Best Time To Exercise?

1. So, when is the best time to exercise? Or does it even matter? I've heard so many things about this topic. From exercising in the morning is better because you burn more calories throughout the day. And Exercising at night is better becuase it burns more calories while you sleep. So, is there really a "good" time to exercise? In my opinion, it's all goes towards the same thing or does it?

2. I have no idea...I have heard that if you work out in the morning you are burning off the stored fat. Otherwise you are mostly burning calories attained during the day?? *shrugs*

3. I like to exercise in the morning. I don't think it is a set time. It is better to get your exercising in no matter if it's morning or evening. The best time in my opinion is when you can get it in. It is better to exercise be it morning or evening than not exercising at all. :smile:

4. Personally, I excercise in the mornings. I wake up at 5:30 a.m. and go for a jog, then I come home and get ready for school. I feel much more relaxed and full of energy when I do get to exercise, totally the opposite when I dont.:flowers:

5. I like mornings, I have more engergy through out the day. If I work out at night I can't go to sleep.

6. I usually tend to exercise in the evening or night because if I do it in the morning I am sluggish and tired all day.

7. I have heard this many times and I find it to be true. The best time to exercise is when you have the time.

It will suck if you think there's a certain 'good' time to exercise and then when you can't make it at that time, you think there's no point in exercising. So you go in and out everyday not exercising because you're not free during the 'good' times. I know our bodies are very good in making excuses. I know if I tell my body that a certain time is good, my body will reply, "then we can only exercise during that time. Otherwise, maximum effort with minimum rewards, what's the point?!" and usually I would listen because I'm a lazy bum :p

Any exercise is good, no matter the time, me thinks.

8. I really believe the best time to exercise is first thing in the morning because your metabolism stays elevated long after you stop exercising, so you would continue to burn many more calories all day. Rather than excersing at night you would lose this advantage because your metabolism slows down considerably when you go to sleep.

9. Yes, also when you exercise you will first burn off primarily stored carbohydrates, before burning fat. If you exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you will have burned more stored carbohydrates while sleeping so you can start burning fat faster when you exercise.

10. From a physiological standpoint, first thing in the morning before breakfast.
    Since you have fasted all night your blood sugar and glycogen stores have all been depleted. The exercise will burn into your fat stores right away. Don't forget to eat a protein-rich breakfast following the exercise, otherwise your metabolism will be very slow throughout the day. Don't load up on carbs or your blood sugar will skyrocket.

11. Same here. :yes:

Also, I find that I'm far more likely to injure myself in the morning.

Isn't it just swings and roundabouts, anyway? :shrugs:

After all, if you burn off the food that you ate during the day, at least you don't put it on as fat overnight.

Surely maths says that you are burning off the same number of calories either way?

12. Yes, but as a preventative measure, exercising at night will stop you gaining fat from any excess food you have consumed during the day, won't it and if you haven't eaten excessively, it will cause you to lose weight overnight, lowered metabolism, or not? After all, there's little danger of you blowing it by eating whilst asleep (although, I have heard of it happening! :lol: ).

Whereas, if you exercise in the morning, as mentioned, this increases your metabolic rate and therefore your appetite and because you feel sluggish and hungry all day, you will be more likely to give in and eat more than you need; which you will then store as fat overnight. :shrugs:

Also, if you exercise in the morning and injure yourself, so you can't exercise for several days, that pretty much negates any possible advantage!

I say, do what suits you best. You know your body's strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else.

13. :lol: Agreed. :yes:

14. Anytime is good! As long as you're moving and getting your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes a day, you're getting the benefits of exercise and improving your health :smile: Do it when it's convenient for you, fits into your schedule, etc., so that you're consistent with it.

15. I agree with Cristina. Exercise whenever it's convenient for you. I tried exercising in the mornings before work, but I get never get up on time. The evenings work out a lot better for me. I have more energy and psychologically I feel like I am working off the stress from the day.