Bottega Cabat vs. Hermes Bag?

1. Hi ladies, I need help!

I tried on the BV Cabat bag for the first time in Hawaii and LOVED it:

But it is around 3000-5000 depending on size. I really like the softness it is slouchy and has an open top.

HOWEVER I am also saving up for another Birkin in the well as maybe a Lindy. If I got the Cabat bag I'd have to give it up. What do you ladies think of the bag? Should I go for it or just wait for another Hermes bag?? Thanks :heart:
  2. Kat, I love that BV, too! I was pretty tempted the last time I went to the BV store in SF. But... do you think it would make your heart flutter? :heart:
  3. The bottega veneta cabas is a great great bag, and I had to face the same dilemma a few years ago, hermes won and here are the main reasons.
    Craftmanship:BV cabas is handwoven:love: but seams are machine made:yucky: , whereas H bags are hand stitched. I think that for that price BV could give us handstitches as well.

Leather: I personally looove BV leathers, but that said H leathers are superior:drool: for what's regarding quality selection etc. So BV is just the second whereas H never looses the first prize.

Ageing:We all know H bags age exceptionally well, and I can't say the same thing about BV bags that tend to show wear much more:sad: . This probably happens because their very soft woven skins have raw edges, and I have seen some of these bags belonging to some friends showing some darkening within months (just like lambskin for H, but H doesn't use raw edged lambskin for bags, only small accessories).
    For this reason if you opt for BV I would advice very dark colors
    In my mind if I spend that amount of money on a bag, I want it to last.

Refusbishing:H does it, I am not sure BV does it, but I believe they don't :wtf: since I've had some stains on some woven leather boots and when I asked for some help they said they provide no service of that kind.
    So once again if I spend that much I like the idea Iìll have some service:push: . Some H bags in some leathers can be refurbished to almost new, and I like that. I want to buy something special.

Style: I like better H birkin and kelly:wlae: even if I think BVcabas is great.
    Cabas pros are you can wear it on your shoulders and it's lightweight. But it doesn't close, and this can be an issue sometimes.
    H bags are heavier, generally meant to be carried with your hands or on the crock of your arm, but they close and we are all sure their style is a neverending classic.

This is what I think, but that's just me, and all in all I am maybe just not rich enough for a white (amazing) BV cabas :hysteric: !
  4. Hmmmm.....I've seen the same bag, Kat in the store in SF. I think I'd have to agree though with didn't make my heart flip though so I'd personally pass in favor of another Hermes.
  5. Beautiful bag. Just beautiful.
  6. It's a lovely bag but I prefer H.
  7. For the re-sale value and/or long term wear, I'd choose Hermes.
  8. I am a fan of BV too! I have a couple of BV bags. I think the craftsmanship is excellent. However, if I'm going to pay $5,000 for a bag I would choose an Hermes bag. IMO it is superior in quality. The most I've paid for a BV bag is a little over $2,000. I'm not sure I'd spend too much more than that for BV.
  9. wow, trama turgo was quite convincing lol
  10. kat99-

I have both birkins and the med size cabat. I really like it. I was hesitant to buy it at first given that I could probably get another birkin or at least a kelly out of that bag but I still went ahead and bought it. It is a very, very casual bag, much more so than the birkin.

When do I use it? I use it when I think that where I would be going and what I'd be carrying would be too much stress for my birkin.

For traveling - it is both good and bad. Good because it is insconspicuous (sp?) light, easy to pack and quiet hardy. Bad because it is open. The only thing it has inside is a zippered pouch.

I had water spilt on my cabat and after it dried, I couldn't see any trace of the water spots. I really load up my bag when I am carrying the cabat so it does what it's supposed to do for me.

Overall, I would say that if you are in a zero-sum game situation, I would choose the birkin.
  11. I totally agree with trama turgo. In terms of long-term use, refurbishability (is that a word?) and possible resale value you get more bang for your bag with Hermes. I think for a bag with a $$$$$ ticket you have to factor in these aspects.
  12. I love BV!! And this bag is just gorgeous... but if i have to choose then i would definitely choose Hermes!! No doubts!
  13. No doubt, hermes is the best of all. Birkin and lindy are better purchases than cabat in the long term.
  14. Thanks sgaotw, one has to really focus when discussing important things in life he!he!he!:p
  15. The BV is very beautiful but I'd go with H too for all the reasons everyone mentioned. :yes: