Best breeds for apartment dwellers?

1. And which ones to watch out for? I know each dog has its own individual personality, but I'd just like to know which ones are generally a better choice and which aren't. TIA!
  2. Doxies are great if you are willing to invest time everyday to make sure that they get a walk. I have a smallish apartment and a tiny side yard and my doxie is happy as a clam. He is also walked twice a day, gets whatever he wants and has a mountian of toys. He is a wonderful friend!
  3. The best breed for an apartment is a cat!

I'm both kidding and not....cos I've never thought of the dog as an animal who's super happy in that kind of environment. Dogs are high energy animals that need a lot of exercise.

How often is someone going to be home w/ the dog? Dogs get bored and tear stuff up and make you mad so to remedy that a lot of dogs are put in crates. But crating for hours and hours is cruel.

Our new neighbors have a pure bred weenie dog that they were ready to kill when they had an apartment and the moment that pup had a yard he was a pure angel when he was inside.

On the flip side of this....I have a friend who has a greyhound that she rescued from the track living w/ her in her apartment and that dog is a regular couch potato.

A lot of it has to do w/ the animal itself, certainly and I know a lot of people are super successful w/ a dog in an apartment....

I'm probably not helping at all! haha Sorry...just my thoughts!
  4. I have a small apartment & I have a Chihuahua. He seems very happy & has plenty of room to run around since he is so small. I also take him out for walks when I'm home.
  5. ^ITA...Chis are the best (LOL I am not biased or anything, though...) <--yeah right! ;)

If I were you, I would maybe look into adopting a dog that has lived (and done well) in an apartment with a previous owner.

That way, there will be no unexpected surprises.
  6. Definitely not a Jack Russell. Those dogs have oodles of energy and need a yard to run around in.

With a few exceptions, I don't believe that dogs should live in apartments.
  7. I lived in an apartment with my toy poodle for a few months (lived in a house, then apt. and now im back to house) and he was fine with it! Look into the really small breeds (toy poodle, chi, maltese, etc.)
  8. How about a cockapoo?
  9. PUGS! they are like people. All they want is some good food, a warm place to sleep, and to stay far away from the gym. I now live in a small apartment and my dog is the happiest she's ever been. The most important thing about getting a dog IMHO isn't the space that you're in, it's how much time you'll be spending at home with him/her.
  10. ^ That photo is so so SOOO cute! My bf doesn't like toy dogs. He says anything he might accidently roll onto in the night isn't his type. Lol. But a pug is a good idea. They're cute and sturdy little guys.

I love big dogs but I know I can't get a Siberian Husky or a Dalmation as they're too high energy. I like the idea of getting a dog who's lived in an apartment before, though. Especially with a cat...since I have one right now. The only reason I've been hesitant to get a mature dog is because the thought of them dying really scares me and so I want to see their whole life through, KWIM?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely look into the breeds you guys suggested. This won't be for anytime soon. I'm looking for a full-time job right now so I have to secure that first (and then I'll be able to tell whether I can get home at lunch time, etc.) and also move into my new apartment but I just wanted to get a head start and not rush into it. :smile:
  11. stay away from sporting breeds. go for toy breeds :smile:. little dogs are best because the can easily get their exercise in an apartment.
  12. I would stick to dogs under 10 lbs. I live in NYC, and although I see people with big dogs in my building (one person even has a greyhound), it kind of makes me sad. Even though I think all dogs would llike a nice big yard to run around in, I think a smaller dog is more appropriate for an apartment. Plus if you are going to be out all day, you could put down pads in case you don't get home in time to walk them.
  13. How about a rescued greyhound whose racing days are behind him? Not only will you save a life, but they are SWEET SWEET dogs who are LAZY! They love to lounge around, enjoy a good meal and take the occasional stroll. I highly suggest adopting versus purchasing a purebred.

I know you said you didn't want to get an adult dog because you're scared of it dying, but adult dogs in shelters WILL DIE if you do not adopt them. It would be great if you could find an adult dog in a shelter who has done apartment life and give him a second chance.
  14. Grayhounds are actually great apartment dogs! They're not naturally super high energy... and there are so many that need homes.
  15. There are also Whippets and Italian Greyhounds that are smaller. They also have rescue groups.