Best cuticle oil/cream?

Looking to buy one. I've used various ones in the past - none memorable.....I read a positive review about Badger Balm Cuticle Care and found that I can get it online with free shipping (yay), but thought I'd check here first if anyone else had any other suggestions - or also liked the Badger one.

I think I already commented in this thread before too, but I love the Badger Balm so much!! :tup:

I find that lanolin works really well. I use the pure stuff (ie, nipple cream!) after a shower or when I know I won't be using my hands much (relatively speaking) because it is quite sticky, but otherwise I use a lanolin-heavy balm that absorbs a bit better.

At arms length right now is CND Solar Oil (I have little bottles scattered literally everywhere) and Dior Creme Abricot. I layer the Dior over the CND at night.

I bought one of the unscented Rainbow Honey cuticle sticks... have been using that during the day as well as the CND for variety. Discreet to use as well which is a plus.

I am still searching. The Qtica cream and a Dermelect one are on the list to try. I vaguely recall a Julep something or other too.

What is it? My cuticles are soooo dry no matter what I do. Any recomendations?

I know this is a very old thread but I see that Cheryl is still active here on tPF and so I wanted to follow up and ask: What worked for you?

I'm also going to cheat and quote Iluvbags from a related thread here 'cuz I want to hear from you too! (I think this is better than re-activating two separate old threads on the same topic but anyone can please correct me if not):

OK I know that there is already a working thread for best cuticle cream.

But I NEED serious help. I'd like to ask a combination of TWO questions.

1. What cuticle oil or cream works best to penetrate dry cuticles? For those of us that need serious moisuture and not just a cream/oil that sits on top and then goes away.
  2. What cuticle creams/oils have you tried that DO NOT work for you? I'm working by process of elimination at this point because I feel like I've tried so many
I have seriously dry cuticles that never seem to go away. It's affecting my manicures because no matter how beautiful my polish looks, it's ruined by my dry cuticles.

Ive tried a number of oils but more seem to be temporary fixes. I've had better luck with cremes but am really trying to find one that works and cures with regular use.

Also those ladies of you with nail blogs that seem to always have perfect cuticles in pics.....HOW DO YOU DO IT???????:thinking:

Ladies: Did you find your HG cuticle oil??? How are your hands doing now?

The reason I ask:

I've just vowed to quit with the cuticle-cutting and want to actually HEAL this dried-up mess around my nails... I of course spent way too many hours here on tPF looking for recommendations but there are so many. Then yesterday I tried straight-up coconut oil and it seems to work really well! (Could it be that simple??) But I also am always a sucker for shopping :cool: so here I am with the research.

There are lots of ideas on these two threads already so really I am asking for results from any ladies who embarked on a fix for their dry cuticles way back when... How did it go? Any definitive word?

I find that a cuticle oil/cream that includes AHAs is best for this purpose. I use Poshé which you can find at Sally's. I hear that cuticle Eraser from CND also works well as does Formula X Erase from Sephora. The Alpha-Hydroxy Acids really help get rid of dead skin, in a way that the oils don't.

Oils and creams are there to nourish skin (and nail) and prevent dryness and products with AHAs and KOH (potassium hydroxide) are used to remove dead skin. You shouldn't use cuticle removing products to fight dry skin, but you definitely should use them instead of blade and then use some oil/cream/balsam afterwards. While many cuticle removers contain some nourishing ingredients, they shouldn't be used as often as oils.

I know this is a very old thread but I see that Cheryl is still active here on tPF and so I wanted to follow up and ask: What worked for you?

I'm also going to cheat and quote Iluvbags from a related thread here 'cuz I want to hear from you too! (I think this is better than re-activating two separate old threads on the same topic but anyone can please correct me if not):

Ladies: Did you find your HG cuticle oil??? How are your hands doing now?

The reason I ask:

I've just vowed to quit with the cuticle-cutting and want to actually HEAL this dried-up mess around my nails... I of course spent way too many hours here on tPF looking for recommendations but there are so many. Then yesterday I tried straight-up coconut oil and it seems to work really well! (Could it be that simple??) But I also am always a sucker for shopping :cool: so here I am with the research.

There are lots of ideas on these two threads already so really I am asking for results from any ladies who embarked on a fix for their dry cuticles way back when... How did it go? Any definitive word?
I like CND solar oil 2-3 times a day , and Burts Bees a couple times a day with a generous coat before bedtime. Also I use lotion frequently after hand washes . I really like the almond cocoa butter lotion from The Body Shop.

Oils and creams are there to nourish skin (and nail) and prevent dryness and products with AHAs and KOH (potassium hydroxide) are used to remove dead skin. You shouldn't use cuticle removing products to fight dry skin, but you definitely should use them instead of blade and then use some oil/cream/balsam afterwards. While many cuticle removers contain some nourishing ingredients, they shouldn't be used as often as oils.

Actually, there is a difference between cuticle removers like Cuticle Away, Melt Away, Blue Cross, Sally Hansen, etc., and exfoliators like Cuticle Eraser, Poshé, etc.. Cuticle removers usually contain Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide and have a pH of 12 and over, while exfoliators generally contain AHAs and a much lower pH. Cuticle removers can be very aggressive and work quickly; they should be used during a manicure and carefully washed off before proceeding. They usually contain moisturizing and soothing ingredients to offset the harsher remover ingredients. and they can also be dangerous to ingest. Cuticle exfoliators are more gentle and can be used daily, and left on more as maintenance. And then there are the cuticle creams and oils that simply soften and moisturize the cuticle (eponychium).

Some of this confusion is due to the incorrect use of the term "cuticle." The cuticle is the stuff left on the nail plate as it grows out; this is what cuticle removers and exfoliators seek to remove. The live skin at the base of the nail is properly called the eponychium and we don't want to remove that because it is a barrier to bacteria; we want to soften it.

Last edited:
My bad, I have confused Cuticle Eraser with Cuticle Away. Good thing you have clarified it and reminded me that I should check what I write twice before posting.

My bad, I have confused Cuticle Eraser with Cuticle Away. Good thing you have clarified it and reminded me that I should check what I write twice before posting.

It's a confusing situation. Do we want to remove or soften cuticles, eliminate or care for them? It would help if nail professionals used the right terms!

Last edited:
It's a confusing situation. Do we want to remove or soften cuticles, eliminate or care for them? It would help if nail professionals used the right terms!

This discussion is super helpful since I need to do both! Soften mostly, but also eliminate, now that the clippers are banned. Thanks NancyG for the detailed explanation, very helpful. Do you have any experience with the Deborah Lippmann cuticle remover? I'm trying to buy cruelty free and I know that she's CF. I'm open to other brands too so I'll be sure to look into the others that you've mentioned.

I remember reading Doug Schoon's article on that exact topic.

Thanks for that reference Cayca - I'd never heard of him. Here's the link to a PDF in case anyone is interested in the article.

http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/article-Where-Is-The-Cuticle.pdf