Blue roses set for sale

1. Interesting, I can't wait to see these.,25197,23157307-12377,00.html

From correspondents in Tokyo | February 04, 2008

THINK that red roses are predictable? In Japan, gift-givers soon will also have the option of blue roses.

The Japanese company that created the world's first genetically modified blue roses said today it will start selling them next year.

Suntory Ltd, also a major whisky distiller, hopes to sell several hundred thousand blue roses a year, company spokesman Kazumasa Nishizaki said.

"As its price may be a bit high, we are targeting demand for luxurious cut flowers, such as for gifts,'' he said.

The exact price and commercial name for the blue rose have not been decided.

The company is also growing the rose experimentally in Australia and the United States to get approval for sales, but no timing has been set for commercial launches there.

Suntory in 2004 unveiled the world's first genetically modified blue rose after 14 years of study which also involved Australian researchers.

It created the flowers by implanting the gene that leads to the synthesis of the blue pigment Delphinidin in pansies. The pigment does not exist naturally in roses.
  2. I've seen blue roses & poinsettias. The ones I've seen are not a true blue to me, more of a purplish blue. Which is what you get when you mix red & blue. Someone else beat them to it.
    Someday I'm sure they will create blue in any tone.
  3. Couldn't you get blue by putting a white rosebud in water colored with blue dye?
  4. :p That's what I was wondering too. I think I did something like that in a grade school science class.
  5. wroses104.jpg blue%20bird.jpg
  6. Oh Suntory, they make a damn good tea and beer but these roses are indeed purple.

I'll still want to buy some next year in Nihon :biggrin:
  7. how silly, I seen blue and purple roses in downtown Boston, MA. Although I think they were dyed they were still colored.
  8. They look purple not blue.
  9. I've seen true blue roses, as well as purple, at my local Ralph's....
  10. The title of this post made me think of The Glass Menagerie.

Blue roses sound really cool. I've never seen any.
  11. that's right..they look more like purple.but still, they are pretty!!!
    i want ones too!!hehe
  12. I've been getting blue roses for about 6 years now. I'm pretty sure they are dyed. Some blue is more blue then others and there are also purple roses as well... they're soooooo pretty! i love them