Best way to clean and care for chain straps on bags?

HelenB

Jan 2, 2013
Apologies if this has been asked before; searched but couldn't find anything.

For bags that have straps that are metal chains with leather interwoven through them, what's the best way to care for and clean the strap - both the metal and the interwoven leather? I've bought a preloved Mulberry Lily on eBay but the brass chain is slightly tarnished and I'd like to clean it off but am worried about products damaging the leather.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Apologies if this has been asked before; searched but couldn't find anything.

For bags that have straps that are metal chains with leather interwoven through them, what's the best way to care for and clean the strap - both the metal and the interwoven leather? I've bought a preloved Mulberry Lily on eBay but the brass chain is slightly tarnished and I'd like to clean it off but am worried about products damaging the leather.

Thanks in advance :smile:
If you want to clean the chain with brasso or a similar product, you'll have to remove the leather pieces, because they WILL get damaged. Then you'll just have to re-insert the leather strips into the chain and probably sew it at the point where you undid them to remove them in the first place.

If you're going to clean the chains MAKE SURE they are a solid metal - if it's plated gold and underneath is a different metal, you're going to ruin them.