Burberry "Made in China"...

My SA said that Burberry is now producing all the Prorsum handbags in Italy. They have a factory there (that is used by other luxury leather handbag brands also!). So at least the Prorsum line is made in Italy.
this statement above is
not true...

A lot of Burberry bags are Made in Italy still. However, more and more and being made in China now. I think back in September of 2006, they closed down the Treorchy factory in Wales and that's when there were many jobs that were diverted to both Hong Kong and China.

So there are some bags that are "Made in China" that are still authentic. I also own a few Burberry Blue Label things -- a spinoff line for the "younger"/"newer" age of people (exclusively in Asia) and those things are made in Italy.

The bags I have currently from Burberry (London) are made in Italy. However, my friend recently bought one from the Burberry website. I think she bought a small nova check bag and those are no long made in Italy -- they are now made in China. Hence, why the website says that they're "imported".

Honestly, commercializing it such that it's made in China now totally defeats the purpose. Burberry is supposed to be a high quality, high calibre brand and they should have really carried on that tradition. It saddens me that they too have suckered into the whole "made in China" spiel.

Because workers in China are much cheaper, they get only a couple of cents per working hour. Fishermen also catch shrimp int the North Sea and then carry it on trucks down to North Africa where workers remove the "shell" (?) I don't recall the right word and then the shrimps are ferried home again where they are sold... it's a mad, mad world...
Regina :shrugs:

The matter is entirely different- shrimp doesn't read "shelled in Algeria" or wherever and the majority of customers don't care, whereas a lot of the people buying luxury bags do care. It wouldn't make any sense for Burberry to spend all that money on Italian craftsmanship for the majority of the bag only to have it shipped to China merely to attach the hardware and then have the label read "Made in China". Assuming Burberry was making the bags in Italy, it would be more cost-effective and better for their image to ship the hardware from China and and attach it in Italy than the other way around. Whatever salespeople say, the only logical reson the bags would say "Made in China" would if the bags were, in fact, entirely assembled there.

My burberry tote reads "made in italy" on the back of the tag and I have to admit, I prefer it that way. *WE* can help change manufacturing trends but NOT purchasing made in china stuff. I prefer the quality from the italian manufacturers. Just IMHO.

Oh, and I agree with ValleyO... companies are business savvy, and they KNOW that consumers in Europe and in America (the only places that I know for sure), have a DEFINITE preference for luxury goods made in Italy, USA, France, etc. There's no way that they would send it to china for the "last part" and have the bag read "made in china"... you can't get the same $$$ in the retail market for Made in China stuff.

ALSO, I'd like to know for sure if any gucci is made in china... i haven't heard that anywhere else and I'd like to know more. I HOPE (fingers crossed) that it's not true!

Oh, and I agree with ValleyO... companies are business savvy, and they KNOW that consumers in Europe and in America (the only places that I know for sure), have a DEFINITE preference for luxury goods made in Italy, USA, France, etc. There's no way that they would send it to china for the "last part" and have the bag read "made in china"... you can't get the same $$$ in the retail market for Made in China stuff.

ALSO, I'd like to know for sure if any gucci is made in china... i haven't heard that anywhere else and I'd like to know more. I HOPE (fingers crossed) that it's not true!

Well - I have two "Made in China" bags by Burberry... and I don't mind as long as the quality is the same. "A rose, by any other name..."
Regina ;)

it's just not really fair...we pay for the brand, the legacy...and burberry has a legacy...and now...they're paying less money to make the bag, yet the price still isn't going down

Totally agree! I love Burberry, but when these things happens, it makes you think twice about paying so much for an "okay" quality bag. You may as well pay a little more for Gucci or Louis Vuitton! :sad:

I don't think quality is an issue just because it's made in China. It's been improving for a while now. I do find it bothersome that China has some pretty bad human rights/labor laws.

There are other high end designers besides Burberry like Prada, Fendi where they are having their things made mostly in China and then shipped back to Italy (or wherever else that sounds better than China) for the last part of putting the purse together so that it can have the preferred Made in Italy label.

It gives buyers the impression that it's quality Italian work when really they only have to stick the label on it at the end to fool buyers into thinking they're buying a more quality product than one made in China.

I'll try and find the articles where I read this to post.

I really have no problem at all if things are made in China. As long as the quality is good and it is with Burberry. It just all depends on the standard a company has. I think it is ridiculous to assume that chinese people can't deliver the same quality. It's all about the quality control anyway...
The thing that does annoy me is the decreasing customerservice we get for our high quality and expensive items. If you haven't gotten something in their boutique but somewhere else you just don't get the same service. They don't seem to stand behind their products, but how much money they made in a sale and the service they are willing to return for that money...
(I'm talking about all high end stuff, not just Burberry!)

...The thing that does annoy me is the decreasing customerservice we get for our high quality and expensive items. If you haven't gotten something in their boutique but somewhere else you just don't get the same service. They don't seem to stand behind their products, but how much money they made in a sale and the service they are willing to return for that money...
(I'm talking about all high end stuff, not just Burberry!)

I agree; my impression is that once they have sold you the bag and got your money you're just not important to them anymore...
Regina
:tdown:

My SA said that Burberry is now producing all the Prorsum handbags in Italy. They have a factory there (that is used by other luxury leather handbag brands also!). So at least the Prorsum line is made in Italy.

inch 37: this statement above is
not true...[/quote]

Excuse me Inch 37 but why do you say such a thing is "not true" and don't even bother to correct it? Please let me know if you know better than my SA.

I bought a Burberry key chain w/ the knight on it from their website & when it arrived it was so cheap looking. The metal plate with knight was crooked & it came with a sticker said "made in china". It's funny how the metal key chain does not have any marking where it's from.