Blegh- cracked heels- remedies?

1. I haven't had this problem before as I usually smother my feet with cream after showering, but I ran out of cream and have not been moisturizing my heels for the past week or two. Now they have cracked and it hurts a bit to walk on them. What can I do the help them heal? Any tips or product suggestions for fast relief and recovery:yes: ?
  2. kerasol and socks at night
  3. I get this bad during the winter. I have to buy this stuff that is kind of like a crazy glue and it seals the cracks. I also pumice my heels to death.
  4. I use a Credo scraping tool on my feet every day in the shower. I also use a foot moisturizing cream afterwards. About once a week I apply a foot "masque" from OPI. Sometimes I"ll use a special foot scrub too. I am a fanatic about my foot care. It takes a little extra time, but my feet always look nice!
  5. I ocassionally get a skin crack on my foot. Don't know why as I pumice & slather on Vaseline every night but anyway, what helps mine heal is to always keep some sort of cream/medicine on the crack. Seems they would heal somewhat during the night & as soon as I would get up in the morning & walk on it, it would crack open again- painful! So I would recommend lightly pumicing your heels in the bath/shower, then putting neosporin (or other first aid cream) on the crack & covering it with a band-aid. That should keep the medication on it longer without it drying out. I would also suggest keeping something bedside & putting in on the cracks before you get up & walk.
  6. Vaseline at night slathered on and a sock. I also use the Swedish Clover pumice board. I am a runner so I have HORRIBLE feet.
  7. I have extremely dry skin and I like to go barefoot at home - don't like slippers or socks - so I end up with cracking heels in winter often. After trying many brands that claimed they could heal my poor feet, I found this one: Neat Feat :: Orthotics, Foot and Body care Products I orginally got a sample of the Foot and Heel Balm with a pair of gel socks I bought at Rite Aid. You know it's working b/c it hurts a little when you put it on. I recommend showering, using a pumice/file, the Neat Feat Balm,and gel socks which you can get at the drugstore, but here's a link Nightime™ Gel Heel Sock :: Heel Protection :: Heel Protection :: Colonial Medical Assisted Devices . This should clear the problem up in a few days, but you have to use it on a fairly regular basis to prevent heel from getting bad again.:welcome:
  8. Found this article today in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Cracking your dry-skin problem
    Winterize yourself with a mix of natural ingredients -- peanut oil, olive oil, even plain old water -- and high-tech treatments.
    By Carolyn Poirot
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer
    Many of the Cosmedicine products employ a popular wrinkle filler to fight wintertime damage.
    Many of the Cosmedicine products employ a popular wrinkle filler to fight wintertime damage.
    More photos

Cold winter weather is hard on the skin even though ultraviolet radiation does less damage this time of the year than during the hot summer when the sun is beating down.

Dry indoor air is actually the skin's worst enemy in winter, says Dr. Diego Marra at the Center for Skin and Cosmetic Dermatology in Fort Worth.

"The winter is bad on skin because of dry heat used to warm our homes," Marra says.

He recommends:

Add moisture -- anything that will restore moisture in the environment and on the skin. If your home doesn't have a humidifying system in its heating ducts, consider buying a humidifier to help keep skin and nasal passages from drying out.

Use creams vs. lotions. Marra says he recommends and uses any cream that contains dimethicone, an oil-free silicone derivative found in Vaseline Intensive Care Cream, Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Cream, Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream and many inexpensive drugstore generics. "The only rule I have is that creams are better than lotions for extremely dry skin. Lotions go on easier, but they are thinner and do not moisturize as well," Marra says.

Remember sunscreen. You don't need sunscreen all over when bundled up in warm clothing, but your hands and face still need protecting throughout the winter with a moisturizer that has an SPF of 15. Remember: Some of the worst sunburns are from light rays reflected off snow.

Here are more tips and products to protect your skin this winter: Shield

When the outer layers of skin, which act as a barrier against chemicals, dirt, bacteria and other toxins, are impaired, you need more than moisturizers, you need a barrier-repair product, says Suzanne Lane, spokeswoman for CeraVe, a widely available skin-care product.

"The problem is not just that your skin feels dry, but that the barrier layer requires repair. When the barrier layer is compromised by tiny fissures, the skin feels dry, rough, chapped and irritated," Lane says.

A shielding lotion not only adds moisture to your skin but also stops the loss of natural moisture from the skin, she says

CeraVe moisturizing lotion (12 ounces, $12.99) is sold at Walgreens, CVS and other drugstores.

Your skin may be feeling overwhelmed, with so little moisture in the air and winter wind stressing it. Peanut oil and olive oil will allow water to penetrate the skin's surface, leaving even severely dry skin feeling soothed, smooth and supersoft.

E.T. Browne Co., which has been producing Palmer's Cocoa Butter formulas for since 1840, recently introduced its new Palmer's Olive Butter formulations with extra virgin olive oil and vitamin E.

The 8.5-ounce Palmer's Olive Butter Formula Lotion sells for $4.65. The olive butter formula also comes in concentrated cream, organic body balm, therapy soap, hair conditioner and spray oil. The products are widely available at Target, Wal-Mart and drugstores, or at www.etbrowne!.com

Another option is Hill Moisture Riser, which contains pharmaceutical-grade peanut oil synthesized so that the peanut protein is removed, making it safe for use by peanut-sensitive individuals, Lane says.

It is designed to be rubbed into wet skin, immediately after showering or washing your face - before you dry off.

