Birthday Cards for Shane

1. My friend met a young boy named Shane. He's 7 years old and has leukemia. This year, his birthday wish is to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for having the most birthday cards sent to him. The previous title is held by someone who received 3 million cards.

Cards need to reach him before his birthday which is May 30th. They can be mailed to:

Shane Bernier
    P.O. Box 484
    Lancaster ON
    K0C 1N0

Please share this with as many people as you can; friends, family, work, school, any groups you belong too...just anyone and everyone!

You can check out
  2. Comments: True. Seven-year-old Shane Bernier of Lancaster, Ontario was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia three years ago and is currently undergoing chemotherapy at Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario. If the treatment succeeds, doctors say he has an 80 percent chance of permanent remission.

Last year, with the help of his family, Shane launched his bid to be the Guinness World Record holder for the most birthday cards received by an individual. He will turn 8 years old on May 30, 2007. At last report he had accumulated over 10,000 cards and was receiving new ones at the rate of a thousand a day.

Craig Shergold, a cautionary tale

The only obstacle in Shane Bernier's way, ironically, is the fact that the previous record holder for greeting cards, Craig Shergold, had such a successful run that Guinness retired the category. Shergold, an urban legend in his own right because chain letters soliciting get well cards are still circulating in his name a decade-and-a-half after he won the record, began his own quest in 1989 after he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Surgery cured his disease in 1991, at which point he had already received 33 million cards and the permanent world record, but that wasn't the end of the story. Now in his late twenties, Shergold is still receiving get well cards, the latest total topping 350 million. It is a cautionary tale Shane Bernier might do well to heed.

A February 3, 2007 article in the Ottawa Citizen reported that the Guinness folks are "considering" adding a new category -- birthday cards -- so Shane Bernier will have a real shot at a World Record.

Birthday Cards for Shane Bernier - Netlore Archive
  3. Well that is nice that they are thinking to add a category that would fit him.

Thanks for posting Caitlin and Emily
  4. Mine's going to be in the mail tomorrow! I hope he qualifies.
  5. Sounds great......I wish him a full recovery!