Calculating A Tip

1. How do you calculate a tip when an expensive bottle of wine or caviar radically pumps up the price without requiring extra service?
  2. Never happened yet but I'm eager to hear what others say.
  3. I just give 20% as always. (unless the service sucks) I figure if I can afford something expensive like that, I can certainly afford to tip.
  4. 20% or therabouts is my rule (rounded up or down into a whole number) my father owns a few resturants and i work at them from time to time and i know how much i enjoy getting tips and how i treat people who dont give tips so i do it soely for that reason (also here in australia tips are not mandatory, they are usually only awaded if extra special service is given)
  5. i give about 15-20 percent [depending on service] of the WHOLE cost, so including the cost of the expensive caviar/wine/etc etc.

in canada i think its like 10 percent you are like.. asked to pay or w/e
  6. I always give 20-25% on the total bill. It actually makes me feel good to tip people well. I give my wax lady a 50% tip when she does my eyebrows (because the service is so inexpensive) & ever since, she treats me like gold. You give & you get, I guess.
  7. I always give about 20%, rounding into a whole numer.
  8. I never tip, unless there is a service charge. This is how I see it, the resturant is alraedy making money off my meal so why should I fork out more money for the waiters. :confused1: I normally leave the coins so I never calculate as to what i will give unless I am a regular there, which is about 10%:graucho:
  9. I give 20% of the total usually regardless of if there is an expensive bottle of wine or champagne.
  10. Gee, I guess you never waited tables. That's pretty sad that you don't tip. The restaurant does not "fork out" any more money to the waitstaff.

I tip 15-20% at lunch time depending on service and 20-30% at dinner. Even if I have a discount or something similar, I always tip the amount of the check prior to discount. Waiters depend on tips for their income.
  11. Wow! You never tip?:sad: I worked as a waitress and I can tell you that is a hard job. I ALWAYS leave 20% for the waiter/waitress and say Thank You every time they come to the table and bring me something.
    The resturant doesn't give them extra money and I was even taxed extra on the tips I was "supposed" to be getting. Many times, people didn't tip and I got taxed on it! :crybaby:
    The tip is for the service, not the food. Maybe next time leave some paper money and not the noisy kind.You'll make that waiter/waitress smile :yes:
  12. I tip between 15-25% depending on the service. For delivery people i give a flat $5 and it's typically a single meal under $30 to begin with.
  13. I always tip twenty percent, sometimes more if there service was exceptional and sometimes less if they were jerks never nothing. It is a hard job being a waiter.
  14. If you're able to afford caviar or a radically expensive bottle of wine, the assumption is that you're also able to afford a big tip. ;)
  15. If we get good service, we tip. In fact, my husband is a BIG tipper. It's normal for him to leave for instance a $20 tip on a $20-$30 check. Needless to say, we have "friends" at every one of our favorite restaurants. They are wonderful people who work very hard and give excellent service. They deserve decent tips! They've got bills and oftentimes families to support with that money.

To the person here who says they don't tip. Please reconsider! What you're doing is not right. If you don't want to tip - then you should be eating at home.