"Batwings" in chevre, vache liegee, togo etc.--when, how severe, any cure?

My Togo Birkin straps hang nicely when the bag is open...my Box Birkin straps sort of stick out like Gina explains above.....does this change as the bag gets older and used more?

I'm a top flap tucker inner and a straps in place over the lock girl. I like a neater look and the bag is still open for me. It isn't too open so that things fall out and it works well for me. I do this for 25,30 and 35cm sizes. I guess batwings aren 't for me.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. This phenomenon is a lot more involved than I would have guessed:

1. Soft leathers have this tendency the most, but not always, ie., Moviegirl's new box 35.
2. Large bags seem to have this the most, too, and maybe HACs in particular?
3. Bags of the same size and leather can behave differently, like in the case of wongnumber's two ostrich bags.
4. Older togo has a different texture and may be more suseptible than newer togo--keep us posted, orchids!

So we can make educated guesses about the leathers, but in the end anything can and does happen.... :flowers: Anyone with vache liegee experiences to share?

mizzle, I have a 35cm Vache Liegee (see MarketPlaza) and because of the sturdy nature of VL, no batwings. The shape of the Birkin is upheld very very well. It's a tad firmer than box.

Mssparkles - does your Vache Liegee scratch easily. How long have you had your VL? I am a little more paranoid with this one but my JPG in clemence I didn't worry about scratches or scrapes at all.

Mssparkles - does your Vache Liegee scratch easily. How long have you had your VL? I am a little more paranoid with this one but my JPG in clemence I didn't worry about scratches or scrapes at all.

djsmom, my VL 35cm Birkin is in pristine condition because I'd only used it a couple of times. And it's only 4 months old. I'm selling this in MarketPlaza because I find 35cm too big for me. (all my other birkins are 30cm as I am only 5 ft 3")

But, I can tell you straightway that VL is made to last a very very long time. It's durability comes with a heavy price tag because of the treatment VL leather goes through to get this durable. Hermes used VL for its luggage bags long before it was used for ladies handbags. If I am not mistaken, there are men's messenger bags made in VL, and they have no problem throwing their VL messenger bags around, and absolutely no harm comes to them.

Here's the write-up about Vache Liegee in HG's leather book in the Reference section of this sub-forum:-

VACHE LIEGEE:

An adult cowhide, this is a natural grained leather. It has been stated on this forum that the leather is stretched in 8 different directions. Apparently this process gives the leather its rigidity, which is why its touted as being as durable as box. The two-tone effect is a result of a 2 dye process. The grain makes this leather scratch resistant, but care must be taken in avoiding deep scratches. The 2 tone effect will be difficult to regain with deep scratches.

Grace & GF,
I am also going to try keeping the straps on the turn key! That is a great idea. do you guys keep the lock on the turn key also to complete the look or do you not incase you have to un do the straps in a hurry

This is a GREAT thread!!~

I have only a little bit of knowledge because I tend to stick with only a few leathers. However, in terms of "chevre" , I have found that there is degrees of slouching depending on the type of chevre, obviously. My Chevre de Coromandel 35cms. really do not slouch, they maintain their shape well. The Chevre Mysore does slouch a bit more, forming a bit of batwing, only slightly. The most prominent slouch, and this is obvious, (but I just experienced this myself for the first time), is with the Chevre de Coromandel Souple in a Birkin, really is 'souple' and will slouch a little upon use all the while maintaining the general Chevre shape ---- so it is a very different. I love all 3 of these skins, with the regular ole CdC being my favorite, and it is the one that maintains its shape the best out of these 3 types.

Thank you for the info. on chevre, Sarah-girl! :smile: The regular ole CdC is definitely my favorite! :heart: :heart: :heart: I also find that my regular CdC birkins hold their shape very well with no slouch.

I've not seen Chevre Coromandel souple in a Birkin...would love to see one & how it holds its shape :rolleyes:

i have a 35 choc box birkin and it's almost 4 months old. i've used it quite a bit (i never overstuff it) and so the leather has softened up....which is why i thought i was getting the batwing phenomenon. i'm constantly having to tighten the straps bc it slides out of the hooks. kinda annoying bc it makes the bag appear larger. i guess i wouldn't mind if this happened on a 30cm, since it's a smaller bag.

I just bought a Togo 35 CM birkin. I am excited to see what it does. Since the batwing issue doesn't bother me, I think I will be happy overall with this bag.