Brazilian Hair Straightening?

eeeh this formeldahyde thing sounds creepy. What does that ingredient do exactly? and what if you get it done without it? I'm terrified of chemicals, and the fact that they say it stays in your hair and releases fumes? no thanks. :/

Brazilian Hair Straigtening is dangerous and can cause long term side effects due to the exposure to formaldehyde. Aside from that, my hairdresser stopped doing it in February and said that it was going to b banned soon and didn't want to face any liability.

I wouldn't get it done because of that especially since I plan to get pregnant in the next few years and who knows what are the long-term effects.

1) Some people are naturally highly sensitive to formaldehyde. It stays in the immune system and causes sensitivity.
2) Runny nose, sore throat, headache, itching, and irritated eyes can occur with low levels of exposure.
3) It is also a known carcinogen, and smokers in particular are at a greater risk for cancers of the airways, including nasal passages when they are exposed to formaldehyde.

Just found this info about Brazilian hair straightening online:

“Formaldehyde can cause eye and respiratory tract irritation, and in rat model studies has been found to be tumor inducing in large doses,” says Oscar Vazquez, M.D. of NYU. After the treatment was widely touted (including a hot-new-thing piece in the Times), the October Allure reported that salon samples tested “contained at least ten times more formaldehyde” than an industry medical panel considered safe.

Source:
http://www.crazyrenee.com/auntiereneesblog/?cat=19

That's enough to scare me off!