Breast feeding or Bottle feeding?

1. As you may all know, I'm pregnant with my first child, and I'm just wondering what tpf moms or moms-to-be have done with their newborns in terms of feeding.

My co-worker who is also pregnant is dead set on bottle feeding. The majority of women in my family has bottle fed their babies too. I do see advantages/disadvantages for each, so it's still up in the air.

Please share your experience/preference, because I have no idea what I'm going to do.. and time is ticking!

Tips and advice are greatly appreciated too! :biggrin:

Thanks in advanced! :nuts:

2. I think if you can breast feed, do it as long as you can. If you can't there is always the bottle. It's good bonding time with you and your baby.

3. Breastfeeding all the way :tup:, at least for 6 months at the very least. I did it for 9 months but had built up enough reserve to last for a year.

4. I've breastfed for a long time. It's done because of culture - in most developing countries women do breastfeed as they have done for the past few hundred years. Also as there was a prevalence of water-born disease such as typhoid and cholera breastfeeding was considered a way of avoiding exposure of young children to such disease.

I breastfed exclusively for 4 months, no solid food, not even water. After that he had solid foods, formula (rarely) in addition to breast milk. I loved that time to bond with him and putting him to sleep was a piece of cake.

5. Breast is best.

That said, every Mom has to do what's right for her baby and HER.
    I was a breastfeeder and wholeheartedly recommend it. It is the PERFECT food for baby.
    But I've had friends' that were getting depressed because they weren't enjoying and it wasn't coming natural to them and the baby and they were really beating themselves over it.
    One friend, she knew I was pro-breast and was afraid to admit it to me that they were struggling. . .
    I told her that the mother's mental health is paramount, babies are healthy on formula just like babies are healthy on breastmilk. But ALL babies can sense the stress of their mother and she just need to take care of herself first, or she wouldn't be able to take care of the baby.

My advice is to just try it. It IS best for the baby and has a wealth of health benefits for Mom as well like lessens the likelyhood of some cancers and the obvious perk of helping move the baby weight off quicker :biggrin:
    Also, it's always free and the perfect temperature! No buying expensive formula or getting up to heat a bottle in the middle of the night! :biggrin:

want to add, you don't have to breastfeed exclusively, I supplemented often w/ formula. I HATED to pump, so I let Dad or grandparents feed a formula bottle sometimes.

6. I've breastfed my son for the past 13 and 1/2 months. I tried weaning him at 1 year but he got a stomach flu and couldn't eat anything, only wanted to nurse. Now we're trying again and down to 2 nursing sessions per day. He's also been eating regular food since he was 8 months old. Anyway.......nursing him has been wonderful. It's hard work especially if you go back to work (which I did, part time when he was 6 months) since then you have to pump, but I've loved every minute of it. It has been a really rewarding experience and I love that sense of closeness with him.

If you are physically able to breastfeed, I think it's great. If you decide to go that route, when you have your baby talk to the lactation consultant (s) at the hospital to get advice and support from them, they are a terrific resource.

7. ^aww! He's beautiful!

8. Thanks, he's my sweetie!

9. i was breastfed as a baby and consider myself smart, have gotten sick twice in my life and am not allergic to anything so with that being said, i was in the army when i was pregnant and still decided to breastfeed, i pumped and almost weaned him when he turned one but was rather attached. he nurses maybe twice a day. i think that the weaning is the hardest part for me because of the bonding but in regards to him and his health, i think it is best. most people would not agree to BF this long but it definitely helped me with PPD. wierd i know

10. I tried breastfeeding, but my baby was not learning how to suck and I tried for a week. I was always up trying and I was getting way too tired so I switched to the bottle. I was bottlefed as a baby and I do not have allergies and I rarely get sick. Getting bottlefed is not as bad as even makes it out to be. My whole family was bottlefed for various reasons and they are pretty healthy.

11. I breast fed my daughter until she was 11 months while supplmenting with formula and milk I pumped. I would've probably breast fed longer but I found out that I was pregnant and it was best for my body to stop breast feeding.

Bottle was important because I went back to work when my daughter was 4 1/2 months. It was hard to get her on the bottle after being exclusive to the breast for 4 1/2 months. It was also a necessity for times when I had to leave her at home with my husband or parents.

If you're going to supplement invest in a good pump. I used a Medela pump and tried to pump at least twice a day while at work. Very important to pump while you're away from your child to keep your milk production up.

Best of luck!!!

12. I BF exclusively for 6 weeks but then went back to work. Son did not get any bottle until 3 days before I went back to work and I sat in my bathtub and bawled for half an hour. Thank God my Mom was there for that one!

I continued to BF until Son was 7 1/2 months...he weened himself off. I had no problem with my milk supply...it dwindled off as he did.

It is very rewarding. I just encourage that you pump like crazy in the beginning. You will have SO much milk so pump as much as you can, and, let DH bottle feed with your milk that you pump...it will be SO much easier for all of you!

PM if you need anything! Good luck!!!

13. Great, great advice.. definitely the rewards of breast feeding makes me want to give it a try! :yes:

14. I wish I had breastfed.

15. I missed it so much everytime it was over/I weaned.
    It's a pretty amazing experience that's impossible to describe in words.
    There's something VERY primal and satisfying knowing your body is nourishing your childs'.