Calorie Intake to lose weight?

1. I desperately need to lose AT LEAST 20 lbs. I would like to find out what everyone thought about how many calories i need to eat a day to lose weight. Also, the only exercise i get during the week would be walking my dog about a 1/2 mile three days a week. TIA for your suggestions!

2. just a suggestion...maybe 1000kcal? average women needs about 1500kcal/day, so in theory, eating 1000kcal would help one lose weight pretty safely. however, the more active one is, the more calories would be used up/required. hope this helps :smile:

3. It's all about portion sizes. and don't drink your calories either!

4. I think 1000 cal/day is too little (unless you're 5'). Maybe 1200-1300 depending on your height.
    Also, do a quick search in this forum. There are numerous threads with ideas about how to safely lose weight.

Good luck!

5. There is a formula...something to do with how much you weigh at the moment...let me see if i can find it...

6. 1500 calories i think is safe.

To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat... so running helps. But the key in losing weight is watching what you eat. Hmmm, maybe you can re-structure what you're eating too.

Lifting weights also helps shape your body and increase your metabolism... so I would throw that in your routine to get everything tight. If you're not a member at the gym, you can always do certain exercises at home (sit ups, push ups, jump rope).

7. thanks all for your much needed advice! i think for the past 2 weeks i've been eating b/w 1000-1600 calories/day.

Danica- thanks, i found the website & it says to consume about 1300/day, which i can definately do!

8. I think 3500 calories = 1 lb. So if you reduce your calories or burn 500 calories a day you'll lose a pound a week. I'm trying to lose at least 2lbs a week so i have to burn or reduce my calories by 7000 per week!! Did I confuse you??? :push:

9. HOWEVER DO NOT DROP TOO MANY CALORIES A DAY AT THE SAME TIME! IT'S BETTER TO STEADILY DECREASE CALORIES, UNLESS YOU WANT TO ******* METABOLISM. This is very important. You need to trick your body somehow. Eat regularly, 5-6 small meals a day. If your metabolism lowers the lower calory intake will have less effect.

10. If you make simple lifestyle changes you will lose weight. Dont drink any caloric drinks, dont eat after 7:30Pm (Decreases how much you eat), dont snack between meals unless its a piece of fruit etc.

11. I'd say 1500 too. I used to do the typical 1200 calories and by week 3 always binged. I figurered out this formula. Take the chart to see how much it takes to MAINTAIN your DESIRED weight. Thats how I did it rather than starve. I was to eat 1600 calories to maintain 120. I was 125. So I figured if I eat to maintain 120 but I'm 125 I'll naturally lose weight and I did. Yes, it was slower, but I was never starving and learned to eat healthier. My problem was if I had a glass of wine on an empty stomach, then I would binge. If you do this and exercise I think it should work. I know it sounds crazy though.

12. I've always heard that you should never go below 1200 calories a day (as a general rule of thumb) because any less than that can actually cause your body to think that you are starving. In starvation mode, your metabolism slows down to conserve calories, so if you are trying to lose weight, you definitely don't want this to happen.

13. I have to wonder about these calorie calculators. I use fitday which I've seen recommended on a couple of different fitness forums and I'm nearly always told I'm burning more than I eat without including my exercise. But I'm not losing weight as such. And in case you're wondering, I actually round up when calculating my quantities!