BBC Historical Drama Versailles to Air in US Oct 1st

Watched it last evening.. The costumes & the settings were breathtaking.. Anxiously awaiting for the
rest of the episodes to air..
Nice to see a period piece like this as opposed to some other TV that is mediocre

What did everyone think?

I thought it was ok. Comparing it to the Tudors, so far, it is a little darker, pushes the envelope more in terms of shock value. Love the costumes. Saw a documentary that said the courtiers really did have to watch Louis get dressed, go to bed, watch a royal birth etc. Doesn't sound so glamorous and exciting if you think everyone had to stand around for hours and silently watch these things!! I am intrigued enough to keep watching. Glad that creepy dwarf is dead. Like the love/hate dynamic between Louis and Philippe

Well, my loves, I am super late to the party, but I just binge-watched half of season one and I love this show. The costumes are off the charts, and it's a wonderful escape, and absolutely delicious. Great cast.

Reactions: melissatrv
I caught up and I love it. I found it on The Movie Network (I'm so glad I did! I love this stuff!) and I can't wait till next season.

I remember telling my dad about the show and talking about how much I loved his hair and that he should have been called Louis Lovely Locks!

I thought it was ok. Comparing it to the Tudors, so far, it is a little darker, pushes the envelope more in terms of shock value. Love the costumes. Saw a documentary that said the courtiers really did have to watch Louis get dressed, go to bed, watch a royal birth etc. Doesn't sound so glamorous and exciting if you think everyone had to stand around for hours and silently watch these things!! I am intrigued enough to keep watching. Glad that creepy dwarf is dead. Like the love/hate dynamic between Louis and Philippe
Louis (or his brother) was the one who set up the etiquette at court, and I could see how people who have been at Versailles for a long time are just used to that being the way things were.

I could also see why Marie Antoinette (who came in not being used to that) would want to get away from that every once in a while. I remember that scene in the Sofia Coppola-directed movie where there was constant reshuffling, social standing wise every time a new person came in to figure out who got to hand the ladies dressing her the next thing (because that honor belonged to the highest ranking person in the room) and all the while, Marie Antoinette was standing there, shivering and half naked.

That has got to be annoying. At one point, she said, "This is ridiculous!" and someone said to her, "This is Versailles."

She wanted La Petit Trianon because she wanted a place where she could relax with people of her choosing and not be on display and worry about etiquette all the time.

Well, my loves, I am super late to the party, but I just binge-watched half of season one and I love this show. The costumes are off the charts, and it's a wonderful escape, and absolutely delicious. Great cast.
I love how accurate they are! There were loads of complaints about The Tudors' costuming and how not accurate they were. I'm not mad at the look of the costumes, but the fact that Versailles's costumes were accurate as well as beautiful gives me more of an appreciation for them.

George Blagden did an interview and he said that he has a newfound respect for women walking in high heels. He also gave an interview where he told a story about shooting. He was wearing a five layer costume and he was roasting. He asked if he could remove some of the layers and the costume lady wouldn't let him because it would ruin the historic silhouette.

Speaking of costumes in Versailles, a scene reminded me of an art exhibit I saw with my parents about the color pink in the history of fashion and when it became considered a "girl's" color.

(That's why I was talking to my dad about the show .)

There was an embroidered pink velvet outfit on display worn by someone at the court of Louis XVI.

I could see that in the show. He and his brother (and especially him!) were in these sumptuous golds and reds - no pink yet! - and all the ladies are in muted colors. (It even said that at the exhibit - women at the time wore blues and grays and men wore suits like these.)

Attachments

• Think Pink.jpg
    Think Pink.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 106
Yeah the men were much more feminine looking then, big wigs, makeup, high shoes. That is a beautiful costume, I wonder when it did become a girl's color. I remember selling my house, post divorce....it was just me and I painted the bedroom a rosy beige. The realtor said it looked pink and that since this was the master, I needed to paint it white or true beige or else it would put off the husbands or male buyers. I have looked at paint samples in Lowes etc and picked out taupes and asked random men what color it looked like to them and they would say "pink". Funny how men today freak out so much about it.

Speaking of costumes in Versailles, a scene reminded me of an art exhibit I saw with my parents about the color pink in the history of fashion and when it became considered a "girl's" color.

(That's why I was talking to my dad about the show .)

There was an embroidered pink velvet outfit on display worn by someone at the court of Louis XVI.

I could see that in the show. He and his brother (and especially him!) were in these sumptuous golds and reds - no pink yet! - and all the ladies are in muted colors. (It even said that at the exhibit - women at the time wore blues and grays and men wore suits like these.)