issues with her.

In that case, I sent a polite email telling her that I didn't mind that she was selling it. If her reason was because the item didn't work out, I was sorry but in the future, please request permission from sellers if you're going to use their pictures. I wished her luck and told her that I hope she'd be able to make a huge profit over what she paid.

She did write back, very apologetic and explained that the bag was too small so she couldn't use it.

(BTW, I have no issue if someone buys from me with the intention of flipping at a profit. I've sold at the price I wanted so I'm happy and if they can have a woo-hoo, good luck to them.)

I have spent 30 minutes just now trying to figure out how to report a member that has taken my pics and is now using them in a current ebay listing. This seller bought the bag from me on bonanza back in early June and the pics she is using were taken from that listing. She bought my bag but she didn't "buy" my pics! lol. I can't believe that the bag would still be in the same condition but even if it is she does not have permission to use my pics. I've tried to report to ebay but the only choice I can find is asking for MY listing on ebay where the pic were taken and of course I have no listing number.

If anyone knows another way to report please lmk! Thanks!

I have spent 30 minutes just now trying to figure out how to report a member that has taken my pics and is now using them in a current ebay listing. This seller bought the bag from me on bonanza back in early June and the pics she is using were taken from that listing. She bought my bag but she didn't "buy" my pics! lol. I can't believe that the bag would still be in the same condition but even if it is she does not have permission to use my pics. I've tried to report to ebay but the only choice I can find is asking for MY listing on ebay where the pic were taken and of course I have no listing number.

If anyone knows another way to report please lmk! Thanks!
I've heard that you can apply for VERO status on ebay. Then you can report the theft of your pictures, no matter where they are on the Internet. I know someone was successful getting ebay to remove a listing that stole her photos from tpf.

I've heard that you can apply for VERO status on ebay. Then you can report the theft of your pictures, no matter where they are on the Internet. I know someone was successful getting ebay to remove a listing that stole her photos from tpf.

Due to previous hair loss, I used to buy and sell a LOT of wigs. I also did video reviews on Vimeo for each wig, and there was this one seller who kept linking to my videos in her auctions. I asked her politely twice to stop linking to my videos, because the way she would word her auctions implied that it was ME listing the wigs, and she kept doing it so I just sent her the link below and told her I was about to go this route if she didn't knock it off, and that was all it took. Never had to actually go through the process. Anyway here's the link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html#highlights