Being overcharged for shipping !!

I guess for me it depends. In general, I find that the shipping cost is always within about $3 (more or less) of the price I paid. There have been a few times, however, that I paid for shipping that was extraordinarily higher than the price of the shipping they actually used.

An Australian seller once charged me $45 for "signed for" & "registered" international shipping but then once I received the package, the envelope said 10 AUD. I completely understand that some sellers factor in "handling", time, etc., but they should mention that in their shipping details or at least make it a reasonable percentage. 35 AUD (I believe about $39 at the time of the exchange rate) for handling seemed like a lot to me at the time.

In general though, I just factor the shipping price in as part of the cost of the item so I feel like overall, I have always gotten good deals.

^^Thanks for that info. I just took pics and weighed a couple on bathroom scale and it looks like packages are about 5-8 lbs before packaging.

Can you or anyone tell me what you've found to be the best/cheapest route when shipping big box items. I'm not so sure usps is the best route. Maybe UPS??
I think some of my final weights will be around 10-12 lbs.

But I think I really need to roll prices into my final cost and offer free shipping to not cause undue stress on buyer. But buyers do know these items come packaged in big boxes with foam fitted to figurine. Then to be safe, I want to pack in another box.

Question for frequent ebay sellers...I am new to selling and just sold my first item this past weekend. I sell figurines and a few purses. But trying to unload figurines.

My question has to do with calculating costs...even if I include in the price of item or not. Figurines come in boxes, but I end up having to put in another box to protect item. Do you have a special way of weighing your package...such as buying a special scale; going to post office and having item weighed; or just putting on bathroom scale and weighing? Do you use the postage/shipping calculators on ebay?

Sorry for this to sound so naive, but I am trying to prepare myself before I start listing other pieces that weigh more.

Just want to get opinions on ways others handle the weight issue of shipping and how they figure things out as far as costs. I see that shipping can be a touchy issue with buyers, but in this instance, shipping will get costly due to weight of items being shipped. Just any feedback would be helpful to this "brand new seller".
Thanks

We have an electronic scale, and I find a box for the item, then after describing it, I box it roughly and weigh it. That's how I get my shipping figures. I add a few ounces to allowing for the weight of the packing materials. If I collect too much, I refund when I print the shipping label. I print through E-bay postage. If I have a priority package, I arrange a pickup and the mail carrier picks up my packages at the house, saving a trip to the post office. If I collect too much for shipping, I issue a refund as soon as a print the label.

We have an electronic scale, and I find a box for the item, then after describing it, I box it roughly and weigh it. That's how I get my shipping figures. I add a few ounces to allowing for the weight of the packing materials. If I collect too much, I refund when I print the shipping label. I print through E-bay postage. If I have a priority package, I arrange a pickup and the mail carrier picks up my packages at the house, saving a trip to the post office. If I collect too much for shipping, I issue a refund as soon as a print the label.

That's what a professional seller should do...

That about sums it up:smile:. I hadn't looked at the option for using the postage through Ebay. I just read up on it and it saves the trips back and forth. Thanks!