Bikram [Hot] Yoga

1. I just went to my first Bikram Yoga class today. It's a yoga class held in a 105 degree room and you sweat like you've never sweated before. Seriously, I was dizzy from the heat. The instructor said that a beginner should take ten classes before they are able to get the full benefits of the regimen. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm just curious what your experiences have been. Thanks!
  2. I have done it a few times. I think the heat is too intense for me, and don't really care for it.
  3. I've never done this type of yoga, but a close friend of mine did it one morning before we were supposed to go shopping together. She told me that she felt like she was going to pass out during the class and kept chugging water the entire day we were together. I swear, I have never seen someone drink so much in a day! She wouldn't stop sweating all day either. It was the first and last time she went. I would actually like to try it myself one time though. I love working up a good sweat!
  4. I've tried it twice. I got a great workout from it but the studio sort of smelled like BO and I felt like I was suffocating. Also I didn't quite feel right with the "vibe" of the studio though I can't really explain why.
  5. I've been doing it for almost a year now.
    I love it. The heat was kind of hard for me to take in the beginning but moving my body and stretching my joints were much better in the heat.
    I've seen significant improvements in several parts of my body.

(1) I have a weak lower back and Bikram has helped me strenghthen my back muscles.

(2) I was able to go down a full pants size because my thighs have shrunken. I had always worn my pants a size bigger because of those damn thighs.. but now My pants fit better on my thighs as well as my waste.

(3) And my calves have shrunken 1 whole inch in diameter!!! even more than when I did pilates.

(4) I also used to have left over flabs from losing weight but now I can see the flabs have tightened. I have yet to see increase in muscle size as I've seen on some Yogis, but I feel stronger...

(5) My neck becamse LONGER!! I was looking at my profile the other day and I MYSELF noticed that my neck got longer. How awesome is that!

The two activities I SWEAR my own life by are Bikram Yoga and pilates.

Yes, its like compound interest... going 10 days in a row can give you the maximum benefits. You'll see the significant results!!! After that you feel like you're not improving... but there are good days and bad days...

However, Bikram yoga does take so much water out of you. Don't feel happy about weighing yourself after class since you're only losing water weight. You MUST drink a LOT of water while you are doing bikram yoga to keep yourself from dehydrating.
  6. OK, I just registered for classes with a friend and am starting this next week. The sessions are 1.5 hrs long! The list of instructions on the website are very detailed. The recommend no eating 2-3 hrs prior. The session burns 400 calories.

This is what they say to expect after the first class:
    You might find yourself feeling extremely energetic and experience difficulty sleeping. Don't worry--this is a good sign that the yoga is truly filling you up with energy. You don't have insomnia. You just have more time to do the things you enjoy.

You might feel very tired after class. This is absolutely normal and a good sign that your body is cleansing. Your energy levels should be restored to normal within several classes.
    You might feel sore or stiff the day after your first class. Come back to class as soon as possible! Muscle soreness is blocked energy or a build up of lactic acid. What's the best way to get rid of the lactic acid? Stretching. It may seem impossible to imagine that coming back for more will help, but it is the best way to relieve the soreness. Congratulations your body is waking up and coming alive and you want to keep the process going!
    You might feel nauseous, dizzy or headachy after class. This could be a sign that you are dehydrated. Please drink lots of water before returning to class. Or it could be a sign that you were trying so hard that you weren't breathing normally. Please breathe normally during every posture.
  7. I used to do Bikram (when I wasn't working 60 -80 hour workweeks) and it was the best thing for my body.

Of course, only you will be able to tell if your tolerance level for heat makes Bikram beneficial.

Good luck, drink lots of water (I freeze mine a bit so the water stays cold during the 90min class) and remember not to over stretch! The heat makes you more limber by warming up your muscles but that doesn't mean it won't hurt later!
  8. i did this for prob. about a year before i was pregnant. i really enjoyed it- i think you'll figure out pretty quickly as to whether it is right for you or not. also, bring a towel or two. and water. have fun!
  9. I've been wanting to try this. There was a place I used to work near, and everyone I ever saw coming out of there had a great figure.
  10. That's definitely the best advertisement!

I am starting on Monday with my friend, so I will keep ya'll posted. :smile:
  11. Tried it but am never going back. But that's just me. I couldn't stand the heat and the smell of other people. Also, the guy in front of me obviously had no underwear on under his pants. Men should never wear white yoga pants to Bikram yoga. Well, straight men anyway...
  12. ^ Ew! :throwup:
  13. I unfortunatley do not have a studio near me, but I would love to try it! Keep us updated!
  14. Okay, this "hot" yoga sounded like a little slice of hell to me after reading the very first post but after reading this I'm convinced that it is. :p
  15. I didn't notice any guys with no underwear but I got bugged by the noises some guy in the back of the room was making. It made me want to laugh. It was hard to describe but it was like he was over dramatic about his breathing or something.