Birth Control- IUD- Mirena? Anyone use it?

1. I am wanting to get off the Depo shot. I have taken it for the last 11 months so that's almost 4 shots...

I have gained over 30 pounds in that time. I was around 160 when I started and am almost 190 now! And I'm 20 5'5.

I have severe depression on it and horrible mood swings. I have been diagnosed with depression before but it was never as bad as it is now. I cry for no reason, I lash out at people and nit pick over the stupidest things.

Sex is Ok. But I'm sure it has been better before the shot.

The only PLUS was that I never got a period which I LOVED! But i will deal with an occasional period rather than 30 lbs of extra weight...

So I saw a commercial about the IUD Mirena. It's a 5 year plan type deal but can be removed before that. I am 20 and don't plan on having kids for years so I think this would be a great choice...

I was just wondering if anyone here has used such a thing.
    Here's a link to it...

I just wanted to know wht type of side effects you have had and if any major weight gain...

Thanks In Advance.

Also, I don't have insurance do you know how much it is without insurance? Thanks.
  2. I have one. I've had it for two years. I had it placed six weeks after my daughter was born. I'm no doctor, so I don't know, but I think it's recommended for women who have already had a baby... because childbirth changes your cervix, making insertion easier.
  3. Oh, and probably a couple hundred at least without insurance.
  4. The Mirena is recommended for women who are in a monogamous relationship and do not wish to have children for at least 5 years. You have to have had negative gonorrhea/chlamydia cultures within 3 months of insertion because the combination of the Mirena and STD's is a huge risk for PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). It's a very convenient form of birth control that is not associated with the side effects of the other varieties.

Oh, and does your state have a women's health program? Our clinic has a program called Adagio Health that provides Mirena free of charge through the program. Here is the website - I haven't looked around to see what states are included in the program.

Oh, and I just thought I should explain - I am a family medicine resident in my last couple months of residency and have talked to many women about Mirena insertion :smile:

ETA: NM, Adagio is only for PA...hopefully your state has something similar.
  5. Actually I DO go to Adagio health already. So that's great info. I will def. have to check with them about it.
  6. Have it and love it! I was on Depo for an accumulation of 10 years which is very bad! I had begun to lose some bone density and had to switch--I was only 30 at the time, too! I have no periods, no side effects, nothing. I had some uncomfortable cramping the first couple of days after insertion, but otherwise it has been a great decision!