BIG decision and I'm only 23!!

1. Sorry it's so long...but I am really at a crossroads and I need some wisdom :girlsigh:

I recently graduated from college about 2 months ago...and like many other college graduates I'm deciding on a career path. I applied for my dream job (urban planner) 2 months ago and got the big ol' R E J E C T I O N due to lack of experience :shrugs: I was devestated, but perservered and applied to jobs that pertained to my major, Environmental, Health, Science and Policy. Well, I got a job right away (pay is OK, boring, flexible schedule, but yucky co-worker :push: )

Well, I received a call back for a city planning intnernship position...Basically, this is the door I need to walk through in order to get (what I think is) my dream job one day...HOWEVER, it would mean a 50% pay cut (bc I'd be working only part time) and only the OPPORTUNITY to get an associate planning position in the future. I should note that nearly ALL top level planners started out as interns, and it is a door you MUST go through in order to move on up.

My question is: Should I leave my current job for just the opportunity to do something I like more? What if I do and I regret it; but worse: what if I DON'T and I regret it?? :sos:

I guess they don't call it quarter life crisis for nothing.... :hrmm:

2. If it is at all possible for you to take the pay cut and still eat...TAKE THE INTERNSHIP! As they say on "The Office" (the REAL version)..."It's better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb than halfway up one you don't." Go for it! You will be happier in the long run.

3. i would say do it. You are still young and if you cant get your dream job without doing the internship first, I say take the internship. Prove yourself and maybe you will get a job sooner than you expected. I think it is easier when you are young to take a smaller pay.

4. Take the intership. It's always better to get YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR, once you are in there...anything is possible. You'll never know when there will be a new position opens...or when someone is leaving and when that happens, you have greater chance of getting it than the ones who are not "in the door".

5. Do it. Some career paths can only begin that way. It is well worth it. I took lower paying jobs at the start of my career because I learned a lot and it was a great thing on my resume. I have never regretted it.

6. Regreting something we've DONE is ALWAYS easier to fix, than regreting somthing we did NOT do. You can change your future, you can never change your past.

I would go for it!!!

7. You have to move up somehow, ya know? Take the internship, suffer a paycut, but realize that in the end you'll be more successful. Also, it's a great opportunity that might not come again. Just my two cents!

8. If you can afford to take the pay cut take it! If this is something you have to do in order to move up to the position that you want DO IT!

9. I would absolutely do it! Depending on your initiative, you might move up quicker than you think. You gotta learn to make sacrifices in life to get to where you really want to be. It shows the employer as well your level of dedication. Go for it! Good luck!

10. Definitely go for the internship! You'll gain valuable experience that you probably won't get in your current job.
    It's easy to get stuck in the rut of a job you hate...and then boom...10 years has passed and you're kicking yourself every day for your misery!

You're young...go for it!

11. Go for it!! If you don't try, you will always wonder "what if?" You are still really young and there is always time to do something else if it doesn't end up being your dream job, but you have to find out if it is! I took a job out of university that paid really well and seemed okay, but I realized after two years that I hadn't given up on my dream of getting my phd. Now I am back at schoo,l halfway through the phd program, and I don't regret my decision one bit--although I miss the $! I think the other job gave me a good break from school and taught me a lot, but I don't regret quitting it to pursue my dream!

12. Go for it if this is what you want to do with your life! Make the sacrifices now and it will all work out later!

13. Take the internship!!! If you find you are short on money at first take a 2nd job as a waitress or starbucks barista (something with a flexible schedule) Remember that is only temporary and will set you up later for your dream job. Good luck :smile:

14. Go for it!

15. Since the job is only part-time, maybe you can find another part-time job to go with it and make up the pay difference? Good luck!