A box containing one 6-ounce bottle of Hill Moisture Riser and one spray bottle costs $19.75 and is available at by calling 888-445-5468 Hill Dermaceuticals.

At Sephora in North East Mall, makeup artist Christine Martin recommends Philosophy's "Hope in a Jar" ($35 for a 2-ounce jar). She pointed out that the facial moisturizer has made "Oprah's Favorite Things" list two years in a row.

A therapeutic daily facial moisturizer for dry or sensitive skin types, this product was originally created for the medical market and used by plastic surgeons and dermatologists as a healing cream for patients who have had laser and chemical peels. It is recommended for even the most traumatized skin.

"You can use it for everything, all day and all night long, by itself or under makeup," Martin said.

Another highly recommended product is Private Nurse Recovery and Repair Cream, part of the new Cosmedicine line, developed for Sephora. A deeply hydrating nighttime treatment cream, it plumps up depressions, adds fullness to the skin and reduces fine lines. In clinical studies, dryness was reduced by 67 percent while elasticity was increased by 32 percent, says Jeff Schreier, manager of education for Sephora.

The Cosmedicine moisturizers use a topical form of a popular wrinkle filler. The line includes cleansers, toners, moisturizers and a combination cleanser, toner and makeup remover.

The $48 "starter set" includes a 1.7-ounce foaming cleanser, 0.17-ounce fortifying serum, 0.5-ounce moisturizer with SPF 20, a 0.25-ounce eye cream and a 1.35-ounce exfoliator.

The Cosmedicine and Philosophy lines are available at Sephora stores and Fragrance, Cosmetics & the Finest Facial Skin Care Product Selection at

Personal trainers have been recommending water for rehydration forever; now cosmetic companies are pushing it to rehydrate skin.

At Ulta, H2O+ is a favorite new "sea-derived" skin-care line that puts moisture back into dry skin.

The H2O+ products are oxygen-based and include "Face Oasis," a hydrating gel that smells nice and diminishes fine lines in addition to hydrating your skin; and Oasis24 hydrating booster.

The Face Oasis set contains 1.7 ounces of hydrating treatment, 1 ounce of cleansing water and 0.067 ounces of hydrating booster for about $40.

"They draw oxygen from the air and pull it into your skin," says Katelyn Skelton, administrative manager at the Ulta store in Fort Worth's Trinity Commons. "It's basically a water-based solution that provides a protective film that draws moisture into your skin."

Another of Skelton's favorite new dry-skin products is Skindinavia's Lok Finish Spray ($29), a smudge-proof finishing spray that locks in moisture after you apply makeup.

For the most seriously dry skin, another consultant at Ulta recommended NeoCeuticals' Problem Dry Skin Treatment ($25 for a 3.4-ounce jar), an extra-strength cream that uses water to relieve severely dry, scaling and flaking skin.

These three products are available at Ulta stores or - The Ultimate Beauty Site : Home

Tips to relieve winter itch

Soak in the tub. Keep the water lukewarm. The temperature shouldn't be above 90 degrees. Adding bath oil to the water may help retain and replenish the oil in your skin.

Keep showers short. Don't bask in a long, hot shower. The hot water can strip the skin of its natural elements, contributing to dry skin. Instead, use lukewarm water for a shorter period.

Use soap sparingly. If possible, limit soap use to your face, armpits, genitals, hands and feet. Avoid antibacterial and deodorant soaps. Mild cleansers such as Cetaphil, Dove or Vanicream are less drying. Avoid products with fragrances and lauryl sulfates, which can be irritating.

Pat skin dry. Avoid rubbing or wiping your skin. Instead, leave it moist by gently patting or blotting with your towel.

Moisturize. Immediately after drying off, apply a thick moisturizing cream or ointment. Avoid creams or lotions that contain alcohol.

Use a humidifier. Keep indoor air moisture at 40 percent to 50 percent. Keep your house on the cool side; between 68 and 75 degrees is reasonable.

Pamper your hands. Wear gloves to protect hands from low cold temperatures and dry air that trigger eczema. Gloves can also help eliminate cracked or splitting cuticles or nails.

Don't forget your lips. Apply lip blocks and lipsticks that contain a high SPF.

SOURCES: Mayo Clinic Health Letter, December; American Society for Dermatologic Surgery

Star-Telegram | 12/27/2006 | Cracking your dry-skin problem
  9. Bag Balm!!!! It's gentle and effective!
  10. I also have this problem, I live in AZ, it's extremely dry here, summer and winter. I've tried everything. Hands down the best product ever is called
    CALLUS AWAY, it's a liquid you let set on your heels for a few minutes, there's also a Callus Away maintenance cream to use a few times a week. I found this a CVS one day and decided to try it, it's amazing.

Like I said, I've tried everything for my cracked heels and this works w/in a matter of minutes. My heels look beauitful, no cracks at all when I'm done. I hope you try it, it's the BEST!!!
  11. Oo..I wonder if they have it in Canada
    Great article, Coachwife- and I am going to look for Bag Balm too, how apt a name is that;)
    I got a pedicure tody and she got rid of most of the cracked skin, I don't know how she did it but I hope I'm not walking around on some secondary layer of skin right now, lol!
  12. i just came from a spa in vancouver canada and they lady recommended gehwol gel for my foot. i think its made in germany. so far its been really nice. the spa is

they actually have a good christmas special that i just had. $89 bucks for 4 treatments!
  13. ^^ yup! try petroleum jelly, then clingwrap + socks
  14. I use glysomed and it works great!