Buying premier didn't keep you from buying less expensive...

I am an equal opportunity bag lover! I started admiring Dooney when I was in high school (graduated in early 90's) but my family was very modest and it was always kind of an unattainable item. I used primarily wallets in college,..never cared about bags until I finally bought myself a Dooney at age 29. Then onto Coach and later LV. Now I am kind of at full circle, totally loving my Dooney florentine Domed buckle satchel. I have owned enough premier designer bags over the past couple of years to learn that high price does not necessarily equal high quality. Frankly, I am a feeling a bit silly for spending $1k+ on a bag.

I have all sorts of bags. Some, I spent a lot of money on, like my Birkin, some which are quite affordable like my George, Gina and Lucy, Catherine Parra or Upla.
Quality and design are essential. As for the brand....I am not loyal to any of them.....

It depends.. Different bags suit different aspects of life and give you happiness in different ways. My favourite bag to date is my old Miu Miu burgundy/gold chain bag with golden studs, it's scratched and looks old but makes me so happy when I wear it. Doesn't stop me from getting a Chanel :love: or a longchamp

I used to be a bit of a snob - and I kind of still am. I have no interest in Coach really whatsoever (though some of the jewellrey interests me, as well as the Willis crossbody) - I feel like with outlets and PCEs the line has become too common and ubiquitous, and I'm just uninterested.

But before, when my collection was limited to four Premier lines, I would never dare or deign to purchase a Contemporary line. Now, my collection is split pretty evenly; all my SLGs are Contemporary but I would like to pick up some LV Damier Azur SLGs. Really, the one thing that keeps me from getting the Willis is the fact that the Chloe Marcie Crossbody isn't outlandishly more expensive; and Chloe's leather IME has been scrumptious. Now, I do find, RM and Balenciaga are my two go-to's when it comes to bags.

I fall into the category of what another poster said above, I am an equal opportunity handbag purchaser. It's the bag, the quality, the shape, the size, the texture, the color, and so on.

I love my Diors and I'm CRAZY about the Bal Town and Bal City I just bought, but I also love my Kate Spades, Brahmins, Brightons, MK's, a few nice Coaches, Cynthia Rowleys, Marc by Marc's, and I'm also absolutely crazy about two bags I ordered from The Frye Company about six weeks ago. Quality is GREAT, and I LOVE the colors.

BRING ON THE BAGS :happydance:

I don't think the price of a bag should matter. We all started off collecting bags because we love them.

I personaly have been collecting bags my entire 19 years of life. My most costly bag was a Fendi Duffle Tote, But I still buy things from smaller department stores if I like them. Just cause' a Birkin has a $20,000 & up price tag doesn't mean id buy one even if I could cause' they are not my taste at all.

I think its fun to own vintage or handmade bags because not everyone has them. I mean walk around a rich part of the big cityand EVERYONE is caring the same bag.

My motto:
"Buy what you love and buy what you can afford!"

Hmm. I've been thinking of how to answer this thread (a good one!)...I LOVE my Coach bags and Coach will forever have my heart, but I have to admit...when I carry one of my Coachies, I miss my Dior bags (only 2). But that makes me feel like a snob and a traitor to a brand that I've admired for YEARS, so then I love my Coachies even more. A vicious cycle! :smile:

Owning and using quality bags l(Hermes, BV) has made me much more critical of the imperfections in less expensive handbags. But I still buy Cole Haans and Kate Spades when I see a design I can't pass up. I am much more selective about what I purchase and buy less handbags in general. Part of this is financially driven to support the expensive handbag habit :graucho:

For me, it's not really about the price as it is about quality. There are some high-price range brands I don't buy because of iffy quality (Balenciaga, Miu Miu).

Generally, it has been my experience though that it's very rare for me to find excellent quality bags for less than $100. I've also found though that after the $500 mark, you're pretty much paying for the brand name.

So many valid points of view. For me, it is all about the earth-shattering love lol! When a bag catches my eye and makes my knees wobble like Johhny Depp was holding it and beckoning me over and gives me sleepless nights thinking about it, that's what matters. I love color and leather, so those two things always seduce me first. I am a stickler for good quality, whatever the brand. Suede makes my heart skip a beat, and hobos sing to me! I have a small range of gorgeous bags and love them all for different reasons and feel lucky to be able to enjoy them. I'm picky about what I buy now as I want to know it will be with me for the right reasons, not just a season. I drool, research, but take my time as I learned the hard way that just cause its on sale, in a magazine, practical, 'close enough', expensive or on a celebs arm doesn't mean that it will work for me or in my life. And most importantly - if I love it in a ridiculously giddy fashion, I will use it, plain and simple. A price tag won't make me use it if I'm not sighing happily when I look at it. There's nothing like the boost a bag you adore gives to your day when you are wearing it, and that's magic in itself :smile:

After buying "higher end" bags for several years, I dont like bags that are made with flimsy or cheap materials. It doesnt matter if the bag is $100 or $500 it needs to be made nicely and the cost right for the brand/materials. In middle school I loved Guess bags, I still see ones that I love the look of in the mall....but for $100/$130 average price tag there is no way im paying for plastic when I could get leather from another brand. I would still buy one if it were priced right at $40 or so.

For me, it's not really about the price as it is about quality. There are some high-price range brands I don't buy because of iffy quality (Balenciaga, Miu Miu).

Generally, it has been my experience though that it's very rare for me to find excellent quality bags for less than $100. I've also found though that after the $500 mark, you're pretty much paying for the brand name.

I agree with this. I feel that over $500 you are really buying the name and what the bag represents than the actual quality of the bag. Just reading in the high end forums is an eye opener. The one time I strayed to a higher priced bag it turned out to be ok but not really worth the price. My favorite bags are in the $200-$400 range.

I'll tell you, I was walking in the mall today and stopped into a couple of dept. stores and the two bags I liked were $1995.00, a Ferragamo Kelly type bag and a Valentino studded bag that was $2500. I completely refused to buy either one. I just can't justify these prices any more.

I've noticed a lot of comments in this forum to the effect of "once I tried X (more expensive designer), I could never go back to Y (less expensive) designer".

I have never felt that way at all.

me either.. if it's a nice looking bag (or sometimes a quirky bag like Lulu Guiness) and I like it and have the extra money for it at the time, I get it.