Big Vein and Denture Head, Normal?

1. Hi There,

I have a 5 months boy and he is such a great baby. He is at great health and no complication at birth.

On my boy head, there is big vein on his head just above is ear. It runs about one side to the other about 6 inches long. When you put a finger there, it feels dented so it like that is a gap on his skull. We had never dropped our baby.

Is it normal? Should that him to hospital for check? My husband and I are very concern? Please advise.

Thanks,

2. When do you have your next checkup for him? They're at 4 and 6 months, right? I would just call to see when you can get in for the 6 month one -- maybe you can go a bit early -- and ask the doctor then. Or just call and make an appointment to have your regular pediatrician check it out. I wouldn't start off at the hospital (unless you mean your regular pediatrician is there), since it will potentially cost you a lot more than a doctor's visit.

3. My next appointment is the beginning of November and it's for his 6th months check up. I just too worry.

4. If you are worried about it, I would def make an app now and go in.

I am a new young mom. I knew that the soft spot on top the head is normal...but one day I felt it on my baby and it seemed so big. Like a huge hole. So I made an app and took her in that day. Of course they laughed at me...but better say than sorry I say. I thought I made the hole bigger some how!

5. omgsweet, your baby is beautiful! How old is she now? How is her head now? Has that hole filled and hardened?

6. ^^Thank you! She is 5 months old now. She was 4 months in that pic.

The whole on her head is just the normal soft spot that every baby has. There was nothing wrong with it. I knew that it was there, I just thought I made it bigger somehow. So I took her in. But shes completely normal. They told me the hole will close up by the time she is 18 months.

I checked my babies head for you and I dont feel any dents on the SIDE. So if I were you, I would def take him in to make sure its normal. Everybodys head is shaped differently. So it may be totally normal. But just to be safe, it doesnt hurt to let the doc check.

7. If you're really worried, then call and take him in to your pediatrician. Babies do start off with soft spots over their ears (I found a diagram if you're interested - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/babys-soft-spots/MM00082), so that could very well be it, but go have the doctor put your mind at ease.

8. Please make an appointment with your pediatrician if you are worried. It's normal for newborn babies to have visible and even prominent veins on the scalp, and in some babies there may be ridges between the skull bones that you can feel (not all the bones are fused when they are born - this is why head shape changes a lot in the beginning). I wouldn't go rushing your baby to the ER but if your next visit is weeks away and this is bothering you, have one scheduled earlier for your peace of mind.

9. After watching the video that Kimberf sent, I think the denture is where the line in which different two bones formed. I'll wait till his next visit to ask the pediatrician. I appreciate all your help. Being new mom is not easy especially I have my mom, mother-in-law, and older sister freak out about things. Thanks again. I feel much better now.

10. Being a new mom is scary, but wonderful! I'm sure he's fine.