Calling Shih-tzu owners

1. I am just wondering how you keep your dogs eyes clean? How you avoid around their eyes from getting discolored ?

My pup has gonefor 1 grooming, shampoo, nails cut, butt and that sorta stuff about a month ago. Basically just get him aquainted with the groomer.

Although i try and wash his face daily to keep it clean its not helping. He eats a good food (wellness for puppies) He's only bout 5 months old.

He goes next week for a full groom and puppy clip so he's going to feel naked. I'm hoping that when she grooms his face all that hair around his eyes is gone and cleaned up. But i'd like to prevent this in the future.

also how often do you groom your dog and bath him at home ?

thanks.

2. We take ours to be groomed once a month in the summer and every two in the winter. Our vet told us not to bath him more than every month (he has chronic ear problems and is on so many meds you would think he's 80 years old!)... I've never had problems with his eyes being clean. You may be irritating them by paying too much attention to them. His don't get discolored, but our Westie's did. We have the hair right there trimmed all the way down (like shaved completely) and haven't had any discoloration since.

3. ok thanks .. i'll ask about shaving it right now.

4. Water also plays an important factor in tear and mouth stains.

Roman use to have extreme tear stains and the vet suggested he get his tear ducts cleared while he was being neutred. Sounds extreme! But it was a simply procedure and his eyes aren't always tearing.

Roman drinks out of a water bottle since he was a puppy and that avoids him from dunking his head into the water bowl. Their face is short, so it's usually helps not having moisture on it.

Roman goes to the groomer once every 2 month and he's bath at home biweekly.

5. he drinks out of a water bottle ? please explain this. OMG that wet face from sticking his face i nthe bowl drives me crazy, then i have a pool of water on the floor from him :sad:

I will have to ask my vet about this tear duct cleaning, I've never heard of it before.

6. Our dogs have a "condo"...one of the large wicker-looking crates with a dog bed inside, and we attached a rabbit water bottle to the door of the crate (which stays open all day when we are home, and closed at night). Our Shih Tzu and Bichon LOVE the water bottle! They will go to the crate before they go to the water bowl in the kitchen. If you keep the hair around the inner corners of the eyes trimmed, that should help with tear stains. We only have our dogs groomed every few months...summer haircuts, etc., and sometimes we bathe them at home.

Pupsresized.jpg
  7. I too, take my Coco to the groomers every 4 weeks, to prevent the same problem. I didn't train her to drink from a water bottle, which I wish I did. She drinks her water and I always have to clean up after her, it sucks but I deal with it.

8. Hmmmm that is something I might try. My pup is the same way, crate is open all day when i'm home, otherwise he's in it and at night. might you he's not 100% house trained, or at least i'm not comfy yet with leaving him out all night.

9. [Maybe i'll try taking him to the groomer between cuts just for a face trim/bath. With luck that will help.

quote=Pelinaka]I too, take my Coco to the groomers every 4 weeks, to prevent the same problem. I didn't train her to drink from a water bottle, which I wish I did. She drinks her water and I always have to clean up after her, it sucks but I deal with it.[/quote]

10. Ours stay out some nights, but around 1:00 a.m. they will start to whine if we don't "put them to bed." Well, our Shih Tzu will just go on her own. She loves the crate. It is big enough that they can both go in and rest comfortably, and take a few toys. But the Bichon insists on one of us putting him up. If you say "night-night" or "kennel" they both go speeding in there!

11. Try Eye Envy www.eyeenvy.com

I use on my Cavalier and it really reduces the tear stains.

12. thanks i'll check it out.

13. Aww how cute is that :smile:

My puppy is the same way, he's like the kids he gets restless when he's tired and needs to go to bed.