Calling all girls from the South!

"over yonder," "in yonder," "up yonder," etc.

It's a very flexible location term, and flexible is a polite way to say it. It is as vague as "por alli" in Spanish, the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head.

The exact location of the "yonder" (or the "alli") is "in the mind of the speaker," meaning that it could be absolutely anywhere and is utterly useless when received as an answer to a question involving where something is, which is exactly how it is used, and the most probable answer you are going to get.

Haha, I'll never forget the first time I heard the word "yonder"---my parents went on a trip and hired an elderly spinster from the neighborhood, Mizz Turner, to babysit us. She was not the best babysitter for two little girls under the age of 6 to say the least. We were playing with something, I don't know what, and she didn't like us doing so, so she told us to "put it up yonder".:confused1: We had no idea where "yonder" was and were terrified to ask. Eventually she took the object away from us and took it to "yonder" which turned out to be high up on a shelf out of reach. Amazing that I can still remember this traumatic event!

lol, how on earth does the number 5 have more than one syllable?! please do tell! :cutesy:

"Fi uh ve" (Wow....that's three syllables!) I practiced saying "five" yesterday after posting that and tried to make it one syllable. If I go about an octave lower and scrunch up my face, I can make it one syllable. But it HURT and my face and lips looked really weird in order to do it. When I would then relax and just say "Five" then it was invariably more than syllable.

Holly di? Can you explain this any better? Because when I read what I just wrote, I don't understand it myself. Lol.

I actually caught my self when I said 'pop' instead of 'coke' yesterday. I may need to move back to Kentucky!!!
We always say "pop" in Toronto, so I don't know if that's a Southern thing... :shrugs:
ha, "used to could," i didn't even know that was a southern thing. i thought everyone said that!
I LOVE "used to could"... I want to start using it. How do I say it in a sentence -- I used to could type really fast but now I can't anymore? When I was younger, I used to could read without my glasses?

Like that? :P

My sister has lived in Texas for probably 30 years so I guess she qualifies as southern. Anyway, she was telling me about this really nice car called a "jagwire". I kept asking her to repeat it, it was so cute and confusing to me at the same time. Finally, I figured out that she meant "jaguar".

We always say "pop" in Toronto, so I don't know if that's a Southern thing... :shrugs:

I LOVE "used to could"... I want to start using it. How do I say it in a sentence -- I used to could type really fast but now I can't anymore? When I was younger, I used to could read without my glasses?

Like that? :P

nope, coke is a Southern thing because it was invented in (and still is based in) Atlanta. she was saying that she's got to watch herself because she's starting to say pop like a yankee!

and you used 'used to could' just right!

nope, coke is a Southern thing because it was invented in (and still is based in) Atlanta. she was saying that she's got to watch herself because she's starting to say pop like a yankee!
Got it! :smile:
Hey Jayne! That was GOOD. You are getting the hang of it really quickly. Come on down. We'll make a Southerner of you in no time! :yahoo:
I have a fascination with Tennessee for some reason. But Canadians don't move around like Americans do... I'm jealous!

I love this thread! So funny!

I went to New Orleans for a vacation several years ago.

I was waiting on a corner for a streetcar when two ladies with religous pamphlets stopped to give me a warning.

I was looking at a map and I had a camera on a shoulder strap. These nicely-dressed upper-middle-aged ladies told me:

"Dere be some baaaaad peeple roun 'ere.

Wit' tat dere map n camera, duh devil do come up."

Lots of people have this thought that people from the "southern region" of the United States speak like a bunch of ignorant hicks and laugh and our accents. I'd just like to say that not everybody speaks like we are a rooting tooting hill billie. :wtf:

This is sooo funny!!!. But you guys forgot about...

Caint (kaynt) = Can't
ie... I caint wait to buy another pocketbook. (btw.. pocketbook means purse here)

FOR-REAL-DOE = Really?
ie...
She says shes a size 8, I think she's a size 10 for-real-doe.

Wash-house = Laundromat
ie... I need to dropoff my clothes at the wash-house?

Ooooohhh... I almost forgot!!!!

Skreet & Skrraawberry!

GA. Peach, and I love:heart: it!

Lots of people have this thought that people from the "southern region" of the United States speak like a bunch of ignorant hicks and laugh and our accents. I'd just like to say that not everybody speaks like we are a rooting tooting hill billie. :wtf:

The range of accents is amazing. Recalling the special southern sayings is being done with affection, not malice. Charleston, SC, is voted the most polite US city every year! That can be said of most southern residents--they are very nice, kind people. Residents of NJ, NY, etc must get tired of the stereotype they get, too.