Tech Bush vetoes stem cell research bill...

caitlin1214 said:
When you compare that to the the fact that he finds no problem sending thousands of soldiers into Iraq to die and he comes from a state the promotes the death penalty . . . . can he TRULY be pro-life?

He did not send our troups TO DIE... It wasn't a one way ticket there.
Please don't think our troops are that stupid!!

Everyone has their own opinions. And this is going to be a touchy debate.

I have to research this more, I too would love to do everything we can to save EVERYONE we can. But from my understanding (and maybe I am wrong) Bush is AGAINST HARVESTING stem cells; creating embryos, using the stem cells and destroying them. I think the touchy part is man making embyos then destroying them.

caitlin1214 said:
What's really weird is that he claims to be 'pro-life,' which means he's against stem cell research and against abortion.

When you compare that to the the fact that he finds no problem sending thousands of soldiers into Iraq to die and he comes from a state the promotes the death penalty . . . . can he TRULY be pro-life?
The whole being pro-life but supporting the death penalty thing really gets to me. No one is "pro-life" if they believe the right to life can be taken away.

I am not surprised Bush vetoed this. I too cannot understand how he can have no problem with sending a human to death row but has a problem with stem cells. Makes no sense to me.

Its not like the embryos were specifically created for stem cell research. What a read was these were left over embryos the would have been discarded. My grandfather who was very dear to me passed away from complications of Parkinsons Disease. It just makes me so mad because scientists could do so much more for these people with stem cell research but our president won't allow it.

MandM said:
Geroge Bush is an idiot (generally) and is demonstrating it particularly well with this veto. It doesn't help anyone, just gives him an in with the religious right.

All those horrible diseases -- now a longer wait for a cure.

I agree with you completely...I was listening to NPR this morning and Sen. Feinstien (Dem, Cali) was speaking and she sounded so angry...but it was like diplomatic anger...I think we are ready for a new president who isn't afraid of change and pushing the limits for a better tomorrow.

I am a vegetarian and do not belive in killing a living creature just to eat it, but these are stem cells...most of which are thrown away, so if those cells can help a person live then WHY would someone want to jeapordize the future of millions of people?!?!?!?

:censor: bush

Wish I could say this was unbelievable, but it would give that dumb:censor: too much credit. After decades, my disabled dad's priority of benefits were eliminated 1.5 months after he first came into office. I won't get started on this or that &$%#ng @$$hole. :death: :feminist: Morals my patootie.

I hate Bush. Seriously, that guy is the poster child for double standards - it's not okay to kill some cells (in my eyes an embrio is two celles merget together with *potential* for life), but it is okay to send thousands of young men and women to war on wrong purposes. I also hate the way he thinks he's so much better with the muslim fanatic terrorists while he is clearly a christian fanatic. I don't mind muslims, I don't mind christians, but I do mind fanatics that try to force their beliefs onto other like the taliban did and like bush is gradually trying to do and which he unfortunately has power to.

alvie223 said:
I may be the only person here who commends BUsh on this.

I don't want to fight but I guess from a religious mindset it's not something for us to tinker with.

I respect your opinion, but I hope you realize what the veto was really about. It was about pandering, not about personal beliefs. That unto itself is an insult to people of faith.

Keep in mind the veto bans the use of federal monies in stem cell research. Those of you who support stem cell research, there are plenty of private research firms you can lend support to who are still working on cures for diseases.

I could be wrong about this but I don't think Bush actually blocked stem cell research, I think instead he is not wanting the government to fund it. Sorry, but there are a lot of of diseases/issues/ problems that need to be researched by I don't necessarily think it's encumbent on the government to provide the funding. Just my humble opinion.

LisaG719 said:
i agree with batgirl
:censor: bush

Shelley said:
I couldn't have said it better:yahoo:

Bush is the worst president this country has ever had, on so many issues. Add stem cell research to the rest of his failures.

Add me to the above.^

Bush failed in every business venture before he ever got to the White House therefore, his continuing failure as President of the United States is not a big surprise to me.

Doesn't President Bush know he CANNOT be re-elected? I don't generally vote ********** but he sure has killed many ********** candidates chances of getting into office. Oh, well, the man is stupid.
Kate