Britons held in kidney scandal

1. This is disgraceful, the lows that people will go to to get what they want.....these selfish people ruin other innocent lives for personal gain.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23142685-12377,00.html

By staff writers | February 01, 2008

TWO Britons accused of travelling to India to buy kidneys stolen in an organ transplant racket have been arrested.

Police who raided a private hospital an upmarket suburb of Delhi last week said they found that poor labourers had had their kidneys removed, sometimes against their will.

The organs were then sold to clients from around the world, the Guardian online reported today.

The ring is believed to have sold more than 500 kidneys in the past nine years.

Doctors allegedly running the illegal operation charged 1.5 million rupees ($41,608) for a kidney transplant while the donor was paid about 40,000 rupees.

The case has shocked India, which banned the sale of kidneys for commercial gain in 1994.

The police seized computers in the raid on the hospital and were decoding email accounts, the Guardian said.

Five labourers, three of whom had lost kidneys, were also rescued.

A number of foreigners who were apparently awaiting transplants were questioned.

Police told the Guardian that "two British people have not been let out of the country" as part of their investigation".

We are holding their passports. They are helping with our investigation... (There) are allegations that they are part (of the buying ring)," said Rakesh Arya, deputy commissioner of Gurgaon police.

"We are cross checking certain things. They have been apprehended but not yet charged."

The alleged masterminds of the illegal trade are two Indian brothers, neither of whom have any medical training but who apparently supervised surgery, police say.

One of the brothers had been arrested in Mumbai but the alleged kingpin, Amit Kumar, was believed to be on the run in Canada.

Television news said a nurse, a foreign national called Linda, had confessed to police.
    The investigation has spread to seven Indian states, with doctors accused of operating across northern Indian.

India's top investigating agency is leading a probe into the scandal while Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss said he would make the organ trade legislation more stringent.

2. Absolutely disgusting, some people will do anything for money. Those poor people.

3. How disgusting, I hope they get what they deserve for this!

4. People are disgusting sometimes. I cannot believe the lengths some people will go to in order to make a buck. Sad.

5. This reminds me of a Nip/Tuck storyline.. anyways, it's kind of disheartening to think that the rich can buy even the organs out of someone else.

6. Maybe . . . MAYBE I can understand if those people worked something out with the donors, but to take kidneys against someone's will is disgusting.