Calling all yoga/pilaltes junkies- Does it work?

1. I am a sweat at the gym on the treadmill or eliptical, feel the burn kind of gal. I keep reading about all these stars that have toned & lost weight from yoga. I tried it once & thought how could I be doing anything for my body by basically stretching. My question is to all the yoga/pilaltes lovers is does it actually work, can you loose weight & how long does it take to see results?

2. I am a sweat at the gym on the treadmill or eliptical, feel the burn kind of gal. I keep reading about all these stars that have toned & lost weight from yoga. I tried it once & thought how could I be doing anything for my body by basically stretching. My question is to all the yoga/pilaltes lovers is does it actually work, can you lose weight & how long does it take to see results?

3. yes. in fact, it burns more fat than a cardio work out. the reason is because in a low impact exercise (like pilates) the body uses fat as a source of energy but in bursts of activity (like sprinting) the body will use ATP....just basic bio chem.

just like any form of exercise, the length of time to see results is varried and depends on the body type.

4. I could never get into yoga, jazzercise, or in fact any exercise regimen at all UNTIL!!!! PILATES! It works and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself -

5. yes it works! I never tried pilates, but I love yoga! I had a friend who lost a lot of weight from our strict, but amazing, yoga teacher when we went to high school together. I've been wanting to get back into it, but sadly, I have no self-discipline. But one thing I gained from yoga that I use everyday is the breathing technique. Like stated above, results vary depending on body type. You should really give it a try!

6. I am a pilates junkie... I do private 1 hour lessons two times a week. It is an amazing work out, really works your muscles and tones, and is low impact.

7. Megs, is 2 times a week enough to maintain your physique or do you also add other forms of cardio?

8. This entire statement is mostly false.

Fat burning is ONLY done in the presence of aerobic exercise; not in Yoga & Pilates so I'm not sure where you got this information from:confused1:

You DO burn calories absolutely in Pilates & Yoga but not fat. Pilates is not considered low impact (it is no impact at all)

In "bursts of energy" the body is mostly anaerobic (not needing oxygen)

ATP for those who don't know =Adenosine Triphosphate. It's a high-energy phosphate molecule required to provide energy for cellular function. It is produced BOTH aerobically AND anaerobically (NOT just for sprinting) and stored in the body.

Results from Yoga/Pilates will vary for EACH person. There are so many other factors- genetics....what are you eating ? ..... are you doing any other exercise in addition ??.... and of course doing cardio will burn the fat and you will see faster results.:yes:

9. i've been doing iyengar yoga 1-3x weekly and and pilates (reformer and tower) 3x weekly. i feel great, sleep really well, and clients often ask about my regime. also i am very into nutrition, food and clinical. feel very lucky to have all this in my life!:yes:

10. ITA!!!

Fat burning is essentiail for toning! Many of the people and especailly celebrities who have done pilates and had "amazing" results did also have a diet. Also remember that there are a lot of different types of especially yoga. Some of it is mostly relaxing, not burning anything in particular at all. Running on a threadmill or ellipsis training is still the most efficiaent way to brun fat if done at the right pace and or right intervals. BUT if pilates is more motivation and that will make you work out more, of course it's better.

11. I love pilates I go once a week for one hour to the mat based class. You do feel the burn esp in the abs and your glutes. in a lot of the positions you're holding the position so you definitely feel the burn. my abs have become more defined but I definitely do cardio (treadclimber, elliptical, etc.). gotta burn the fat off those ab muscles so you can see them better....give it a try.

12. i got it from a year or organic chemistry, one year of biochemistry, and an execise phys class...i wouldn't go against nobel prize winning professors (brown university dept. of biomed) and authors of countless publications so i stand by what they said

13. Hmmm, my degree is in public health in which I took many courses regarding excercise, nutrition, every science you can imagine, etc. ( I won't bore you with the terms and technical names). From what I have ever understood and followed is that most fat burning is done during your target heartrate phase of cardio exercise. I think (know for me) yoga and pilates def. help you strengthen and tone, probably helps a bit in burning fat (I know some of the practices I do get my heartrate up) but I would say someone who is substantially overweight that ops to only do yoga or pilates without cardio and diet changes will not see as much of a difference in their body as those who include cardio activities and healthy eating in their lifestyle. It's similar to someone carrying a lot of weight in their middle and trying to get cut abs by just doing sit ups, it doesn't quite work, you have to get rid of the layer of fat (for lack of a better way of saying) before the ab muscles can be visible, even though you may be building the muscle.......

14. Well... I was an athlete for most of my life- and have had the chance to see an amazing pilates instructor using machines etc. There has been quite a bit of research done showing that using pilates machines can lead to having a cardio benefit- and burning fat.

I can find a ton more info from my personal pilates instructor next week.

15. I love working out but get bored really easily- I have to do classes.
    I love Yoga because it's so relaxing and de-stressing- I NEED that.
    It increases flexibility and works muscles you never even knew you had!