Can anyone please help me? Is this a flaw

summer 71

O.G.
Aug 9, 2007
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg i got this Satin intreccio impero ayers knot clutch from a consignment shop and it is in excellent condition but just observed scales of the snakeskin are rough to the touch and seem flaky. I hope i am making sense. I have never owned anything in snake skin so i am not familar with it.

Last edited:
A) always a good idea to have everything you buy at a consignment store authenticated. Just in case.
B) snakeskin (Ayers, Python etc.) is rough to the touch when it isn't brand new. It's scaly, and they lift. Nothing you can do about it - it's generally pretty delicate.

View attachment 3483110 View attachment 3483109 View attachment 3483108 i got this Satin intreccio impero ayers knot clutch from a consignment shop and it is in excellent condition but just observed scales of the snakeskin are rough to the touch and seem flaky. I hope i am making sense. I have never owned anything in snake skin so i am not familar with it.
My BV snakeskin belt is smooth, probably glazed, but my python sandals by Gianvito Rossy are 'flaky', but soft, if this makes sense, kinda rough skin which you want to scratch and peel off (elbows skin feeling possibly?), i guess it depends on finishing.

hope, this will help:
My BV belt, all scales are small, the overall feel is sleek and smooth, looks like it was glazed
My GR sandals, python, scales are large, and they pop up, that's natural texture of the snakeskin, feels very soft

Attachments

• DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: papertiger
hope, this will help:
My BV belt, all scales are small, the overall feel is sleek and smooth, looks like it was glazed
My GR sandals, python, scales are large, and they pop up, that's natural texture of the snakeskin, feels very soft
Thank you so much for the pics. You have beautiful accessories. My bv clutch has small scales like ur belt but some scales are lifting and flaky. I think that must be due to normal wear and tear.

Thank you so much for the pics. You have beautiful accessories. My bv clutch has small scales like ur belt but some scales are lifting and flaky. I think that must be due to normal wear and tear.
I am pretty sure it's not yet wear and tear, from the pix it looks to me pretty new, i'd say it's natural feature of the snakeskin
as long as you're confident about authenticity, don't worry for the rest, but enjoy your beautiful and outstanding clutch! :smile:

I am pretty sure it's not yet wear and tear, from the pix it looks to me pretty new, i'd say it's natural feature of the snakeskin
as long as you're confident about authenticity, don't worry for the rest, but enjoy your beautiful and outstanding clutch! :smile:
Thank you soooo much ksuromax for putting my mind at ease. I am confident about the authenticity so i will keep it. Thanks again.

Reactions: ksuromax
Some more trivia... Snakeskin scales are largely made of keratin, the substance that makes up your fingernails. Scales will dry and can peel or lift away from the base layer. I wouldn't try to condition that small part next to the fabric for fear of getting the oily conditioner on that beautiful silk. But, if you ever buy a full snakeskin bag, it is wise to condition it once every other year.

Reactions: ksuromax
Some more trivia... Snakeskin scales are largely made of keratin, the substance that makes up your fingernails. Scales will dry and can peel or lift away from the base layer. I wouldn't try to condition that small part next to the fabric for fear of getting the oily conditioner on that beautiful silk. But, if you ever buy a full snakeskin bag, it is wise to condition it once every other year.

This is great info. Does it apply to Karung as well?