Best way to 'detax' after H in Europe

Global Refund charges 1% if you want cash refund and no service charge for cc refund. Cc refund usually takes about 6 weeks, as in my several past experiences, but the exchange rate could be stingy. So, you normally end up getting approximately 11% with either refund method.

Ok, just got back from my vacation and figured out how to do the detaxe at the Geneva airport after purchasing an item in France...

Geneva Airport actually has 2 sections: The regular Swiss airport, and a French sector of the airport, which allows people to enter France without transiting through Switzerland. Bring your item to be detaxed to the French Sector, where you will find the "Douane Française" (French Customs office). You can speak to one of the customs officers there, who will ask to inspect your item to be detaxed, and then will stamp and send the Detaxe form in the mail for you. But once you finish with the detaxe procedures, you'd actually have to come back to the Swiss part of the airport in order to catch your flight. There's actually a door in the French sector for international departures, which is like a maze...it will lead you to the Swiss Passport control who will inspect your passport, then let you through to the Swiss part of the airport. My DB and I were so confused at first, we must have crossed the French/Swiss border at least 5 times that day trying to figure out how to detaxe!

Mimi, I'm pretty sure there's a global refund office in the Geneva airport. On the way back to the states, I had a connection through Zurich and saw an office there.

Hi! I've returned home with the stamped forms, & realised I've misplaced the envelopes. Am I correct to assume that the address to post the pink form to is the one printed on the form itself, ie Boite Postale 84, 93501 Pantin Cedex?

Is there anything else that I need to enclose, or will the pink form itself be sufficient? Thanks heaps!

I've done detax at both amsterdam and paris. i think both are quite efficient but i've always arrived at least 3 hours before departure.

i usually go to the custom desk to get my goods inspected and stamped. with high ticket luxury goods, it is my experience that they will always look at one or two pieces. thus, i always make sure that they r packed with easy access in my luggage should i need to retrieve them. after i get the custom stamps, i would simply take off my receipts and mail the form in the accompanying envelopes. there is always a mailbox nearby so it shouldn't take too long to do this step. then i check in my luggages (but not my Hermes bag, of course!)

i didn't realize that you can get Hermes refund through Global Refund (nor do I want to) since Hermes processes their own tax refund. however, on some of my Global Refund form, i have read that if your store happens to use Global Refund as their processor (I think Prada and BV use them), you can get a credit card refund right on the spot, provided you go to a Global Refund desk. That way, you don't need to wait the 5-8 weeks nor do you need to pay service charge for them to give you cash. In Hermes case, as the amount is quite high, I'd prefer my credit card to get the refund as well as the overseas charge that they charge us (up to 3%).

oh, Hermes only refund 10% because they want to make money on the refund as well and you don't get tax refund on the sale items as well. with other luxury goods, i typically get about 13%.

I've done detax at both amsterdam and paris. i think both are quite efficient but i've always arrived at least 3 hours before departure.

i usually go to the custom desk to get my goods inspected and stamped. with high ticket luxury goods, it is my experience that they will always look at one or two pieces. thus, i always make sure that they r packed with easy access in my luggage should i need to retrieve them. after i get the custom stamps, i would simply take off my receipts and mail the form in the accompanying envelopes. there is always a mailbox nearby so it shouldn't take too long to do this step. then i check in my luggages (but not my Hermes bag, of course!)

i didn't realize that you can get Hermes refund through Global Refund (nor do I want to) since Hermes processes their own tax refund. however, on some of my Global Refund form, i have read that if your store happens to use Global Refund as their processor (I think Prada and BV use them), you can get a credit card refund right on the spot, provided you go to a Global Refund desk. That way, you don't need to wait the 5-8 weeks nor do you need to pay service charge for them to give you cash. In Hermes case, as the amount is quite high, I'd prefer my credit card to get the refund as well as the overseas charge that they charge us (up to 3%).

oh, Hermes only refund 10% because they want to make money on the refund as well and you don't get tax refund on the sale items as well. with other luxury goods, i typically get about 13%.

