breastfeeding and alcohol

1. what is the outcome if you drink alcohol and breastfeed??
  2. What do you mean by outcome?
  3. As far as I know, alcohol will pass into the breastmilk.
  4. you "pump and dump":yes::biggrin:
    If you go out and have a few drinks, come home and pump, and dump it.
    It absolutely passes through breastmilk.
  5. ^^^:roflmfao: pump and dump! Hilarious! So that milk is just useless after the drinks then I'm assuming.
  6. yeah, pretty much:yes:
  7. They actually sell little test strips to see if you have alcohol in your breast milk. :wtf: I was a little shocked.
  8. I did the pump and dump methond whenever I had a drink or two while breastfeeding.
  9. how many times or hours should i breastfeed after the pump and dump method???

10. When I was breastfeeding, I was told anything over two drinks...wait two hours after the last drink...pump, dump...and then continue the next regular feeding. I practiced this method with my kids...and never had any problems!
  11. That's a great idea! I thought you had to totally abstain while nursing, this is nice to know, thanks!
  12. In the first article, however, they say to "pump and dump" was worthless, which totally shocked me b/c that is what ALL my girlfriends do.... :wtf:

This is what they say:
    One drink is considered 4 ounces of wine, one beer, or one mixed drink. Alcohol isn't stored in breast milk, so "pumping and dumping" (using a breast pump to empty your breasts and then throwing out the collected milk) serves no purpose.
  13. ^I don't believe that personally. . . .
    everthing else is excreted, meds and such. . . alcohol is too.

Oh well, better SAFE than sorry! :biggrin: