Books recommended for new mothers

1. I was wondering if everyone can chime in on what they are reading or what they have read when they had their first child. It would be extremely helpful. Thanks.:heart:

I am going to start with myself. I am currently reading:

--what to expect the first year by Eisenberg, Murkoff and Hathaway

I am sure everyone has either heard of it or read it. classical and full of pertinent information. :yes:

2. When I had my daughter I also read What To Expect The First Year. I also read Annabel Karmel's Baby and Toddler Meal Planner. It was GREAT full of recipes from first tastes up to toddler recipes.

3. I actually did a lot of my research online and only used one book, what to expect...

I feel like message boards really help you!

4. All of the 'What to expect' books have been like my bible's.

When I was pregnant I read 'What to expect when you are expecting' from cover to cover.

'What to expect the first years' was extremely useful and now we're on to 'What to expect the Toddler years', which I'm using as a reference book...don't have time to read that one cover to cover. Not with an almost 3 year old!! :nogood:

5. For something on the ligher side, I have loved Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs and Baby Laughs. Also, "From the Hips" is good as well.

6. ^^^Agreed, Jenny McCarthy's books are great for when you are going insane and wondering if you're the only one who can't handle being a new mommy.

I also read the Week by Week books.

7. Right now I'm reading Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. I've decided to make my own baby food...so this book is really helpful!

8. ditto!!!
    I read the "What to Expect the First Years" from cover to cover, but when I got the "What to Expect the Toddler Years".. naaah!!! I can't even finish 1 chapter.. I have a 2y/o and another little bambino on the way.. life is HECTIC for me now.. (SCARY!!!)

9. if you're baby is having trouble getting on a sleep routine, then you MUST get Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. This has literally been a lifesaver in this house. I can't recommend it enough. It's like a miracle formula. He should add to the title, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, Happy Parents.

10. Oops, almost forgot... I'm also reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I'm about halfway through and everything in there seems to make a lot of sense and I've heard great great things about it.

11. I highly recommend the book "When your child is ill - a home guide for parents" by Dr. Bernard Valman..I'm no expert but I use this book when my child is sick and has helped me to determine what kind of illness they're having. Of course, bring them to see the doctor for correct diagnosis.

12. I ready both of jenny McCarthy's books and they were great!
    My favorite was Your pregnancy week by week. I loved to read each week what was happening.

I have heard babywise is a great book as well for after you have had the baby.

13. I loved the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy/ the first year by Vicki Iovine for a funny but informative guide to what really was going to happen to your life. I also liked The Contented Little Baby Book by Gina Ford and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weisbluth. Also recommend "So That's What They're For", a practical guide to breastfeeding and La Leche League's guide to breastfeeding.

14. I'm not pregnant, and no kids yet. But when I visited my BF with a 4 yo and 2 yo, I was AMAZED at her darling children. BF recommended Ginger Plowman's Don't Make Me Count to Three. I haven't read the book. It's Christian based, but from what I saw in my friend, it helped her not to just TELL kids what to do, but to better explain what doing the right thing MEANS.

15. I really like the The New Basics: A-Z Baby and Child Care for the Modern Parent by Michel Cohen, MD. I think it received mixed reviews but it was a life saver for my dh and I because we worried so much about everything. This book helped us to relax more. And for feeding baby/toddler....First Meals by Annabel Karmel was great! My son ate so many things from this book and it really helps with the whole puree thing. Deceptively Delicious is also very good. HTH!