Boycott Prada

1. Hello Ladies (and a few guys),

This is my first posting, and I apologize for its negativity in advance. I enjoy this forum so much and I am impressed with everyone's sense of humor, curioisty, candor, and compassion. Plus, we all love bags! So, I've decided to become an active member of the community!

Here goes....

I hate Prada and I will never shop there again. :mad: Prada lovers, consider yourselves warned.

I used to love Prada and I was a regular customer. I purchased for myself, I purchased for others and I regularly received Prada items as gifts.

Recently, a friend bought a $695 pair of Prada shoes for me in the wrong size. This generous gift was a get-well gift because I was having some serious health problems. My friend knew the shoes would likely not fit, so he spoke to the saleswoman and was reassured that I could return the shoes for an exchange.

My ill health prevented me from returning the shoes until after 14 days had passed. I went into the flagship store in NYC and I spoke to the original saleswoman about exchanging the shoes and she would not let me exchange them even though I had the original receipt, box, bag, etc.

These shoes had never even been removed from the box; the tissue and the stickers on the tissue were still intact! All I wanted was an exchange for the shoes (or any shoes) in my size. I explained that my friend had already spoken to her about this when he purchased them. I offered to exchange them and use the credit toward a larger purchase. I began very politely and I tried to be reasonable with them. I explained that I was a good customer (on their mailing list) and that I only wanted an accomodation so that I could use the gift. I explained that there was no way that Prada would lose money by accepting the return. It was useless. They refused to honor the exchange because more than 14 days had passed.

I then spoke to the floor manager. She said there was nothing she could do. I then spoke to the store manager. She said there was nothing she could do. Everyone was unhelpful and unreasonable. I explained that part of couture and luxury shopping is trusting that you will get superior customer service and that we were getting taken advantage of by a policy that served no real purpose.

Finally, I began to lose my composure and my ill health and frustration got the best of me. I raised my voice very loudly and repeated everything one more time, for everyone shopping in the store to hear.

Me: YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT YOU WON'T HONOR AN EXCHANGE ON THESE SHOES THAT HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TAKEN OUT OF THE BOX MERELY BECAUSE MORE THAN 14 DAYS HAVE PASSED?

Prada: Yes

Me: YOU WON'T EVEN EXCHANGE THEM FOR THE SAME SHOES IN ANOTHER SIZE?

Prada: There's nothing we can do.

Me: YES, THERE IS. YOU COULD EXCHANGE THEM FOR THE SAME SHOES, OR ANY SHOES, IN THIS SIZE. OR YOU COULD ACCEPT THE EXCHANCE AND LET ME APPLY THE PURCHASE PRICE TO A MORE EXPENSIVE ITEM. I AM NOT ASKING FOR A REFUND. I AM A VERY GOOD CUSTOMER.

Me: YES THERE IS. THIS IS UNBELEIVABLE. YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THIS IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU OFFER? IN EXCHANGE FOR YEARS OF REGULAR SHOPPING AT THIS VERY STORE YOU ARE GOING TO REFUSE TO EXCHANGE AN ITEM, WITH A RECEIPT, NEVER OPENED, IN THE BOX, AND STICK ME WITH AN UTTERLY UNUSABLE ITEM IN THE WRONG SIZE WHEN YOU COULD JUST WALK TO THE BACK AND SWITCH IT FOR ONE SIZE LARGER?

Prada: We can't do that. More than 14 days have passed. It's our policy.

Me: DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BUSINESS? THIS IS FIFTH AVENUE IN NYC. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY OTHER STORES YOU ARE COMPETING WITH FOR MY BUSINESS, THE BUSINESS OF MY FRIEND, AND THE BUSINESS OF LUXURY ITEM PURCAHSERS?

Me: YOU HAVE JUST LOST A VERY GOOD CUSTOMER. I WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN AND I WILL TELL EVERY SINGLE PRADA SHOPPER I KNOW TO BOYCOTT YOUR COMPANY UNTIL YOU STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS AND OFFER SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Then I huffed out, got around the corner, and began to cry in front of a hot dog vendor. :cry:

I write this to get it off my chest, to warn you all, and (hopefully) to encourage you to stop shopping at a store that rips off loyal customers.

2. Wow, I can see how you must be frustrated... Have you tried another Prada store?

3. OMG! I am a major Prada shopper too...Which store were you in..I know an SA really well at one store..maybe she could help?

4. i hate customer service reps like that, mostly because i work in retail and everyone that works in retail or ever has knows full well that the return policies are guidelines, not laws. we make exceptions all the time, so long as there is just cause. we exchanged a dishwasher that was 6 months old and had no problems at all with it (and had been regularly used) because the lady that bought it didn't like it, and she was a good customer. in my opinion, you were more than reasonable because you were asking for an exchange instead of a return, the salesperson knew the circumstances and that you would probably be exchanging, plus you were willing to buy something more expensive and pay the difference. to me, a response of 'there's nothing we can do' is simply unacceptable.

5. Wow ladies, that was quick. :biggrin:

I did try another store (Soho) but realized when I got there that it had burned down and then I tried the store on Madison (but it was closed). Finally, it was all causing me too much grief so
    I turned it into a good thing and my sister got an Extra Special surprise gift from me in the mail. She was thrilled.

I was just so angry because the whole situation was absurd and my friend just wasted all that money to cheer me up for nothing.

Thanks for listening.

6. That was sweet of you to give it to your sister. I would be very upset too. I understand the policy but I would've accomodated the customer under those circumstances.

7. The store in SoHo is open again. I just walked by there for lunch. Pretty twirling skirts in the window.

I can't believe they wouldn't exchange them.

8. Omg.:rant: :rant:

9. What you need to do is send Oprah an email and tell her about this and suggest she do a story on high-end stores that treat customers like crap. She had her problem with Hermes and now Prada, I bet there are many more like that. If they are not there to serve the paying customer, then what the hell are they there for????

10. Tanyadh, I have not yet been able to visit a Prada store (I am just discovering my love for high fashion), but I can see how the whole mess frustrated you. I am writing to compliment you on taking an ubber-frustrating situation and turning into a wonderful end. Giving the shoes your sister is an amazing gesture. I love to hear about people that are so kind in spirit!! Great things will come your way!!

11. Wow, what a b***** that SA was! Good for you for standing up for yourself.

12. :shocked: I boycotted Prada when they started selling jackets and coats made of Otter. A husband of a friend actually bought one and has not worn it since I called him the Rotter in the Otter :biggrin: . But I genuinely have not bought a single thing from them since. I know I probably have some double standards, as I DO wear leather shoes and own leather bags, and have owned a leather jacket in the past, but this practice of Otter, Hamster, etc etc is just unethical to me.

13. I really like that idea... :noworry: High end stores need to wake up and see that they need us more, that we can always go to another designers... they only have one small pool of customers (us):flowers:

14. I feel for you you tanyadh! That was a bit inconsiderate of the people at Prada. It was so easy for them to exchange it. I hate high-end stores with bad customer service.

15. I'm so sorry about what happened to you. They are incredibly unreasonable given the new condition of the shoes and your loyal patronage. Absolutely ridiculous!