Boo Hiss Boo Katie Couric!!

IntlSet said:
Regarding James Frey, I don't see the big deal. It seems naive to believe that anybody's memoirs don't have fictional moments for the sake of story-telling... just from an English major's point of view.

I agree 100% I doubt there is a person in this world who can remember things _exactly_ as they happened, there will always be some degree of embellishment.

Something's very very fishy here...don't know if the fault lies with the author, the "packaging company" that was grooming her for superstardom, the publishers, the editors.....what i don't understand is what are editors and publishing houses for? With the billions they generate i wonder why they wouldn't invest in software that could search databases of published books...i know such software exists for professors to check their students works for plagiarism. I don't understand why no one caught this before it was published.

If she did write this at all, I don't buy the plagiarism story. There's just no way

Ooh I was reading about this today and the whole situation made me so mad! While I do question this publishing house and the editors I do not believe this girl had no idea she was copying. I was reading an article on MSN and they did a comparison of a paragraph from The Princess Diares by Meg Cabot and this chick's book. They were practically identical. I know a newspaper where she interned is now checking into the articles she wrote for them, and I hope Harvard does the same. Who knows who wrote her admissions essays, or anything else for that matter. I know this is not necessarily "academic misconduct" as it is taking place outside of school, but I feel Harvard should take some sort of action.

Katie has been a barracuda for years. You can see it behind that smile and also in the eyes. I think she's probably taking a harder line in interviews these days due to her new gig as evening news anchor coming up. Many have said the "cute" persona won't fly on the news every night... who knows.

I agree with Roo. Katie needs to shed her light as air moring anchor personnae and become a hard knocks news woman. It's not going to happen overnight.

I have no idea waht Katie is like. I've never watched much morning television...but the concept of a morning anchor on the evening news gives me pause.

As for the Harvard girl - she should be booted out of Harvard. Harvard still has standards, doesn't it?

Oh my gosh...I am obsessed with this story...do you know there are four or five other books this girl has been said to have copied from? the list keeps growing. Either she's a photographic memory genius or she's a complete cheat. If anyone's interested, look up Kaavyagate on MSN.com. There are all the latest articles with passage by passage comparisons of all the books she's allegedly copied from.

At first I felt somewhat sorry for her since she comes from a similar community that I come from, but now I think she is sooooo arrogant and probably did it and thought she would not get caught. I'm thankful that my parents and family promoted good ethics above all (and my bro and I still managed to go to Stanford, and we did NOT buy our way in)
This story is hitting a major nerve with me.

summertime said:
As for the Harvard girl - she should be booted out of Harvard. Harvard still has standards, doesn't it?

Harvard recently released a statement saying that they were not going to give her the boot.

This is probably due to the fact that her admittance to begin with was not based on the book. I think that's the right decision, personally, on Harvard's part... but how *embarrassing* for her, her family (often the people that give you your scruples or lack thereof), etc. This is something that's going to always haunt her. If I were this girl, I'd up and move to Timbucktoo immediately.