We do get 10% refund on sales items at the H sales.

just want to let everyone know that the tax refund forms i posted in mid June at CDG paris airport has now all been refunded to my credit card as of Jul 23. So it takes approximately 5~6 weeks for processing.

Hi, I am currently in Switzerland after shopping at Paris. I will be heading back to Singapore via Geneva-Amsterdam-Singapore, transiting at Schipol with connecting flight only 1.5 hours in between. I have asked a few and many gave me different answers and thus I am still in the dark on how the detax should work. I would really appreciate if forummers could provide some insights to the detax procedures as I am a first timer shopper in Europe.

1) Have the handbags with me as hand carry, check in my other baggage in the Geneva airport and board the flight to Amsterdam. Am I right that there will be no passport control in Geneva airport?

2) In Amsterdam, is there passport control after getting off the plane? Can I exit the waiting hall/security hall? My understanding is that I should head to the custom office to get my forms stamped, but how am I going to do this if I am not allowed to exit from the waiting hall? Will there be a custom office INSIDE the security area?

3) I am planning to mail the form only after I get back to Singapore as I do not think I would have ample time to find a stamp in Amsterdam. I have actually opted for the refund to go to my credit card. Is there a problem with mailing from Singapore?

Kindly correct me.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, me and my wife will be in Paris for a few days shopping trip this coming Feb 2011. We will be taking a night train from Paris Bercy Train Station to Italy. Please assist us in the following :

1. Is there a de tax station in Paris Bercy Train Station which I can do the de tax like in the airport ?

2. If not ; where is the nearest de tax station in Paris besides the airport ?

3. Can I bring all the bags which I've bought from Paris and get it de tax in Italy ?

Can anyone assist.

Many thanks in advance.
Xavier and Nicole.

ponnie, there is a custom INSIDE the security area but I can't remember exactly where now. I was asked once by customs outside to bring my back INSIDE to show it to them AGAIN. Unfortunately, Schiphol is very big and you should give yourself enough time to make sure you find the right place. Sometimes, it is not even staffed and you will have to search high and low for another custom post! it's very tricky but airports are not designed with detaxe in mind, unfortunately.

most forms are self stamped (no stamps necessary) if mailed in Europe, so best to mail them in Europe. However, if you can, make sure you keep a copy for yourself (I usually make the custom official stamp BOTH forms)

p.s. just found this... (as well as realized ponnie's post is from Jan 2010!) but I will still share, anyway :biggrin:

You can find a Customs validation office at two different locations at Schiphol Airport. One is located before entering the terminal at Departures 2 near the KLM check-in 15/16 and the other is after you have entered the terminal at Gate D10.

https://www.vatfree.nl/images/stories/basics/plattegrond-VatfreeEN-2.gif

Last edited:
xavierng, you cannot detaxe in paris if you are travelling to italy. both belong to EU and you should only detaxe at your last port exiting from EU. So if you are going to Italy to another EU country, then you would detaxe at the last EU country, UK including.

hope this helps.

Hi All

Among all detax experience in EU.
Where is the best airport to be flying out from EU?
I'm thinking of Madrid, Paris or Amsterdam but i've seen bad reviews on Madrid before and personally i've only done detax in Paris airport while flying off by Emirates airline and there's one custom office just next to it.

Hi All

Among all detax experience in EU.
Where is the best airport to be flying out from EU?
I'm thinking of Madrid, Paris or Amsterdam but i've seen bad reviews on Madrid before and personally i've only done detax in Paris airport while flying off by Emirates airline and there's one custom office just next to it.
it's depends of the last port of exit! if your last leg is from Amsterdam to left EU, then it should be Amsterdam unless it's only a transit and the bags are checked in all the way back home. Southern Europe custom is always troublesome, I would avoid it. :cool: