Breast Cancer

1. Just felt like I had to write this down as feeling very scared at the moment.

Its been a really awful year. Earlier this year was invloved in a head on car collision, was driving home down a country lane after taking my dog for a walk when a young driver took the bend ahead of me to fast lost control and plough into me. I woke up in the car in the side ditch my dog was thrown to the front of the car but luckly the air bags saved him. I had a brand new car written off, plus broken ribs, collar bone. The doctors thought their was other injuries and wanted me to have a bone scan but I did not want this (will not go into reasons). I was lucky to come out of it alive.

Then last week had to go for a mammogram, never had one before but had to go as my mother recently died of Breast Cancer and my grandmother had it to. Got a letter today from them they need to recall me for more tests so have to go Monday. They must have found something and I cannot tell you how scared I feel. I am just hoping its an injury from the car accident showing as a shadow or something. I can feel no lumps or had anything wrong.

Has anyone been through this? Sorry this is a bit long tried to keep it as short as poss.
  2. Im sorry you have been through so much. Try not to worry although I know its very difficult. If your mamogram has found something it sounds as if it would be in very early stages and that is very good.
    A very close friend of mine chose to ingonre a lump in her breast and 8 months later she was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer (very bad) the lump was the size of her fist.
    Needless to say, it has been a year and a half and through medical technology and wonderful docters she is cancer free! So just hang in there and I know you will be just fine! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.
  3. Thanks Ranskimmie, just scared, when you have seen our mother die of it its not nice. I am just hoping and praying its nothing but with my family history its not looking good
  4. They saw something on mine a few years back. Took 6 weeks to get another appt. I didn't see the rx the dr sent the place until i got there - made me more nervous as it sated ultrasound, etc as needed.

Turned out it was just a bad film the first time. Spot wan't on the second set.
  5. Of course you're scared--I would be, too. It may be nothing, but if there is something, early detection improves the odds tremendously. I get a yearly mammogram and thankfully nothing has ever turned up. My mother had breast cancer, and lived 22 more years! She was an inspiration to me. She had a great oncologist, did all the follow-ups, didn't dwell on it after her surgery, and it wasn't who she was--it was just something she had; if that makes sense.

This is such a supportive group--keep us updated; I'm praying for you to receive good news.:heart: and (((hugs)))
  6. So sorry to hear this *hugs*
    wishing you the best of luck. you're in our prayers :heart:
  7. Try and hang in there...we're all thinking of you.
  8. Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I know thousands of women every day have to come to terms with this but for some reason I am having a very hard time getting my mind around it. I read ranskimmie blog about her illness, which was just awful, and she said its the waiting. Have to say that is whats killing me have another 2 days before the tests then depending on what tests they do it could be another 2 weeks. Still trying to keep on a positive note and still looking for handbags.LOL:yes:
  9. They found something on my mammo a couple years ago and I was petrified. It turned out to be a benign cyst about the size of a peanut M&M but every year I go for a mammo and sonogram I'm a little nervous. Pls try to stay calm b/c it may be nothing at all. Also since it is your first one they have no baseline to compare what is normal for your breasts...Stay strong and keep all your appointments. I'm sending you all good thoughts!
  10. Thats good to know Shushopn, I am hoping and praying they are seeing something the occured during the car accident and its not any thing big.
  11. Saich2 - so many times it is nothing. With your family history it is really important to be vigilant about your check-ups, though. One of my best friends is a doctor who actually had breast cancer and she swears that a mammo is not enough. A sonogram is what actually caught her cancer early. She said if they had just gone by the mammo they wouldn't have caught it until a later stage. She is totally fine by the way and has been for 4 years. It probably would be a good idea to ask for one, if they don't suggest it. Keep me posted and feel free to PM me if you need to chat.
  12. Saich2, sending positive thoughts your way. Hope it's nothing serious. It's natural for you to be scared, who wouldn't be?

I agree with shushopn - it's advisable to have a sonogram as well.
  13. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Have to say this weekend has been the longest of my life. Their are 4 tests they can do tomorrow, another Mammogram, Ultrasound, Fine Needle Aspiration and a Core Biopsy. I gather they do the first two then talk to you then if need be do one of the other ones.
  14. Hi Saich - My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please don't worry too much. It could be a dozen different things. Whatever happens, don't make yourself crazy by reading everything on the internet!

My Grandmother and my aunt both had breast cancer. They are also both cured. One piece of advice my Grandma gave me while she was going through her chemo has really stuck with me. She said that you have to think positive at all times. Mind over matter is quite real and powerful. If you tell yourself that you will be okay, than most likely you will! She used to visualize her white blood cells attacking her cancer cells. She was told that she had 6 months to a year to live. That was 19 years ago.

So, relax, and focus on other things tomorrow. You're going to be just fine! Feel free to email me if you ever want to chat.
  15. Aww. I will be praying for you. My OB/GYN has said that breast and pancreatic cancer are genetic so I know you must be so nervous. Please let us know how everything turns out!

Also, if you don't mind me asking how old are you?