Breastfeeding Weight Loss

1. I was told by a dietician that weight loss from breastfeeding is really minimal, approximately 2kg over the course of a whole breastfeeding year, if your diet and activities level stays the same.

I wonder if that is true according to your experience? Any breastfeeding moms who felt this way?
  2. here's my experience:
    W/ my DD I gained 25 lbs, I nursed her and lost all of it within 6 weeks.
    W/ my twins, I gained 29 lbs, I nursed in the hospital for 4 days and lost all but 5 lbs. Continued nursing at home and lost the remaining 5 plus about 6 more :biggrin:
    On average, nursing helps you lose your weight MUCH quicker than not nursing, for some people they hold onto about the last 5 lbs as the body really needs fat to produce milk.
  3. I only have one child, I gained 40 lbs during pregnancy. My original weight was 105 lbs. I lost 22 lbs in the first 2 weeks after giving birth, then lost a bit more in the following months. I've been breastfeeding for over a year and I can't seem to get back to my original weight even though I work out 3-4 times per week and eat healthy, but I'm pretty close, only about 7 lbs to go. What swanky said above makes sense, I think your body clings to the last 5 lbs in order to make milk.
  4. I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks. now trying to lose the remaining 30 pounds that I have been meaning to get to since I was 21 years old.
  5. with first dd, put on 10 kilos, breastfed for 18mths, lost a total of 25kilos. she sucked the life outta me!
    second dd, put on 5 kilos, breastfed for 12mths, lost about 10kilos in total, and now i'm trying to get back to weight i was when i was 21!. eons ago!! boohoo
  6. I went back to my pre-pregnancy size in about a week after giving birth. Now, nearly 6 months later, I'm down another 11 pounds. I'm hoping this trend continues :tup:
  7. Agree with Swanky...I still had extra 2kg when I was still breastfeeding my son (until he's about 10-11 months). But now (recently!), I already have my original weight back, so I can wear my fave jeans again :p...Thank God!
  8. I think that this is absolutely true! No matter what I have or haven't done to lose all these last 5-7 pounds there are not going anywhere. Some women lose it all and them some but I am not one of those lucky ones.
  9. I gained 60 lbs when I was pregnant, and after about 6 months of breastfeeding most of that weight was gone. At the end of the first year which I breastfed exclusively for, I had lost it all. I ate like a horse for that whole time too, tons of ice cream, chicken, and steak especially (of course I balanced that with veggies and fruit lol, those were just my cravings). I was always hungry because my body was needing so many calories to produce milk.
  10. ^^ I know! I seem to constantly want meat, fish, and dairy products!
  11. I gained over 40 pounds with dd. I lost 20 within the first month. I currently have about 15 pesky pounds left to lose. I'm still in maternity clothes. :cursing:

I will be so much happier when I lose that last 15 and can start wearing my normal clothes again.
  12. hmm.. i am a dietitian too and i have never heard the kinda of estimation of 2 kg per year. :confused1:

breastfeeding burns about 500kcal per day and depending on how you eat, you can lose up to 1 lb per week. 3500kcal equals to 1 lb of weight loss. let's say your body requires 1500kcal (everyone is different) and you eat 1500kcal and breastfeed, over the course of a week you will lose 1 lb. this is all science based :smile:
  13. i lost alot of weight while breastfeeding.

when i was pregnant, i gained 19 pounds and lost about 37 pounds (within 6 months), i know it sounded crazy, i was amazed with myself.

my weight loss was due to breastfeeding and post partrum depression, i somehow lost appetite, i had to force myself to eat, i ate normally but small portion and my milk production was abundance.

since i stopped breastfeeding, i gain about 6 pounds and my depression is cured!
  14. ok, you are all making me jealous!! 18 months of brestfeeding, weight watchers, body pumping (for the last 4) and ab blasting and this ring of mush around my tummy won't move!!:heart::smile:

juicy, sorry about the ppd--so glad you are feeling better
  15. I'd say it's all different. With my previous child I couldn't shake the last 5 pounds. With this one, I hadn't realized it but I lost all the weight plus an additional 5-10lbs. Strange considering I eat an additional late night snack almost every night. My jeans now literally fall off so I've been using leggings until I figure out where my weight stays at.