Cabbage Soup Diet - I'm going for it!

1. OK, so I know fad diets aren't exactly the best for you. My first year in college I weighed 150lbs (on a 5'3 frame) and I decided to make a lifestyle change. I worked out, ate reasonable calories and over a two year time period I went down to 115lbs. I was able to sustain that....

...until I became a working professional 4 years ago. I have since gone back up to 130lbs. :crybaby: I still work out religiously but my eating habits are terrible. I know what I am suppose to do to lose the weight and I know that weight loss is a lifetime change, not a fad diet change.

But having said all that, I am 4 weeks away from my trip to Europe and I need a hard kick in the butt to get me in gear. From what I've learned, the Cabbage Soup Diet is basically a detoxification diet that enables dieters to eat as much cabbage soup as they want for 7 days. 7 days later you should be 10lbs lighter. I do expect to continue my regular work out regiment while on the diet and once the 7 days are over I plan on following Weight Watchers because I don't want to gain what I've lost back.

Anyhow, I wanted to let you ladies know that I am beginning it tomorrow (sunday) until next Sunday. I'll let you know if it really works or not! This is what I am allowed on the Cabbage Soup Diet:

Day One:
    Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and water.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Two:
    Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Three:
    Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Four:
    Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Five:
    Beef And Tomatos: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomtoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef one one of the beef days (but not both).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Six:
    Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart's content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day Seven:
    Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seven Keys to Success[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Follow the diet religiously.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drink at least 4 glasses of water per day[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keep in mind that it's only seven days[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Complement the diet with a good multivitamin tablet[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Print the information on this site so you can refer to it daily[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eat plenty of soup - as much as you want! Do not try to starve yourself or you'll probably cheat and break the diet[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Try different spices to liven up the soup and add variety[/FONT]
  2. Would this not induce some mad-gas?
  3. Hehe .:roflmfao: It most certainly does ! I remember when I was in eighth grade my mom and her friends went on this diet !

It really did work though . She lost ten pounds . Funny , how I remember it was I LOVED the soup and kept eating it all up . Gas ensued .

She did it again years later and I hated the soup ? I think you have to really daddy it up for it to be good .
  4. Also , I would bypass the bouillon and lipton soup mix .

Me and my fiancee are foodies so we always have frozen stocks in our basement . But if you don't , I would use Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock in lieu of water , skipping the lipton and bouillon . And add fresh parsley and lotsa fresh herbs .

You inspired me ! I think I'm gonna do it too !
  5. Will this really work??

10 lbs works out to about 4.5kg. In a week no less! I'm SOOOOO tempted!
  6. If you ladies want to do it together we can set up a diary! I have to say, I am not too encouraged by the whole gas thing. I do work!

I wonder how much energy I'll have to do cardio? In any event, I am going to the store today to load up on cabbage. Sophie, thanks for the tip about the chicken broth and the Lipton soup mix!
  7. ^I would take some Beano for the gas... Otherwise Dh might kick me out.
  8. How do you make the soup?
  9. Ugh, I think all of that meat would make me sick.

...heck, I feel sick just from reading this...Bleh.

The only thing you'd really lose is water weight anyway.
  10. Okay, are you ready? Here we go:
    Put all vegetables in a big pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, stir in the soup mix (if desired), and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Stir in the black pepper and chopped herbs (saving some for garnish). Eat as much of the soup as you like, as often as you like. Drink as much water as you like and non-caloric drinks including coffee, tea, and herbal teas.

11. Eeee! That's exactly what I was thinking!
  12. Good luck with this diet, it seems like a great idea and will help you get where you want really quick.

Please keep us posted. I've been dieting for about 7 weeks and have only lost 6 1/2 lbs. I still have 8 more to go. I'm really tempted to just do this then really work on just keeping it off.

Good luck
  13. SO HAS ANYONE NOTICED ANY RESULTS....IM 5'6 AND WEIGH 150 LBS...eeeep id really like to go down to at least 135...i mean im a size 7 which is average but id like to go back down to a 3/5....sooo this diet sounds tasty and tempting...sooo any results yet??
  14. She is going to start today I think... so she will tell us all in a week?! I had a friend that did this... it is not an awful diet- because there is food intake everyday. Soup is pretty good for you most of the time- and low in calories.
  15. i was just thinking the same thing. one might have to wear a skirt for work so that no one would notice one holding the gas in.