Burberry your opinion

wickedassin said:
Hi IntlSet--

I hope you didn't think I was inferring that you had a fake. I was just commenting on the prevalence of fakes with PVC. It's likely that with Burberry's resurgence they've changed materials to be more competitive.

No, sorry! Upon re-reading my post it sounded more defensive than I meant for it! Just trying to be emphatic, that's all. No worries, wickedassin :love:

Well, I definitely did *not* have a fake and I assure you that the handles were *not* leather.

I suppose Burberry must have changed materials sometime in the past 4 years.

From Neiman Marcus:
A go-anywhere tote in classic Burberry check.

• Novacheck-print PVC.
• Black top handles.

It doesn't specify leather or non-leather, but my whole tote was PVC!

However, I'm glad they're using leather now. Enjoy your tote bag!!!
Nova CHECK BOWLING BAG

$595.00
This is what I just spent on a bag and i returned it because of the pvc. It's crazy for me to spend that Kind of money and not get all leather. I called the sales person and I asked her what PVC is? She said PLASTIC. After that she read this to me right from the web page. Coated canvas bowling bag in the Nova Check pattern with patent leather trim and patent leather piping on the seams. Two rolled, patent leather handles with chunky, dark nickel attachments and a self fabric base. A top zip closure with a chunky, patent leather zip pull.
Leather and PVC
6 ¾" x 10 ¾" x 6"
Interior zip pocket and two patch pockets
Central compartment divides the bag in two
Dark nickel finish hardware
Twill lining
Made in Italy
I said to her so PVC is plastic? She said oh no it's a coating over leather? Not plastic bu tshe said the first time it was plastic.
I looked this up
This is what Leather piping is,A classic item that is always in demand and with proper care, will last for years to come. The use of leather pipings gives the required flexibility, durability, comfort, beauty and longevity to the product. A narrow tube of leather, these are used for trimming seams and edges, as of slipcovers. Leather pipings are highly used in the production of fashion accessories, for ladies as well as men and also in the field of ready-made clothing. Grains, pores and scars as well as variations in color and thickness of leather characterize this genuine product. Designed in beautifully crafted leather, these sophisticated, classy and elegant pipings are also used along the edge of handbags and purse. The possible choices of pipings and colors are too extensive and fulfills the rising demand of clothing and fashion industry.

Polyvinyl chloride, (IUPAC Polychloroethene) commonly abbreviated PVC, is a widely-used plastic. In terms of revenue generated, it is one of the most valuable products of the chemical industry. Globally, over 50% of PVC manufactured is used in construction

I agree with you they are not leather handles. Thats why I was looking on the web yesterday. I was trying to find out what the bag was made of. Before I returned it. Came across this web and the ones above. I have Three LV and the bag is canvas but the handles are leather over time they change from light to a nice rich dark color. Fake lv the handles don't change color.

Last edited:
Well, I definitely did *not* have a fake and I assure you that the handles were *not* leather.

I suppose Burberry must have changed materials sometime in the past 4 years.

From Neiman Marcus:
A go-anywhere tote in classic Burberry check.

• Novacheck-print PVC.
• Black top handles.

It doesn't specify leather or non-leather, but my whole tote was PVC!

However, I'm glad they're using leather now. Enjoy your tote bag!!!

I agree with you. I bought my nova check tote from the Burberry boutique in Chicago, and the handles don't really feel like leather... With that said, I don't take my tote out in the rain, because it gets stains from my jeans and jacket (even the care card said that dark clothing will stain the bag). I only had it since August of last year, and there's a huge stain on the bottom and the center of my tote :sad: I tried baby wipes (the SA said that it will take care of stains), but the stain is still there (it even got darker). I don't know what to do with it anymore, so I usually just hide that side when I use the bag...

I love Burberry. Sometimes the handles do not feel like leather, but to my understanding they are coated leather in some cases. Other cases I have obvious feeling leather on the trim. All of my Burberry bags are less than 1 yr old. You def. can take them out in the rain. You do have to be careful of color transfer TO them but not FROM them in my experience.

I bought a Chester bag in the Haymarket plaid because I love the Speedy style, and it has held up well for me. The handles are definitely leather as is the piping and the zipper pulls, and the hardware is brass.

I've definitely been impressed with the quality, and I also own a wristlet and the Frida cosmetic case. I will say though that all my pieces are the Haymarket plaid, and that the SA who sold them to me did not have nice things to say about the Nova check pieces, claiming that they did not hold up as well (were returned more often) and some of the bags were not as timeless (like the Nova Heart bags)