Best Spices ??

1. My favorite is Ras el Hanout, used in Moroccan cooking and it is divine.
  2. A really good black pepper is important to me; not the stuff you find in the grocery store, but the good variety that has a real bite to it. I use Watkins.

I'm not a huge spice person, I'm more of an herb person :yes: I'm not sure what these qualify as (herb or spice?) but I just bought Juniper berries the other day to play around with also.
  3. It's important to me that my spices are fresh.

I keep parsley, basil, mint, chives, and thyme plants so that I can always use fresh spices.
  4. basil leaves, garlic, cilantro, black pepper and rosemary are a must have for me!! I dont even need to add much salt using the right spices!!
  5. Yeah, I too try to go for fresh spices but I find that they go off before I can use them. Having said that, they are better/
  6. I grow fresh herbs, but I have a ton of spices in the pantry too.

I LOVE hot paprika, cardamom, jamaican curry, nutmeg (the whole kind that you grate yourself) and Goya adobo!
  7. Basil, cilantro, mint, and cumin. Cilantro is a must for mexican salsa! I use mint leaves on chicken stock/soup (after it's done, bring it to a boil, turn it off, add mint leaves and let it rest. It really gives it a kick!). Cumin is the best when you add it to ground beef (in small quantities, it has a strong flavour.)
  8. Freshly ground cardamom!

The Scandinavians use it the way we use cinnamon. Breads, etc.

My all time fav!
  9. Fresh flat leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil, sage and my all time favorite....poultry seasoning. Sprinkle on chicken or pork and grill to perfection ......YUMMMM!! :tup: