Can anyone help? Scalp burns...

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for dealing with a superdry scalp. I get really dry skin in the winter and have to moisturize constantly, but I'm obviously not doing such a good job with my hair because my scalp burns during and after shampooing and my hair is like straw. I am conditioning and not shampooing every day. I even use a leave-in treatment and I only blowdry maybe once a week when I'm really in a hurry. I plan to switch shampoos and ordered a few samples to try, but does anyone have any suggestions for a leave-in treatment or even another shampoo to try?

Here's my current lineup:

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo
Body Shop Olive conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream

Blowdryer is tourmaline/ionic.

I wouldn't even condition everyday-- if you have eczema the water can make it worse. The other thing I thought of is that you might have a sensitivity to sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, which is in most shampoos and conditioners. A lot of people are really sensitive to it and it can cause severely dry itchy patches. I would try switching to something SLS-free and ultra moisturizing, and only washing and conditioning once a week. If the problem is eczema or dry scalp, the natural oils in your hair should help calm things down when you stop washing/wetting it so much.

I also noticed that you're using Brilliant Brunette; do you color your hair? That could be causing problems too:shrugs:...

you should use a moisterizing shampoo. Some shampoos strip hair of the natural oils and thats why when you rinse, you might get that "straw like" feeling.

Dove Shampoo and Conditioner is what I recommend. I also have a dry scalp and it works wonders.

try a hot oil treatment.

I tried Frederick Fekai glossing cream (and shampoo and conditioner) and it doesnt do much for a dry scalp (except try and make it shiny) which is why there is olive oil in it.

Hi all, thank you for the advice! I've always used shampoos with SLS in them, hmm, I guess I could see if switching makes a difference! I don't really have dandruff, my scalp just hurts and burns. And I've never been diagnosed with eczema, but I just started googling it and I'm starting to wonder...I mean, my dry skin gets so bad that I literally scratch myself until I bleed (not to get graphic, but lots), and I get patches of rash, hmm. I've been to the doctor for it before but it's never been diagnosed as such. I will look into seeing a dermatologist. I do have diagnosed skin allergies, so I wonder if this has been the problem all along. Thank you so much!

My younger cousin had something similar to this. The doctor reccomended she wash her hair with Phisoderm. It worked, no more scabs! But I would check with the doc first just to be sure of what it is...

I would definitely see a dermatologist ASAP to get to the bottom of this, no use trying a bunch of things to see if they work or not when a professional can figure it out quicker. Let us know what happens!