Before Using Isotretinoin (accutane) / Accutane and Pregnancy.

1. In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For isotretinoin, the following should be considered:

1. Allergies:
    Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to isotretinoin, acitretin, etretinate, tretinoin, or vitamin A preparations.

2. Pregnancy:
    Isotretinoin must not be taken during pregnancy because it causes birth defects in humans.

3. Breast-feeding
    Isotretinoin should not be used during breast-feeding because it may cause unwanted effects in nursing babies.

4. Children
    Children may have the side effects of back, joint, or muscle pain more often than adults.

5. Older adults
    Older people may have a greater risk of problems and adverse effects when taking isotretinoin.

Information on the development, history and legacy of Accutane:
    http://www.accutane-info.com

Accutane and Pregnancy: Guidelines for Females
    1. Accutane and Pregnancy
    2. Accutane and Birth Control
    3. Accutane and Breastfeeding

Accutane and Pregnancy
    http://www.accutane-info.com/pregnancy.php

2. yeah your doc makes you sign a whole booklet and you get a pregnancy test every month before they give you a new refill. i was on it two years ago.

anyone here have kids AFTER being on accutane? everything ok?

3. Yes, I had two healthy kids after Accutane! :smile: I was on it in 2001 right before my September wedding, and stayed on it til November 2001. My healthy son was born June 2003, and my daughter was born in January 2005. I just finished my second course of Accutane because the cystic acne came back.

However, this time, I came out of the treatment with elevated LDL cholesterol. (this didn't happen the first time) I'm seeing my internist in a couple weeks for another blood test to see if it came down.

4. thats great thanks!

wow it came back?? hope that doesn't happen to me :sad:

5. I'm on my third round of it, but no kiddies for me so time will tell. I took a full-blown dose back in HS when I was 16..alot less restrictions than they have now. I've also taken 2 "mini-doses", including the one I'm on now. My skin wasn't horrible, but it doesn't respond to any other antiobiotic.:tdown:

My mom got pregnant with me after being off Accutane for only 2 weeks, and I *think* I turned out ok. It's scary though b/c her doctors and all her friends were telling her to abort the baby. I was the baby that almost wasn't.:wtf:

6. wow two weeks?! my derm said to be careful about getting pg after being on it because it stay in your system for a month.

my skin is the same way it doesn't respond to antibiotic pills for acne. well i'm hoping i wont have to be back on accutane again :sad: i've been clear for the pass 3 years